Todd and other management at CJ,

I've worked for big business and I know what works and what does not. Frankly, what happened this month should never have happened. It’s just inexcusable.

I challenge you to use your talented staff to progress to the next level that you are so capable of getting to...where there is rarely a down time where you don't have to make apologies and excuses to us. Your own people probably could have warned you about some of the problems that occurred this month long before they happened.

How? One of my roles in life was the administrator of an employee suggestion plan program for a 5,000 employee company. The employees, the ones working in the bowels of the company, who know what works and what does not, submit suggestions for improvements. The incentives for this vary, but if the improvement saves the company money the employee who suggested it gets a percentage of whatever the savings is for that year. For us it was 25%. During my term as administrator for that program I handed out several checks worth several thousand dollars. It's amazing what happens when you put a monetary incentive before your employees. But the bottom line is that the employees idea help your bottom line. Just remember, if you pay an employee a $10,000 check, their idea saved your company $30,000 (actually $40,000 - $10,000 to employee).

As another alternative, as I have suggested many times here before, why not include a select few affiliates in what improvements you are making...let them give you feedback on what will work and what might not. Let them try them out in the real world before you implement them. After all, we are the ones out here working this stuff every day and have a pretty idea what works and what does not. Some of us can actually see the BIG PICTURE and not just think of ourselves.

Todd...I challenge you to think beyond where you are now and make CJ the very best that it can be...the best for your bottom line...the best for your merchants...and the best for the affiliates. It can happen, it really can. I've been preaching this for over two years now and sadly I see the same mistakes happening every year. They are so needless. Decide TODAY that it is time for a change.

For the rest of you out there that have heard me rant and rave for the last couple of years, I apologize for all the bandwidth I've wasted here. My intent was to make things better for all of us, but unless Todd and the other leaders at CJ decide that is important, I see my time here was wasted. No, scratch that, there are many things in life we decide to fight for, even if they never win. They are just worth fighting for. I truly believe this is one worth fighting for...only time will tell...I have not given up on CJ entirely yet.

Todd? Are you up to the challenge?

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Hey Ron did you hear about the big NASCAR race that CJ is going to sponsor?

THe Internal Server Error 500!

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

15 years and counting
    That's a good idea, Ron.
    But, you have to change CJ management, first.
    They don't listen to their affiliates (the real ones). If you don't overwrite others' cookies, you're nothing for them.
    During the update before this one (when they took away product tracking) I've seen many people like Andy taking the time to offer suggestions. I've not seen one implemented.
    Let me suggest them one little thing,
    They changed the "Transactions Report" so we don't have to scroll horizontally. Fine, but now we have to scroll vertically. Here's how my "Event Date" column looks:
    27-
    Feb-
    20:59
    PST
    My posting date looks like that:
    27-Feb-
    22:18 PST
    So, I have 5 lines for each transaction instead of just one (or two). If you have just a few sales, it may be OK, but I'm mad to have to scroll vertically thru multiple pages for an hard to read report.
    If they were able to change the title of the "Corrected" column to "C" the report would have enough room for the dates.

I forgot: I'm using XP, 17" monitor, 1024x768

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

ABW Ambassador
    I submitted a description of a fix implementation for the kazaa-lite-hostfile problem, detailed, and having corrected 2 errors to the HTML4 W3C implementation as some example, but from CJ I never received an answer after support told they were going to forward it.

Fer

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think Todd is the one that isn't listening to what the affiliates are saying. I think it's the "guys upstairs" that are living in their own world.

Maybe Value Click will have a talk with the "guys upstairs" and let them know people are displeased with what's been happening.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I think it's the "guys upstairs" that are living in their own world.

Well said, they are looking at larger pictures...

Well, the "guys upstairs" better pay attention to what is going on. In my communications with my merchants this week, I can tell you they are not very happy with CJ.

CJ cannot remain the leading power in this field if they forget some of the basic rules of business and public relations. They screwed up badly this month, but failed because their reaction to it was all wrong. It is always wrong and they handle it so poorly. Well, sadly this month was the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of merchants and affiliates. There is some real discontent out there, lots of little fires burning and CJ just does not seem to be doing any fire control. If they are, they are doing a lousy job of letting everyone know.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Ron at one point Todd did have a vision on how to distance CJ from the network competitors. He listened to some of my suggestions and rants from both the affiliate and merchant side.

He knew the further he distanced CJ from the pure play mass advertising mindset of the .com bomb era the more they'd grow. They haven't come up with a single pro-active domain bound affiliate idea since 2001. Now their 100% controlled by the vision of the online Ad agency enabler "ValueClick" seeking ways to drain the entire Ad budgets of merchants, inside and outside the BF & CJ networks.

Mass reach is the name of the game if it can drain those budgets regardless of advertiser ROI or ethics. Viva La Monopoly!

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread