Looking for some insight.... I have two 125x125 cj merchant banners on one of my inner pages sitting right next to each other.

Checking the "today" stats on cj, one banner has 30 impressions the other has 63. How can this be?

Is it possible 33 visitors could have moved on in between the two banners loading? I suppose so, but like I say they are position side by side. Just doesn't seem right to me?

Thanks for any input,

It happens all the time...I have six CJ banners on one page and it's rare that they
    all get the same number of impressions...sometimes the discrepancies are in the triple didgits.

Just goes to show you that CJ tracking isn't all they say it is.

Professor,

Thanks for the reply...

quote:
    It happens all the time

Then I guess it should be no shock that if the impressions are wrong then so may be the hits and sales... Oh well, it is only money :confused:

Take Care,

Tribune,
    Are you sure you don't have the same banner on another page on your site? The stats will show total banner exposure.
    I don't usually have such a huge difference. I see a lot of times the text link impression loads more often than the 468x60 banner. Doesn't take a Ph.D to realize that anyone with banner removing software won't load the banner. But the differences I see are not usually double.
    Also, are the file sizes of the graphics very different? If it really is taking one a loooonnnnnnnnnnnggggg time to load, then perhaps you did have folks move on while the second was still loading.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it has more to do with banner load speed than any fundamental problem with the system.

Some banners are simply slower to load than others, for a variety of reasons (file size, the server they're on, etc.) If a visitor happens to leave the page before everything has loaded, one banner will register an impression while another might not.

Hmmm... I take back my first sentence. It IS a fundamental problem that merchants often supply unoptimized, slow-loading banners. I don't think it affects the tracking, but it certainly increases the chances that the visitor will click away instead of doing something worth tracking!

Elisabeth Archambault

The same happens with text links. CJ tracking has gone down the tubes. The publishers get screwed as usual.

Hey Everyone,

Yea, both graphics are the same file size ( 15.6kb ). I watched them load on the page and they both pop up at abouth the same time.

Not going to miss any sleep over it, but like I say, if the impressions are wrong then so may be the hits and sales.

Take Care,

John,

I know that tracking was delayed today @ CJ and also many times the ad calls via quickserve from mediaplex are delayed during high traffic times. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

But, notwithstanding, it is still BS! and YES it does lead to many trepidations!

Haiko

Haiko,

As always, well almost always, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] your are right on the money. Just checked stats and both banners are dead even now.

John

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Tribune ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    On the old CJ forums, a lot of people had started to complain that the 1x1 pixel wasn't loading. As I understand it, if that pixel doesn't load, an impression doesn't track.

Also, sometimes all the banners don't load. I've seen that little X where a banner SHOULD be more than once. The host's speed seems to have something to do with this--I see unloaded banners a lot more often at slow Angelfire than at the paid host. Some paid hosts are pretty slow, too, btw...

(Not that none of it's CJ's fault--sometimes it's clear that it IS!)

If the banner doesn't load, chances are the impression pixel didn't, either--and it doesn't register an impression.

As a test months ago, I made a small purchase through a banner with the X showing to see if it tracked. It DID track the sale correctly. But if I didn't have a pageful of ad spin going too, nobody ELSE would have even thought of clicking it (which is why hits to those banners are usually WAY down--who clicks a little X)!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    As I understand it, if that pixel doesn't load, an impression doesn't track.

Isn't this the same method that CJ uses to also track transactions?

Isn't there an 1x1 gif request that is sent to CJ with all of the transactions details.
    eg sale amount, commission, transaction type etc.
    So, if this little bugger gets lost..I'm imagining so does the commission..

I think I'm starting to prefer linkshare's tracking better..(tracking, not payment..)

Tribune said .....

quote:
    I have two 125x125 cj merchant banners

There are no 1 x 1 pixels in regular ads!

Haiko

Haiko,

quote:
    There are no 1 x 1 pixels in regular ads!

Just checked the code, and again you are right as rain.

Leader

Thank you once again for educating me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    quote:
    (which is why hits to those banners are usually WAY down--who clicks a little X)!
    I thought the "x" was to tell you where to put the index finger when you clicked [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Just one thing: if the 1x1 pixel does not load how can you get a "x" when the image size is given as height=1 width=1, I thought you could only get a period (.) in a 1x1 pixel space.

The transaction 1x1 pixel is sent from the merchant to cj at the end of a transaction (usually on the thank you for ordering page). Yes, there was a thread in the ancient system known as CJU where the problem of servers being down in the network was discussed. I seem to recall some discussion about multiple servers, databases, some such, blah, blah, blah.

The truth seems to lie somewhere in the realm of "nothing is 100% foolproof". As someone who also markets Amazon, even with a 5% comish and no cookie, I'm not screaming about the situation yet.

And guys, put alt text on those banner images so that as they are loading or not, the visitor has a clue as to what the image is. Good webmaster habit in general, and I think very important in marketing. This also helps with visitors that have images turned off, or are using software for the sight impaired which literally reads a page to the visitor.

Then the x just looks like you didn't code correctly for the image location [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Gordon--the 1x1 pixel doesn't make the X. It's the regular-size ad graphic (that didn't load) that makes the X...

Even though the banner doesn't have a 1x1 pixel (I'll take Haiko's word for it, it's 6AM here and I don't remember offhand--nor am I going to start looking up code at this hour! It sounds logical that it wouldn't need a 1x1 pixel...), if the banner itself doesn't load, it's not going to be able to register an impression.

As for putting in the Alt text, I always do--but the viewer has to think of mousing over it for that to help. Hence, click-throughs still drop to almost nil when the banner isn't showing.

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread