View Poll Results: Are the cj.com programmers incompetent?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

25 59.52%
  • no

12 28.57%
  • dont know

5 11.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Are the cj.com programmers incompetent?

Maybe, from the way CJ does all over our sales, they are only incontinent.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think this is fair to blame the programmers. From Todd's statement, it seems the pointy heads made alot of choices, choices that were probably messy.

And CJ and only a few other sites are in the same boat of millions and millions of transactions every day if not every hour, banners etc all being serverd and processed, stats in real time and damn near with no downtime. That is not a trivial feat.

Chet

This is an unfair poll to post. You all need to chill out. You have no idea what you are talking about. Our developers are top notch and work very hard to build complex systems that seem trivial to some of you.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

I have to agree with Todd on this on. I do think, however, that a group of volunteer affiliates should be consulted about some of these changes before they are put in place. Would certainly stop a lot of this type of posting.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Ever wrote java jsp?

Have any idea what kind of system they are working?

Man it is not easy let them have more time please.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Heh, one rule I will live by - Don't tick off the CJ programmers, lol! I'm sure they are working like maniacs right now, they gotta be under a lot of pressure. This will all smooth over eventually. Man, I am mellowing out these days, amazing what some time off does for your outlook.

- - - - - - - - -
    I will FOCUS on my goal, and I shall NOT be denied.

I've been a programmer for over 25 years and have worked for the likes of Intel and AXA on systems far larger than CJ's.

There always was and always will be a lot of problems and errors when making large changes to systems, it's just the way it is. Systems are large and complex.

But, these are worked out before going live so the end user just sees a smooth implementation, all the problems are tested out before going live.

It strikes me that the problem at CJ isn't the programmers, it's the fact that proper system testing doesn't happen before going live, or if it does happen then the procedures need to change.

Banks, insurance companies and a lot of large businesses have much larger systems than CJ do. They are constantly implementing changes, usually on a weekly basis at least, how long do you think a bank would survive if it's customers could only get at their money half the time.

Actually, I admire the way Todd came to the defense of his co-workers. That is as it should be. Now, if he would do the same for affiliates, all might be well with the CJ world.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Work big real time systems (mainframes) have many difference from easy web server with MySQL and PHP. In best case only each tenth listen about stuff with strange names middleware and deadlock.

Main problem, as I see, that some sql query (product tables), possible under current workload, work so long, that some publisher and advertiser try speed up reply ..., made 'reload' and place additional query to already overloaded DB and application servers, as resultat need restart web and application servers, drop query on DB server and ....

In any case key persons in this situation is System and DB administrator, both, I know, don't have time read this forum, as minimum in this time.

ABW Ambassador
    Well I am so glad you sugar coated the title to this thread, so very nice of you...

I believe CJ programmers are on of the best programmers in the world. There's millions of details in CJ, that can only be handled by great engineers.

ABW Ambassador
    Whatever my opinion of certain CJ policies, I agree that this "survey" isn't very helpful.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    The 1 year little fix implementation yet to be seen of the anti-kazaalite-host-file is a fact so big, so red, so ridiculous, so ahhhhhhhh

How to live being part of CJ tech staff for a year knowing that a fix that could be developed in 1 full day is still delayed...?

Sorry, this is too much. I would bet $10,000 of my pocket that I could code a fix ready to be run in less than a week (because I would have to learn some CJ system code details once in Santa Barbara).

Fer

Well, here's the thing, though. The CJ down time IS inexcusable. If it needs all this much fixing, there IS a real big problem. They would be well advised, at this point, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

It is already big enough and impressive enough. Everyone would be more pleased if the danged thing just worked reliably and worked all the time.

Anyone who doesn't think CJ has enough bells and whistles to get the job done and needs another round of fixing say, "Hoo Yah!"

When even a little ol' one man part-time network like SAS has better up time and out performs all the CJ engineers, you gotta wonder.

MY one man part time Indy has changed programs 3 times this year and has STILL had a better service record than CJ.

MORE and fancier is not necessarily better when our goal is to just get the linking information, build the pages and get paid.

[This message was edited by SSanf on February 25, 2004 at 05:19 PM.]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    SAS has better up time and out performs all the CJ engineers

Apparently you forgot when the whole SAS network came to a CRASHING HALT (404sville and no tracking) after that yutz Brian hired to do the upgrade turned out not to know what he was doing...

Not that SAS is doing badly overall, but not totally crashing the backend IS a prerequisite for "outperforming" CJ in the programming department.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

You could also look at it this way - it is very easy to track 1,000 txns per day but quite another thing to track 1,000 txns per second. It is like saying your Pinto is very fast and reliable as I blow by you in my Porsche (not that I actually drive a Porsche - and I hope you do not drive a Pinto).

I guess what I am getting at is SAS and CJ are not really comparable.

Nothing against SAS - but facts are facts.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

[This message was edited by ToddCrawford, CJ.com on February 25, 2004 at 07:02 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    ouch

ABW Ambassador
    Todd, Todd... you are into bashing the competition now?

Again, nothing against SAS, they have done a great job building their business but they do not compete directly with us.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Yep, I know SAS has had a few incidents but nothing like being down for a third of the month and not very often.

A porche ain't no good if all it can do is sit at the curb. The dang thing has to move to be any good, preferably both backward and forward but I will settle for just forward with CJ, in fact, I prefer it. I'll take a pinto that gets me where I want to go over a porche that is broken down any day of the week. If this keeps happening, I think CJ should get a horse.

ABW Ambassador
    >Again, nothing against SAS, they have done a great job building their business but they do not compete directly with us.

TRUE

Phew ... CJ (or a rep thereof) actually made me smile.
    quote:
    (not that I actually drive a Porsche - and I hope you do not drive a Pinto).

Must Build More in 2004
    Game on!!!! - The DawgFather

quote:
    (not that I actually drive a Porsche - and I hope you do not drive a Pinto).

Last thing I need is everyone changing the topic to "Todd drives a Porsche - he can't relate to us". I justed wanted to make a point, not get myself in trouble for the kind of car I drive.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd

If you don't drive a Porsche, why do you put up with all this?

(Actually, if money were no object, Porsche woudn't be my choice of car...)

Chet is right, the system is huge, there are bound to be problems maintaining it.

However, if a company offers a service, then there is an onus on them to deliver.

If they turn around and say 'give us a break, you can't even imagine how complex this stuff is' then maybe they have no business offering the service in the first place.

It's like Google.

Clearly unable to meet the demands of the task they have set themselves. (Maybe it's an impossible task, but that isn't the point.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast