If a visitor to my site clicks on one of my eBay links and registers, it shows up in my account as a "Registration." I was under the impression that eBay was supposed to be able to track when that account became an "Active Registration" and credit me for it.

So, if the visitor registers with my cookie, but then bids with another eBay cookie on their computer, who gets the registration? Me, since they registered through my site, or the site with the last cookie, even though they weren't responsible for the registration, or does it just never become an "Active Registration?"

It seems to me there are way too many ways for eBay to get out of paying commissions, now. Plus, with their acceptance of incentive sites and their apparent love for sites that force cookies on unsuspecting surfers, it seems like it's going to be more difficult to do much with them.

Unless you're Ebates.

Andy

I've had a bid 5c reversed. I don't have a clue how that works.

Over the past week or so I've had several nickels reversed, so I assume it has something to do with their new policy. Frankly, I like the old system a whole lot better. They should have it written in stone (or their TOS) exactly what a publisher has to do to get credited with an active registration. The current system basically lets them decide which cookie they like more (or choose neither). If there was a problem with cheating then BOOT THE CHEATERS!

It appears that Ebay themselves are the CHEATERS!!!

I used to get registrations (at $5 each) now and then, and now I never get any. None. Zero. This has been going on for months. I find it quite weird and suspicious. If I could find another good auction affiliate program, I'd switch. As it is, I've stopped using eBay affiliate banners on my site.

I promote ebay through BeFree and virtually never had any reversals, something to do with how BeFree report which means that once you've been credited it's 99%+ going to stick.

However... this last week for the first time I've been getting reversals that are several days after being credited, time for me too reassess ebay. At this rate they'll end up with a single mega affilite who they send a single email to telling them how many millions their single mega affiliate made last month.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    One thing I;ve just noticed is that the mediaplex cookie is no longer deposited during a 302 redirect (like the qksrv.net and commission-junction.com cookies are).

the mediaplex.com part of the transaction is now a fully served-up (200) HTML page with a javascript redirect and meta refresh for those not running javascript.

Not sure what effect (if any) this will have on the process overall. SE's are going to treat things differently?

George Orwell got the date wrong

ABW Ambassador
    This is from what I posted in the other thread:

quote:

The response I got from CJ was that because eBay runs programs on so many different networks, that it's one of those other cookies that is being used. So it looks like they initially credit everyone who had their hand in the cookie jar and then reverse all but the last one in, who was lucky (or tricky) enough to get the cookie to stick. Basically, I was told that it's network vs. network and not CJ affiliate vs. CJ affiliate. If this is true, assuming that they only make money when we do, then CJ is losing money... so why don't they care?

quote:

Word from CJ:

quote:
    If someone registers through you but then bids through someone else you will get credit for the active registration (the $5) but they will get credit for the bid ($0.05).

Let me just clarify that it is a network vs. network thing and not CJ affiliate vs. CJ affiliate. The issue with integrating one cookie is that this would take a combined effort of all the companies involved re-desiging their tracking systems to accomodate the situation. Frankly, it just makes mnore sense to allow them to do reversals like everyone else in a similar situation.

Die Parasites Die!!

I know what I see and what I've seen in the last week is I haven't made a penny from ebay, every time I get a registration an old one dies.

My efforts even in looking at stats are best spent elsewhere.

Well, I'll believe it when I see it! The first time I see a registration go to active registration without a corresponding bid, and then doesn't get reversed, I'll believe it!

Until then, I think eBay has a seriously messed up program that discriminates as to who receives credit for bids/BINs and registrations. This attitude of credit everyone, then reverse all except for one is a joke!

eBay's new policy of allowing incentive sites in, as well as their negligent attitude of allowing all to set cookies whether the end user clicks on a link or not will backfire on them. People will get sick of this behavior, and it will be a reflection on eBay, because they won't know which site is doing the dirty deed, they'll .

eBay needs to get its ethics, values, and morals together and do what's right by running a clean, honest program. THEY ARE NOT DOING THAT RIGHT NOW!

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Amen to that observation Andy. eBay thinks they've grown to a point they can treat affiliates like cannon fodder and follow Amazon into a Gestapo run indy program.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

I see you guys are trying to figure out why you aren't getting conversions on ebay.

Call a spade a spade.

CJ & Ebay are actively stealing.

Lets say you send a user to the home page.

You can only get a reg credit for a new user.

Hmmm, what would a new user click on?

Maybe, "Welcome new users" ?
    Maybe, "Live Help"?

Are those ebay links?

NOOOOoooooooo

They are mediaplex redirects that take OUR commissions.

You send someone new to ebay.
    They click on "Welcome new users" (CJ (mediaplex) sets a cookie to lock in the commission.)
    They get redirected to ebay's help page.
    They register.

You get squat.

Never left the site.
    Just clicked "help"

You lose.

Thanks CJ!!!! Can't wait to see your spin on this one.

75% of the home page links will STEAL our visitors because they clicked their link ON ebay that redirects them BACK to ebay AFTER you sent them there.

Don't stop there. Go to
    http://books.ebay.com/
    40% of the page links to CJ.

The whole Ebay site is a MINEFIELD of theft by CJ and Doubleclick.

How many of you believe that if you send a user to a site and the user performs an action/sale on that site you get paid?
    Well not if they click on "Help" while they are there.

Is what you signed up for?

You want action?
    Hit them where it hurts.
    Their pocketbook.

Lack of integrity (Stealing from "partners", being deceptive and other "hand in the cookie jar" tricks.) in upper management of public companies killed a lot of stocks over the last 2 years.

If you really want to see this type of practice end, get together and post an educational AND FACTUAL account of this dishonest/deceptive behaviour on the STOCK MARKET BOARDS as well as here. Stock holders will most likely believe if ebay/valueclick will steal from the hands that feed them they will bite off the hands of stock holders.

Also send it to 100 financial reporters and analysts. One of them may have a slow news day or want to use it as ammo to defend a negative view they have against either company (or doubleclick who also has a hand in and is not the darling of the market going back to privacy issues)

All three are public.
    Symbols:
    EBAY
    VCLK
    DCLK

You are being told about the "Big Picture"

The value of the stock.
    That's the "Big Picture"

PS
    Will CJ formally declare that the "SUPER AFFILIATE" has NO financial, corporate or any other formal or informal relationship with CJ other than the standard affiliate operating agreement?
    Just curious.

Off topic, Personal Ad:
    Sexy New term seeks Honest Definition- "SUPER PARASITE"
    Any takers?

ABW Ambassador
    TripAssoc2

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Entreprenuer is French for a person who cannot hold a job~!

I emailed support to ask the question as to how this affiliate program can allow eBay to skirt commissions to CJ members by posting links for other affiliate programs on its own site. This would seem to be a very bad-faith situation, since we are working hard to drive the traffic to their site, and they are working very hard to not pay us for it. We'll see what they say.

Ralph

http://www.hockeydb.com

Which links on books.ebay.com link back to CJ?

I noticed when I was testing Norton that quite a few navigational links at eBay didn't show up with the Ad Blocker turned on. I thought it was rather odd that regular links used for navigation would be served by Mediaplex.

I wonder why that is? Why would it be necessary for eBay to have links on its site, going to other sections of its site, fed by an ad server? If this is why our affiliate CJ cookies are being overwritten, I'd say that's out and out fraud! Once the visitor arrives at eBay from an affiliate link, that's it! There should not be anything on eBay that would deposit a new link on that user's computer!

Andy

Has anyone tested those ads to see if they really do overwrite cookies? Isn't it possible that they are using mediaplex just to manage their ads, without having any effect on the cookies?

- Ed

ABW Ambassador
    When I go to mail.com, ebay's homepage pops up.

Does this nullify our referal? Is this what ebay is talking abot when it says it has to reverse my commissions?

I refer people to specific things they want to buy. But if they bookmark the product page, check their mail, and then go back to ebay, is ebay and CJ saying that mail.com (or their ad server) really deserves the commission?

Yes, that's exactly the case. An affiliate is running eBay popunder on some of the ad networks such as Burst and FastClick. If someone gets one of those popunders between when he clicks on your link and when he bids, you do not get the commission.

I don't think the mail.com is much of a threat to take away "immediate action" type bids -- where someone clicks on your link, browses eBay, then bids. The more insidious approach will be when picture hosting companies figure out that they can do this too (if they're not already doing it), so when someone clicks on one of those "click this link to see the bigger picture", the popunder will show up, and your commission gets nullified.

An even worse approach would be to plant code in your auction that sets the cookie, either by a popunder or a link.

And by far, the most insidious is when eBay itself plants navigation links on its site that nullify your cookie. That's what TripAssoc2 is talking about.

Ralph

ABW Ambassador
    I think that's great for ebay sellers if they can set a cookie and earn extra cash by popping ebay on ebay.

That is what this program is all about now.

You could peddle an ebook or one of those stupid cell phone boosters for 5 cents (Buy-It-Now) and actually earn quite a bit of cash (and ebay is happy because they get new 'users'). It is not a bad day's work, and I could see millions of folks taking ebay up on its offer.

And by the way, things are really looking up; their epc has surged to 46 cents.

quote:
    Originally posted by Ralph Slate:
    And by far, the most insidious is when eBay itself plants navigation links on its site that nullify your cookie. That's what TripAssoc2 is talking about.

Ralph, have you tested this? I really think it's possible for these to be ads served without any effect on affiliate cookies. I'm trying to test it now, but I won't know until reversals for today hit, which I guess will be later this week.

- Ed

quote:
    Originally posted by Ralph Slate:

I'd like to hear some more views on this subject. Is this, in fact, what is happening on the ebay site itself? Are cookies being overwritten when someone clicks on what seem to be navigational links? I invite the resident gurus to weigh in on this.

Bombalini

I got a message back from CJ on this subject. Here's a quote:

"The adfarm links are actually not referral links. eBay uses those for their own
    internal stats, you will even notice that when someone clicks one of our links for
    eBay they are routed through adfarm."

So it appears as though this was a false alarm, those links that appear to be affiliate links are not. At least not according to eBay.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread