How is it that CJ's prime affiliates, Ebates, Netflip and MyPoints, are able to track sales close enough to offer cash/points back to the customer. Where in the CJ interface can we get this level of detail? Or the bFree interface?

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

Be Free calls it Flex Track and CJ calls it Smart Rewards. Check our online help. The parameter is SID=XXXXXX.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Thanks Todd

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Does anyone know HOW to add the SID=XXXXXX to our code?

Every time I do a google search for info, all I get is the SID for C+ programming, not affiliate links.

Check CJU Online or the Help section, there is information there showing you how to use the SID parameter.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    Originally posted by Billy Kay:
    Does anyone know HOW to add the SID=XXXXXX to our code?

Every time I do a google search for info, all I get is the SID for C+ programming, not affiliate links.

You just add ?sid=xxxxxx to the end of the CJ code

http://www.qksrv.net/click-xxxxxx-xxxxxx?sid=xxxxxx

The xxxx need to be alpha-numeric and have a character limit - (64?). We can accept some other characters but you should read the instructions so you get back in the reporting what you tried to pass in the code.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    so I just add this 64 number to my CJ code like so?

http://www.qksrv.net/click-xxxxxx-xx...12345678901234

and I'll be able to track rewards/points/rebates for my customers?

The CJ help section makes it saound a lot harder to do:

"Utilization of the SID tracking feature (a.k.a. the SmartRewards program) is an advanced skill feature. Only Webmasters with programming experience are encouraged to utilize the SID feature because it must be dynamically generated and appended to the tracking code of an advertiser’s links."

Just finished reading . . . you need to design a 'rewards' system - identify the customer, assign an SID to the customer, probably save this info in your data base and on the customer site in a cookie and when he clicks on an ad you need to dynamically build the link using the SID you assigned. Then, I assume, you need to regualarly get the report showing sales by SID and update your data base with that - and provide your customer with some way to cash in their 'reward'.

Close to being correct, Todd?

Web_Novice

quote:
    Originally posted by web_novice:
    Just finished reading . . . you need to design a 'rewards' system - identify the customer, assign an SID to the customer, probably save this info in your data base and on the customer site in a cookie and when he clicks on an ad you need to dynamically build the link using the SID you assigned. Then, I assume, you need to regualarly get the report showing sales by SID and update your data base with that - and provide your customer with some way to cash in their 'reward'.

Close to being correct, Todd?

ps - looks like bFree and LS have similar features

Web_Novice

Web_Novice

quote:
    "Utilization of the SID tracking feature (a.k.a. the SmartRewards program) is an advanced skill feature. Only Webmasters with programming experience are encouraged to utilize the SID feature because it must be dynamically generated and appended to the tracking code of an advertiser’s links."
    Yes, it is relatively easy to do but you will need to modify the tracking link code. If you do not do it correctly, your links may not track.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

It's intended for rewards tracking, but it'll track anything you want. If you use:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-xxxxx-xxxx?SID=test

The text "test" will show up in the SID column in reports on CJ.

There are lots of possibilities. If you operate a charity site, you could use SID to indicate the charity to get a cut. If you operate a rewards site, you could use SID to indicate the customer to get a rebate/reward. If you want to track the results of specific links, use some sort of link identifier for the SID.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Got it. Thanks Michael. Thanks Todd.

Do you know any good resources for getting up to speed on ASP? Managing cookies?

Web_Novice

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread