Hi, I think this might be my first post. I have a couple small sites with eBay as one of the merchants. I was on befree before things changed recently.

Tracking sales over 2 networks is hard enough but these reversals are really making it difficult to know where I'm at. Now the reversals seemed to have stopped. Well either that or I'm really lucky. The last reversals I see are from the 7th. When are these transactions supposed to show up?

I can't answer your question, but I have another.

Since Feb 1, eBay has been reversing transactions that occured in February. Those transactions are marked as "Locked".

Will those reversals be taken out of my account with the check that will be generated on Feb 20? If so, then are we essentially giving eBay money that we have yet to see?

Or will those transactions somehow not be included in the Feb 20 check, but other reversals will?

Ralph

http://www.hockeydb.com

Hey Ralph,

How about that 7 day versus 90 day EPC over on the Canada program, eh?

Something appears to be very wrong.

Hi, Nexonic. Welcome to ABW!

eBay reversals seem to be somewhat sporadic lately, although I haven't had any come through in the past few days.

What I'd like to know is how they determine *WHICH* publisher to reverse. I find it hard to believe that a visitor clicking through a very targeted editor kit link is going to somehow grab another cookie before bidding. Unless, of course, eBay itself is somehow setting a cookie on their own site, which overrides all others.

I certainly hope that isn't the case, although there is something very definitely wrong with eBay lately.

Andy

Well, I spoke too soon. The eBay "Returned Merchandise" bid reversals have started again.

And once again, it would appear about 25% of my targeted visitors, who click on a link in an editor kit and go to a very specific auction, are somehow picking up another publisher's cookie...and I'm getting the reversal. I just don't buy it. Not at all.

Maybe Todd could explain how this could be feasible, especially so frequently on a targeted site with very targeted visitors.

Andy

How about this scenario:

1) User clicks on your eBay link and sees something he wants. But he decides to look around a bit more.

2) User loses interest.

3) User remembers about eBay a day or so later. User goes to MSN.com's home page, searches for eBay. #1 search item is eBay.com.

4) User clicks on MSN's search result, and gets eBay cookie for MSN (as well as the one that CJ put on your site). Notice that their link is via adfarm.mediaplex.com.

5) eBay analyzes this user's cookies, and finds that MSN is the last cookie, not you.

That would explain it exactly.

Ralph

Ralph,

You are correct that it is the last click that gets the credit. But, my sources tell me that it's other CJ affiliates that are doing the overwrite and the MSN stuff isn't a large factor.

ABW Ambassador
    How come the epc has dropped to 44 cents?

Are they reversing bids if the user returned through a search engine listing? Is it tracking? Is it the parasites (when the ebay terms still state 'no incentive' sites)? Are they hiring someone to pilfer our commissions in some other way?

Something is fishy here, will there be a class action? (what does anyone have to lose when we are only getting 44 cents per 100 click thrus?).

jimbo2002,

eBay is now accepting incentive and loyalty sites. This is effective as of February 1st, I believe.

Ralph,

I know the visitors to my site fairly well. They are not very likely, in most cases, to wait that long to bid. I'm certain 99% of them click and bid immediately, without doing much looking.

I've run quite a few polls on my site over the years, and my visitors love them. I get lots of information from them. I suppose they could by lying to me, but I don't see what purpose that would serve.

Yet I'm supposed to believe that 1 out of 4 visitors clicks on another eBay link and sets a new cookie between clicking on my editor kit link and bidding? I don't think so. No way.

Plus, I know for a fact that some bids aren't tracking, as I've placed bids myself and won auctions that never tracked. CJ can't figure out why they didn't track, so I'm waiting while they research.

Nope, I'm not buying any excuses right now. Something is with eBay right now.

Andy

Check the click date on the transaction, and compare it to the event date.

For example, I have 15 eBay sales with an event date of today; of those 15, only 5 have a click date of today; one has a click date of 1/27, one is 2/8, one is 2/10, 2 are 2/12, 1 is 2/14, and 3 are 2/15.

My link shows the results of an eBay search for a hockey card of a player that the person is researching. It doesn't get much more direct than that.

Experienced eBay bidders often wait before bidding on an item; they try and snipe it closer to the end date.

I still can't figure out why a certain percentage of people sign up for eBay but never bid. Why go through that trouble if you're not going to use the account? That always made me suspect lead tracking.

Ralph,

I really don't understand the timing. At one point it only took a couple days but now its been a week. I would assume that the reversed transactions would be applied before the cheques go out.

Its quite funny seeing these nickel reversals...Ebay has really gone in the dumps in the last couple of months,

Ah, I just had my only active registration for this month, reversed. Returned merchandise, eh?

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread