Under the ALERT message at my CJ menu page I see:
    quote:
    ADVICE: You could be losing money using invalid links...

Does everyone else see this at their CJ menu page or am I just getting it just because I complained to AAQ about my missing sales last week?

Just curious if everyone got it or it's something the put up when people complain.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

That message pops up every once in a while. No conspiricy Ron.

Clean up those links!

Allen

I have that message as well. However, even though these links have been removed and are no longer valid, I find that the search engines still have them in the "cached" pages in many instances, even though those pages were updated months ago. just goes to show how well their spiders work!!! So, if a visitor clicks on the cached version of the page they still see the "invalid" links.

Any time you see Advice on the homepage, it is targeted to your account. We run queries to look at certain problems that we can then provide advice to correct. Some advice is run more frequently, some advice is a one-time occurance. In this case, your account has invalid links generating clicks. This data is reported when anyone clicks on these links. It is not detected by a spider.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Good tip. Thanks, Todd!

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Any time you see Advice on the homepage, it is targeted to your account.

O NO! this is what I see on my homepage at cj.

Scheduled site downtime Feb. 20, 5:00 PM (PST) – Feb. 21, approx. midnight

What did I do!?

quote:
    O NO! this is what I see on my homepage at cj.

Scheduled site downtime Feb. 20, 5:00 PM (PST) – Feb. 21, approx. midnight

TOO FUNNY!!!!

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I got that invalid link message too. And deleted it! I hate those advices passionately. I intentionally delay changing dead links because sometimes the merchant returns, and if I had taken the pages I had them on down, I would have lost the search positions for those pages. So if I think the merchant has any chance of coming back, and I still want them, I don't touch the links. The merchant that's the cause of this latest "advice" has been known to deactivate for a week or so and then return, so I'm just ignoring their link-death for a while. I wish they'd keep their account current, though!

Also if I am looking around for a replacement merchant I leave the pages alone until I find it, so I don't lose the search positions.

The one thing that DOES merit instant link removal is if I have dropped a program or the merchant's dead for sure. But sometimes the invalid link report is no help there. I'll get these links showing in that report, and it'll show the source of the click as (unknown)! These "unknowns" are frustrating since these are almost always the exact links I'd love to hunt out and destroy!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Or, you could be losing money if you are an Ebay affiliate...

ATKOgirl --- >

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Or, you could be losing money if you are an Ebay affiliate...
    Or you could looozing money if . . . is this where we supposed ta start the redneck jokes?

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Entreprenuer is French for a person who cannot hold a job~!

ABW Ambassador
    Just in case you don't already have enuf advice:
    quote:
    PUBLISHER CHECKLIST
    By Commission Junction

Commission Junction provides you with comprehensive tools for engaging in pay-for-performance marketing, but long-term success is dependent on the ongoing management of your account and your relationships. To help you get started, Commission Junction has developed a checklist of recommended tasks that you should complete daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly. Following these guidelines will help you maximize your results and position yourself as an asset to current and potential advertisers.

Daily
    Start each day with the following tasks to ensure they are accomplished.

Dedicate at least one hour to responding to email in your Account Manager Mail tab or other one-to-one advertiser emails
    Review any advertiser communications for new special promotions they are targeting to you and your visitors
    In addition to reviewing your site traffic or email statistics, run a Performance Report in the Run Reports tab and review click-through rates and conversion rates on the ads you are currently using
    Run the custom report "Invalid Links Generating Traffic" in the Run Reports tab and remove any invalid links from circulation
    Run a Transaction Report for the previous day to determine what volume of sales you are generating and what transactions have been reversed
    Review any new program terms being offered by advertisers in the Get Links tab, By Relationship sub-tab, Pending Offers section
    Go into your site and make minor adjustments as needed, based on your findings

Weekly
    Choose one day per week to accomplish the following tasks.

Review new advertisers on your Account Manager homepage for potential partners
    Review the Advertisers With Promotions area on the Get Links page
    Apply to programs that show potential for your business
    Review top-performing advertiser partners' ad inventories for new offers
    Compile the results from your daily reporting and look for trends - what types of ads, what types of offers, and which of your ad spaces are strongest and weakest
    Move potentially strong offers with good commission rates to top performing spaces and low performing offers to a different location or remove them completely
    Consider removing offers that have high click-through rates but low conversion rates
    Increase the promotion of offers that are converting and paying well
    Follow up with advertisers that have not yet approved your application by sending them an email through the Mail tab
    If you have repeat site traffic or an opt-in email list, look for areas for improvement in your content and update it or replace with new content as needed

Monthly
    Choose one day per month to accomplish the following tasks.

After 30 days of partnership with an advertiser that is converting well for you, request the addition of a performance incentive to your current commission
    Review the EPC of each of the advertisers and ads you're using to find out if they're trending up or down in the network
    If the EPC of one of your advertiser partners is trending down significantly or they are not converting well for you, try one more promotion, in a top selling location or a special email promotion before pulling their ads
    Update your program description to account for any changes to your promotional methods, and reflect any positive changes to your site, audience, traffic volume, etc.
    Between the 15th and 19th of the month run a Transaction Report for the previous month to get an accurate accounting for any batch transactions or extended transactions that have been added to your account
    Find out if any of your advertisers are extending or reversing a large number of transactions that you are spending marketing dollars or top inventory on and determine if you need to contact the advertiser or pull their ads

Quarterly
    Choose one day a few weeks before the next quarter to accomplish the following tasks.

Determine what product-related events or holidays are coming up and begin planning and working on content for additional site pages, mini sites, emails, and search marketing promotions; allow two months of preparation before major retail opportunities
    Contact advertiser partners to request content and custom or seasonal ads you may need for the quarter
    Contact top ten advertiser partners that generate strongest revenue with you and discuss how you can work together better, what content you could use, commission rate, etc.
    Review reporting for the previous three months and look for additional opportunities to promote successful offers or to expand your site or emails to capitalize on your successes
    Review your account information and ensure it is correct, including bank information for direct deposit or mailing address for checks, and your email address

DO AMs GET THESE TIPS & ADVICE TOO?

Brian
    aka Cyclone

I may have missed it, but I just skimmed through CJ and I didn't see anything like that for AMs.
    Sure would be nice though.

Karly Billstein
    BobWards.com

quote:
    I may have missed it, but I just skimmed through CJ and I didn't see anything like that for AMs.
    I believe there is information like this in CJU for addvertisers.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

I love the invalid links reporting, the first thing I do when a merchant changes terms to below 10% (even if it is only on international orders like shoes.com did today) or shortens cookies to less than 30 days or drops to only one occurence, is to get all their links off my sites, immediately! I don't put if off, I don't ask questions, I don't care what, those links are history.

But.... Sometimes... I mess up big time, sometimes I commit terrible atrosities and due to over anxious zeal to cull these deadbeats, I overlook a link somewhere. Now theres nothing I can do about the cached pages in the search engines but if theres one link left anywhere in cyberspace that I can zero in on and annillate, I want to know about it immediately. They may do me wrong but they ain't gonna do me long!

Thank you cj for having that very important reporting detail.

Less than 10%? Less than 30 day cookies? One time occurence?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I believe there is information like this in CJU for addvertisers.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction
    Perhaps you could PUT A LINK TO ABW IN THE ADVERTISERS SECTIONS, ON ALL PAGES, and explain why we are all so concerned about actually being PAID.

Affiliate marketing through CJ is WORSE than having a JOB~! At least with a job one would receive so much an hour.

Brian
    aka Cyclone

CJ Advice is really very helpful, more effective than email. Sometimes, however, within 1 – 3 days some of the deactivated advertisers became active again. There is something in my mind about these reactivated merchants for my further promotions:

Are they accidentally deactivated due to a systems error? In this case I will be no doubt to continue promoting them.

Or are they temporally deactivated due to non-fulfillment of their financial responsibility? In this case I have to be careful in promoting them considering for the potentially hazardous morale reversing transactions or leaving the commissions unpaid. No more promotions on PPCSE!

The problem is how can I distinguish between these two conditions?

IRS

Don’t ask why the ball doesn’t come.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread