Hot off the press!

Dear KBtoys.com Affiliate:
    Select LeapFrog Learning Toys on Sale Now
    Hop on this great opportunity to promote big savings on one of our best-performing brands. For one week only, we're featuring select LeapFrog Learning Toys at 20% off regular prices. Sale ends February 23, 2004.

Excuse me, but I pulled KB in early December and had over five grand in sales reversed so far. Should I *really* promote this sale?

Are there still affiliates promoting this company?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

ABW Ambassador
    Hop On!

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

I'm sure they don't think you mind about being stiffed on your commissions. So much for the CJ escrow that was supposed to guarantee your commissions. Oh, it can't be that.

What do you mean by sending KBtoys.com all those fraudulent bogus sales that had to be reversed?
    You should be ashamed!

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Dear KBtoys.com Affiliate:
    Select LeapFrog Learning Toys on Sale Now
    Hop on this great opportunity to promote big savings on one of our best-performing brands. For one week only, we're featuring select LeapFrog Learning Toys at 20% off regular prices. Sale ends February 23, 2004.

TRANSLATION:

Dear KBToys.com Affiliate:
    We really need more money, even though we've already screwed you out of your commissions. We'd like for you to push these select LeapFrog Learning Toys that are on sale now. Hop on and give us the opportunity to rape you again, it's one of our best ways of making money! You do the promotion, we reverse the commission! But hurry, because we hear word is getting out about what pigs we are, and we know there won't be many of you stupid enough to promote us in another couple of weeks.

KBToys

Andy

I'm still promoting them. They are supposedly maintaining the escrow now after the bankruptcy. Not much we can do about the lost commissions from the month and a half before the bankruptcy (besides filing a claim), but I don't see a problem going forward. Many affiliates probably won't continue with them, just out of principle.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

quote:
    They are supposedly maintaining the escrow now
    And, CJ let them get by with not maintaining the escrow before the bankruptcy because.....?

Did CJ fail in its fiduciary responsibility to affilates, perhaps?

Was CJ forced by a court to return the money owed to affiliates because of the bankrupcy or did they never bother to responsibly maintain the balance in the escrow in the first place?

Were affiliates ever notified that the funds were low and their commissions were at risk so that they had an option of using a different toy merchant? If not, why not?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

CJ does not require an escrow with all of their merchants. Some of their larger merchants are allowed to pay after the fact.

I think at the VERY LEAST, CJ should let us know which merchants aren't required to maintain an escrow. IDEALLY, CJ should take financial responsibility when THEY extend credit to merchants, rather than pushing the risk off on their affiliates.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

quote:
    Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    I'm still promoting them.

I fail to see why anyone in their right mind would give KBToys a second chance to rip them off? Especially with all the unanswered CJ questions presented here. Todd is doing such a bang-up job answering them too. I ditched CJ four months ago because of their nonchalant stance towards parasites. I'll admit some of the other networks aren't doing much better. I'm weeding them out too. Michael, you can have my share of the networks and good luck to ya.

quote:
    Originally posted by BradleyB:
    I fail to see why anyone in their right mind would give KBToys a second chance to rip them off?
    I never claimed to be sane.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

quote:
    CJ should take financial responsibility when THEY extend credit to merchants, rather than pushing the risk off on their affiliates.

When credit is extended by CJ without the knowledge or consent of the third party to the contract, the affiliates, CJ should assume the entire financial responsibility for the results of that extended credit. When CJ makes a mistake, they should absorb the cost of that mistake, not the affiliates.

quote:
    Originally posted by SSanf:
    When credit is extended by CJ without the knowledge or consent of the third party to the contract, the affiliates, CJ should assume the entire financial responsibility for the results of that extended credit. When CJ makes a mistake, they should absorb the cost of that mistake, not the affiliates.
    It would be nice if that were true, but our contract with CJ says otherwise.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

To me, this is a question of business ethics, not what is legal. CJ dropped the ball by letting the fox in the henhouse. They should fix it.

ABW Ambassador
    I am just too glad that we saw it coming and decided not to promote them this holiday season, good fortune indeed!

It does seem like this issue should definitely be addressed. Has anyone called Todd directly about this?

quote:
    but our contract with CJ says otherwise.

Yes, they have you signing a blank check.

The results are that many people promoted this merchant with absolutely no knowledge of the true circumstances of their finances. This was particularly hurtful to affiliates because it was during the Christmas season when much of the money for the year is made.

CJ left the affiliates out in the rain without an umbrella.

Affiliates have just cause to demand a change in the contract and should now do so.

I am now suggesting what some of the changes should be.

Look it has been proven that you cannot trust CJ to protect your interests on this and many other issues. You must protect them yourselves. That means at this juncture, affiliates had better start getting tough with CJ. If that means seeking elsewhere for programs, then start looking. Look hard. Unless you just want to keep going through this kind of thing. CJ has no reason to do ANYTHING different unless you force them to by making other choices. Then and only then will they be motivated to start addressing affiliate issues.

Sure, I would like to use some more CJ merchants and it is a nice easy interface that doesn't require a lot of brain power. But, I'm not going to do it unless they become better partners for affiliates. Besides, I make more money using other resources, anyway.

I would like to see someone from the board, someone with a legal background, who is smarter than I am, draft a NEW contract that addresses some of the things that should be changed and present it to CJ as a request for change from the affiliates.

If we spell out exactly and precisely what we want, it might help.

[This message was edited by SSanf on February 19, 2004 at 12:32 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I think you are suggesting that CJ require all merchants to maintain a positive balance (pay in advance).

If so, I do not think it will work. Retailers do not pay for things in advance.

If CJ imposes such a requirement, the retailers might go to another network

(yielding a competitive advantage to the networks, unless the affiliates migrated to CJ, which they would not do, not for this).

quote:
    Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    I think you are suggesting that CJ require all merchants to maintain a positive balance (pay in advance).

If so, I do not think it will work. Retailers do not pay for things in advance.

That’s a crock! When I started my business I bought with credit, what a bad business decision that is. NOW I always pay COD or in-advanced; the manufactures give me better deals this way. Whether it’s your life or business going on credit all the time is not a good business move. Personally I will always be in business and never so far in debt that I turn into 50% of these dot coms BANKRUPT!

SandraR
    | SSAN & AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN & Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |

quote:
    Originally posted by Akiva:
    To clarify a few issues about CJ in general:

- CJ still requires pre-payment in escrow
    - Merchant must maintain a minimum in their account at all times
    - CJ invoices some merchants based on estimated payouts for a month
    - CJ does not deactivate a merchant if the merchant replenishes the account within a few days (they contact the merchant by email and phone)
    - CJ does not want to just deactivate programs since doing so would serve no purpose to anyone if the merchant made a mistake

If you think you can get CJ to change their affiliate agreement, go for it. In the meantime, we are all bound by it. Here's what it says about payments (emphasis mine):

quote:
    3.4 Payment. If on the 20th day of the month Your Account exceeds CJ's "Minimum Balance Amount", as set by CJ from time to time, for Transactions reported for the previous month, CJ will issue to You any positive balance in Your Account. CJ shall have no obligation to make payment of any Payouts for which CJ has not received payment from the relevant Advertiser. If CJ elects, in its own discretion, not to make payment to You for amounts not received from an Advertiser, those amounts shall not be included in the Minimum Balance Amount. Your recourse for any earned Payouts not received by CJ and not paid to You shall be to make a claim against the relevant Advertiser(s) and CJ disclaims any and all liability for such payment.
    It's not fair, but who said life was going to be fair?

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, as the thread says: fudge

Survey man, I saw it coming too, however my reversals were for dates *before* the holiday.. did you check your reversals lately? Dec, Jan, Feb? I pulled them a few weeks before christmas and was still severely slammed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread