Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I increased my traffic to cj.com merchants but sales do not come in. It is highly targeted traffic and I suspect that a lot of visitors do buy with my merchants. As I found out most of my merchants overwrite cookies so that I am not credited for that. I am not willing to promote any cookie overwriting merchant which finally steals my commissions. We affiliates should not drive traffic to merchants without geting paid for our sales. Merchants and parasites like ebates do live from our traffic. They are not able to reach the customers as we can. So as cj.com does nothing against commission stealing by merchants and parasitic affiliates I and perhaps a lot of us should stop sending them traffic and customers.

carneol

Hi Carneol,
    I have also another similar experience. I am working with cj from 2 years. I feel that I was lucky that I chose very good merchants in start so got very good results. But Now I am increasing my sites and adding more and more new merchants. But I am surprise that I have very strange report for some merchants. I have joined few new merchant and I am giving them a lot traffic and some sales, but it is surprise that their all sales become reverse in comming months. Even some never approve any sale at all. All they do is REVERSE. And if I compare to my reversal in other merchant they have just 1 or 2 reversal in 100 sales. But these new merchant are reversing each sale and I see just 10% sales ok in 100 sales and rest 90% sales are reverse in these new merchant. I am still looking to their reports and monitoring them, but does anybody else have same experience. Is this normal or merchant have joined cj for just reversal purpose.

regards
    kamal.

Kamaluddin Panhwar
    Commission is good comming from only sales and will live long.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    Is this normal or merchant have joined cj for just reversal purpose.

That is NOT normal in my experience. Legit programs should have only a few reversals. It sounds like you have found some crooks!

Which merchants are these super reversal maniacs, anyway?

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

ABW Ambassador
    I a agree, Carneol. I started taking off the remaining links this morning. As of this afternoon there will be no more promotion for CJ merchants at all.

Just waiting for one merchant to leave CJ, as they said they will, and then all CJ links are coming down here, too.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

I'm doing OK with CJ this month, sales are down about 10% from the previous month, though.
    Other networks sales are down by more than 75%.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Seems like CJ gathers in the sales stats from their merchant pool and pin points those who do convert. They then smooze the merchant and AM with very few refusals to enroll them in Gator/WhenU/ebates/180Solutions for a recruitment fee. Then all those merchants get trashed on conversions ratios for their normal domain bound affiliates.

CJ's datafeed is designed to power the DUPER comparision shopping engines and more and more CJ merchants ARE setting house account and cross account sister company cookies to overwrite affiliate return day cookies. Between the drive-by BHO's POS sales hijackers and the cookie stuffing by both affiliates and merchants the chances of gettting a perfoming merchant is slim.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Is this "Valueclick" effect?

Naw, it's a rerun of the year 2000...

Leader, I respect your opinion but I don't think so.

I think CJ has set out to misuse the small affiliate and wring every cent they can out of their affiliate pool. They won't rest until we are wrung out, thrown down and stomped on.

They don't CARE if we make money. We are just numbers used to lure merchants which they then just toss to the parasites so that they get commissions on what should be the merchant's free traffic from their own listings as well as commissions from customers sent from our sites. Our commissions are sops they throw to the parasites to get their hands on a cut of the merchants self generated traffic.

CJ is using the affiliates big time and the merchants are paying a monthly fee to be "pleasured" in this way. The AMs are using false numbers to make it look like they accomplished something and get their cut of the pie.

The biggest losers are the merchants who pay commissions where none should be due. And, we don't do so well, either.

In response, to try to make money on the affiliate program, the merchants are resorting to dirty tricks, themselves; extended payments, false reversals, overwriting affiliate cookies. They have a good set of coaches at CJ to teach them the tricks of how to "pleasure" us! Merchants who are not associated with CJ don't have the value of CJ's advice.

This is not cyclical. If it were, the indies would be suffering, too.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

[This message was edited by SSanf on February 16, 2004 at 12:53 PM.]

I removed the remaingin CJ ads a few days ago. I had put some back up as a test and guess what? The test failed. Lots of traffic, lots of impressions but no results. Better for me to give the ad exposure to programs that have a chance of converting to a sale.

I read the reposonses that CJ finally gave to the 1800 and ncase situation and cookie overwrites. From my point of view, the response is not satifactory but it does explain why the performance of CJ programs is so poor.

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

quote:
    Originally posted by SSanf:
    I think CJ has set out to misuse the small affiliate and wring every cent they can out of their affiliate pool. They won't rest until we are wrung out, thrown down and stomped on.
    That is just asinine. CJ is more focused on the small affiliate than any of the other major networks.

Just look at all the things they do for affiliates:

1) They were the first network to publish merchant EPC numbers.
    2) They consolidate checks, so minimums are not a problem with individual merchants.
    3) They require most merchants to maintain a balance, greatly reducing the chances of not getting paid.
    4) They were partially responsible for the code of conduct.
    5) They are very active here.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

quote:
    That is just asinine.

I agree with SSanf, Michael. Maybe I'm just getting spoiled but I've gotten used to the idea of actually getting a check in the mail for my efforts. What good is a consolidated payment when I don't get credit? All the stats at CJ have done for me is encourage me to keep running ads.

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

Wasn't that something that Lex Sisney did before he walked out of the office for the last time?

2) They consolidate checks, so minimums are not a problem with individual merchants.

Another Lex Sisney thing.

3) They require most merchants to maintain a balance, greatly reducing the chances of not getting paid.

Not any more. That was Lex Sisney's thing. CJ now extends credit and no longer guarantees payment.

Well, that sure doesn't speak too well for them.

Yeah, come in to try to spin things they have done to shaft us from time to time.

The things you mentioned were for the most part things that Lex Sisney did to make CJ the greatest affiliate network there was. CJ was sold and bought by barbarians who came to r@pe and pilliage.

Lex Sisney's gone and the barbarians are at the gates! Heck, they're in the house!

CJ has now set out to misuse the small affiliate and wring every cent they can out of their affiliate pool. They won't rest until we are wrung out, thrown down and stomped on!!

WHAT HAS CJ DONE TO PUT VALUE INTO A CLICK, LATELY?

[This message was edited by SSanf on February 16, 2004 at 01:26 PM.]

quote:
    That is just asinine. CJ is more focused on the small affiliate than any of the other major networks.

Just look at all the things they do for affiliates:

Thanks Michael - I appreciate your rational thoughts/comments.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

WHAT HAS CJ DONE TO PUT VALUE INTO A CLICK, LATELY?

ABW Ambassador
    Come on Todd, that's not your class.

carneol

Ssanf, it couldn't get more the same if you Xeroxed it. The only difference at all is that this time, YOU'RE saying CJ has gone to the dogs instead of MichlAngel(sp). Oh, and this time I hope to remember the lesson of 2000, which was not to waste too much energy on those leaving the arena!

quote:
    This is not cyclical. If it were, the indies would be suffering, too.

And they ARE suffering, except for the one I have that's actually worth a darn.

quote:
    What has CJ done to put value in a click, lately?

It is not the job of any network to put one iota of value into a click. And it had better not *become* their job, either! That's for affiliates to do!!!

Well said Leader.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Every respect to Leader who I do respect immensely but that is only wishful thinking.

Way too many other people here have reported different results. Are they all liars? Or, do they just not understand their own numbers? Do they only see what they want to see? Are their samples too small? Or, are they telling what is really going on?

How many times have you read someone post, "I got rid of CJ and my numbers went up," or similar words to that effect?

I am not going on a hunt for old posts. But, it seems to me I have read it a whole lot.

I've been kind of ignoring the people who complain about CJ and eBay.

Then last week I noticed that a small site I manage for a nonprofit hasn't had a CJ sale for several months, and I couldn't find out how long they wait before closing the account.

So next time I wanted to make an eBay bid I did it from that site's links. In fact, I was immediately outbid, so I went back to the site again and clicked through again before making another bid. So there were two bids they should have been credited with.

I just went and checked the stats again. After about 4 days the 2 nickels don't show on the stats.

So I guess I'll stop adding new CJ merchants, and gradually replace the ones I have. Too bad, they were the very best at one time.

quote:
    Way too many other people here have reported different results. Are they all liars? Or, do they just not understand their own numbers? Do they only see what they want to see? Are their samples too small? Or, are they telling what is really going on?...
    I have researched enough of these concerns to know that when reading these posts we are not always getting the whole story. Yes, the numbers are sometimes too small to make statistical sense. yes, some may be lying. Yes, some may be generating fewer commissions. I also know that many of you here continue to generate more commissions each month.

Go figure.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

When CJ decided to throw us to the parasites, they lost all credibility. Now, any affiliate can become a parasite and it is hunky dory with them. No matter what CJ merchant you use, if you aren't now, you will soon be eaten alive. Your CJ cookies will never get to the check out.

Heck, your merchandise won't even be seen on many computers because CJ images are blocked along with the links.

When you lie down with dogs, you rise up with fleas. CJ decided that was perfectly OK with them.

quote:
    When CJ decided to throw us to the parasites, they lost all credibility. Now, any affiliate can become a parasite and it is hunky dory with them.

This is not true. I disagree with your opinion.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

If I were the only voice in the wind, I could be considered a kook. But, there are too many reporting the same thing over and over again. Now, you tell us the door is open for anyone at all to be a parasite http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...865#5916079865 and steal the benefit of our hard work and efforts. So, tell me why would anyone ever add another CJ merchant from this time forward when so many report better results from using non-CJ resources who don't have all the problems?

[This message was edited by SSanf on February 16, 2004 at 02:29 PM.]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast