Just got these:

quote:
    You are receiving this message because XXXX has changed their commission rates. These changes will go into effect on 11/13/01.

The current commission rates are:

Pay-per-sale: $20 or 0%
    Pay-per-lead: $0

The new commissions rates will be:

Pay-per-sale: $0.01 or 0%
    Pay-per-lead: $0

and

quote:
    The former Cookie Duration was 30 days.
    The new Cookie Duration will be 1 days.

What I don't understand is this: Why don't they simply
    a) tell me that they don't want me and drop me from their affiliate program or
    b) close their affiliate program?

Wondering,
    Karl

sounds like they're gonna shaft everyone til the end of the month baby :eek: then they will probably leave

why dont you name them :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

And don't forget, they will probably reverse most all transactions on their way out. They are just hoping people don't take their links down right away and they get some free traffic/sales.

Can you please expose the Deadbeat?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I do wish you could sort cj merchants by cookie duration. That way, as you fill up your web site with advertisers, you could work your way from the top down.

-elbowcreek
    Elbow Creek Magazine

ABW Ambassador
    Here's a good one. I had a merchant contact me the other day and inform me that I needed to put their 800 number on my page promoting them. Needless to say that page doesn't exist anymore. The thing that sucks about it is I had worked hard to get good positioning for it. Oh well, I need to find another merchant in the same area.

Mike [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

austin powers,

You're right.
    There's no reason to not name this merchant: ResumeXposure (Adtegrity.com).

All the best,
    Karl

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Karl ]

quote:
    And don't forget, they will probably reverse most all transactions on their way out. They are just hoping people don't take their links down right away and they get some free traffic/sales.

It's merchants like this that makes me think an affiliate union would probably be a good idea.

Affiliate King, that is outrageous! Icky, icky, icky.

Custom 404 can help at least while traffic is still looking for that page (tip I picked up on the boards).

Look fast for a substitute and get the page back up if you have good positioning!

ABW Ambassador
    Mistress,

That's a good idea. I had forgotten about a custom 404 page.

Mike

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Okay, you pulled me in. What, exactly, is a custom 404 page?

-elbowcreek

You'll need to find out if your host allows them, but instead of getting the old white screen in IE saying code404 file not found you can have your own custom 404. Elisabeth has a good article on that in her Webmaster Resource Articles.

HOpe that helps.

For an example, you can type in www.virtuallyignorant.com/nofile.htm and see a plain ole custom 404.

Look at your logs, also. I had coded my free image page link wrong somewhere and was getting a lot of 404 codes. So I put the links to those pages on the custom 404, since that's what most of the folks getting the error code were looking for.

Hope that helps.

elbowcreek,

404 represents the code for a "File Not found" page (ie. http://elbowcreek.com/234/abc )to be shown, see the "404" in the title bar?

A custom 404 (ie. http://members.cj.com/234/abe )is a page that you upload (usually) to the htdocs/errordocs/ directory; You can also have custom 500 pages (internal server error) and 401 pages (access denied), or for that matter any of the error codes.

I own 404exchange.com and have been looking to create a thing like exitexchange.com but with 404 errors, but have been way too busy to do anything with it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] DirectLeads offers a program for 404s also (Direct 404) which is basically just a list coupons that the visitor can click.

Haiko

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Hm, a list of coupons would beat what I've got there now...

Another Hm, Haiko--my custom 404's in the htaccess folder.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread