Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Has anyone noticed that Zappos has lowered it's payment rate from what used to be 15%, to 12.5%?

ABW Ambassador
    Where did you find that? I am still seeing 15%.

15 years and counting
    Still 15% but something is going on!
    Why do you think, Jack is trying to bypass all the CJ system to collect email and phone number of all the Zappos affiliates?
    I don't like that at all.
    I'll like to hear from CJ and other affiliates about this.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

I just got that "request" email as well, "Please send your email address and phone number to me right away...".

I thought our contact information was already available to them?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    "Please send your email address and phone number to me right away..."

Hmmm, now this is interesting.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Something I found on the web regarding zappos and sales.

-------------
    Zappos.com, which reported better-than-expected holiday sales, anticipates business in 2004 will double to $140 million, according to Nick Swinmurn, founder and chairman. In 2000, its first year of business, sales were under $2 million.
    -------------

Full Story

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar
    Cow themed gifts and collectibles

ABW Ambassador
    I haven't noticed the problems with the email system he is referring to so I don't see why he needs the info right now. (he needs to call me if they stop selling a particular brand??)

In fact he emailed me about a discontinued brand not long ago and I took it down, so the current system seems to work fine.

If there is some other reason he needs the info, he should be honest about it, and then maybe I would supply it.

I got the email also. What the heck?

Probably because I promoted them heavily, then 99% of my sales were reversed so I dropped them like they deserved.

This is at the end of the sig...
    This email is privileged and confidential.

SandraR
    | SSAN & AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN & Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    This email is privileged and confidential
    MY ASS~!
    quote:
    Please send your email address and phone number to me right away at

jack@zappos.com

if you have not recently done so.

Some concerns have been raised by affiliates about the internal mail system (this) and the member messaging system.

We are going through a very important time regarding brands we do not currently carry, keyword bidding, and other issues. I want to do everything humanly possible to ensure that you receive all communication on these issues. Since deactivation is the ultimate result of non-compliance with these policies, and it is the last thing either of us want to have happen, please provide me with every possible way to prevent deactivating anyone.

Sincerely,
    Jack Kotowski
    Affiliate Manager
    Zappos.com
    Email jack@zappos.com
    This email is privileged and confidential.
    Kiss your BUTT goodbye Jack~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Entreprenuer is French for a person who cannot hold a job~!

ABW Ambassador
    Well the email is just for contacting affiliates directly when necessary as many times, and I am sure most of you have experienced this, the CJ email system is a little wonky.

And I think he is trying to make sure he can contact affiliates regarding brands, new and discontinued, to make sure everything is done right. No harm there, really.

I tend to agree with Survey Man. What's all the fuss about. However, if there is a rate change in the offing, I will be the first in line with the ugly stick.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't need to be on call 24/7 in case they stop carrying Keds.

Maybe he should issue us all beepers and he could text us alerts.

15 years and counting
    CJ mail system is working well. I agree with Jimbo, I don't have to be on call 24/7. As far as I know I'm not working for Zappos. What can be so urgent to prevent Zappos to send a message thru CJ?

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I don't need to be on call 24/7 in case they stop carrying Keds.
    Exactly. I am not an employee with anyone. And to provide a phone number . . . no thanks . . . there are enuf creeps calling now.

TOO MANY AMs think they own affiliates. If you let one do it then look out for what follows . . .

I might have provided the email contact IF Zappos wasn't such a backstabbing reverser.

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Entreprenuer is French for a person who cannot hold a job~!

Of come on guys, you're getting excited about nothing.

Can anyone name a better shoes program?

Not everyone reads CJ mail, and it gets auto-deleted after a while.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not big on one-on-one contact with AM's; I prefer to just do my thing and make the sales (or not make any, as the case may be)

But I'd still rather have a direct connection than something that is controlled by CJ or any other middleman. Especially when it comes to informing AM's about derring-do by other affilates (particularly the kind of derring-do that CJ is so defensive about).

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

I've spoken with Jack many times and I can assure you he doesn't think that Affiliates work for him. I know it has been said before but it bears repeating... People return shoes! I would venture to guess that people return shoes more often than they return anything else. In a brick and mortar store you can work with someone for two hours before they buy a pair of shoes and in a few days they will be back to return them.
    If you find a shoe merchant that doesn't reverse sales, please let me know.
    I make a lot of money with Zappos even with the reversals. I like their product catalog, I like their link options, I like their website and I like their AM.
    That being said, if they do lower their pay % I'll drop them like a hot potato.

CDC

I Can't Complain But Sometimes I Still Do

IMO people are over reacting also. I think its a matter of affiliates having links and spin to shoes that they no longer carry as the email said and also the bidding on trademark issue. What it sounds like to me is that Jack would rather be able to contact affiliates before he deactivates them. He might be trying to make sure everyone gets a fair chance and that it isn't because of the CJ mailing system that affiliates aren't complying. Of course the Urgency of the email might of blown it up a bit. JMO of course

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

The first thing that occurred to me is that Zappos might be considering a switch from CJ to another network and probalby wants ensure they have the correct affiliate info to "invite" affiliates to the new program...

Just my 2ยข...

Oh God, don't tease me ATKOgirl...
    Ooow, what if they went independant

CDC

I Can't Complain But Sometimes I Still Do

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    Ooow, what if they went independant

Then they just WOULDN'T REPORT all the sales instead of reversing them!

Reversal-maniacs are exactly the ones to NOT trust with an independent program!!

Although it would probably improve CJ a bit if all the reversal-maniacs got out of it...

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

They would get in A LOT of trouble if they tried recruiting CJ affiliates for a home-grown program.

ABW Ambassador
    What recruiting? Their productive affiliates would go right along with them.

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

As CDC says people return shoes. Zappos gives free shipping AND RETURNS so people probably buy the shoe they want in 2 sizes and return the pair that don't fit. I'm a bit of a Jack fan too - I find he answers all my questions quickly and is far more helpful than many other merchants.

I don't think there's anything shady going on at all.

Jack probably has a bonus based on affiliate sales and the penalty imposed from above is that breaking the rules gets an affiliate dropped. It's to his and our benefit not to be dropped, I'd rather this level of contact than "you should have read point no.4.5.3c, tough, you're gone" - half way down that page that you scrolled all the way past to click the ok box at the bottom.

It would very easy with a shoe affiliate in particular to link to say Jimmy Choo or other high profile name that Zappos don't stock and have the link land on a similar products page. Jimmy Choo ould probably then get very angry and bring in the lawyers. There's a lot of high fashion stuff at Zappos and that means restrictive marketing and hysterical behaviour (not by Zappos I hastily add).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast