The other day I signed up for their free service from my friends CJ link. It showed her getting credit for 40 cents later that day. A couple of days later I upgraded to the standard service from with-in my mailblocks account to check it out. She never received a commission for my upgrade. She emailed mailblocks and they told her they couldn’t track the upgrades or the second transactions.

My question is, is this acceptable???? I think she should still be entitled to the $8 commission from my upgrade (based on their program terms) but what do I know. What do you guys think??

Program Term: Mailblocks

1. Action: Standard Service
    ActionCriteria Customer purchases online subscription.
    Action Referral Period 45 day(s)
    Action Referral Occurrences Unlimited
    Commission $8.00 USD

2. Action: Expanded Service
    ActionCriteria Customer must complete paid online subscription to MailBlocks email service.
    Action Referral Occurrences Unlimited
    Commission $20.00 USD

3. Action: Free Service
    ActionCriteria Free Service Subscription
    Action Referral Occurrences 1 time(s)
    Commission $0.40 USD

"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."

Very difficult situation to determine and this is why.

Once within a free service application, there is typically going to be supplemental material that is used to increase the likelihood of upgrading to a paid service. This supplemental ad work is executed by the merchant via email campaigns, banner ads, etc. Same things that affiliates do...

Are the supplemental services what convinced the user to upgrade or was the original signup the cause?

If the upgrade happened within 30 minutes of the free signup, then yes there may be justification for crediting to the affiliate. But what if it were 1 days, 10 days, 30 days after the original signup? Very murky line as to whether supplemental campaigns were the source or the original referrer.

Ideally, you have a separate action referral code for each upgrade sequence but apparently this technology is not developed for them yet.

I think this is one of the situations where you have to join the affiliate program with the understanding of how the situation is handled. It has to be part of the assumption for joining.

my thoughts....

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Not very hard to make this a good program to promote. Forget the part where the merchant post free signup tricks don't overwrite the referral cookie with aa house account cookie. Leave the referral affiliates cookie alone and let them send more customers when seeing their income rise.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

quote:
    Not very hard to make this a good program to promote. Forget the part where the merchant post free signup tricks don't overwrite the referral cookie with aa house account cookie. Leave the referral affiliates cookie alone and let them send more customers when seeing their income rise.

with all due respect, would you try that again in plain English? I don't understand you.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

quote:
    If the upgrade happened within 30 minutes of the free signup, then yes there may be justification for crediting to the affiliate. But what if it were 1 days, 10 days, 30 days after the original signup? Very murky line as to whether supplemental campaigns were the source or the original referrer.

so the more intricate the path to commission, the more reason not to promote the advertiser at all, IMHO.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

ABW Ambassador
    I think it is clear cut.

45 days, unlimited occurences. 'nuff said.

jimbo2002 said it: the cookie is for 45 days, unlimited occurrences. If the upgrade happens within that time frame, there isn't much to question.

Merchants can make things as murky as they want to, the fact is they have a new customer with a 45 day unlimited cookie. They need to just pay up!

Andy

quote:
    Are the supplemental services what convinced the user to upgrade or was the original signup the cause?

There would not have been any "supplemental services" if there had not been the "original signup" or no email address to send them to!!

Pay the man, 45 days is the deal, anything else is thefth.

Doesn't Real Networks do this with their Rhapsody program on CJ? I recall getting a $2 or $3 dollar lead for a few signup and then getting another $10-11 payment a month later when the user upgraded or continued the service.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread