Hi Todd
    If CJ never have any problems with their tracking, or at least this is what they drum down our necks, how come even your merchants make posts like this?
    quote:
    We have been having problems with order tracking. CJ's upgrade which knocked out reporting for a few days and the etail conference conspired to prolong this problem

Gordon YouTrek.com
    All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....STAMP EM OUT!!!

quote:
    We have been having problems with order tracking. CJ's upgrade which knocked out reporting for a few days and the etail conference conspired to prolong this problem
    Our tracking is not the problem here - the advertiser is saying they are the ones with the problem. Our tracking is a completely separate system and is not affected by member area availability. As to why advertisers post things like this, your guess is as good as mine.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Thanks Todd, I'm just looking for excuses for sales being down, it cannot possibly be my fault can it?

Gordon YouTrek.com

This goes back to some old questions and I know I'm not going to get an answer to my satisfaction (if any answer), but just what assurance do we have that tracking is perfect 100% of the time. If CJ can't do an upgrade without lots of unexpected problems nearly every time, how do we know things don't go wrong with the tracking server?

I know, I know, such deep philosophical questions so early on a Monday for Todd, but I'm just not convinced there is not some time in some day, somewhere in some month, sometime in a year that things don't work perfectly. We don't live in a perfect world, but CJ makes it sound like the tracking system is flawless.

I guess I would just feel better if we had some way of gauging or monitoring sales as they go through the system. But then again, does any network provide that?

Final word is I just don't believe the system is 100% perfect in an imperfect world. Even my bank makes a mistake once in a while, which is why I make it my responsiblity, not theirs, to monitor my money.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    how do we know things don't go wrong with the tracking server?

You answered your own question: "I just don't believe the system is 100% perfect in an imperfect world."
    With so many problems lately, you can bet that tracking was off, too.

We did not upgrade the tracking servers in the last deployment.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    I just don't believe the system is 100% perfect in an imperfect world.
    You are all welcome to believe whatever you want to believe.

We are in the business of tracking and reporting and have invested millions of dollars in our infrastructure to provide the highest uptime possible. It is in our own selfish interest to track every transaction, since we do not get paid if there are no transactions to charge txn fees for.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

[This message was edited by ToddCrawford, CJ.com on March 01, 2004 at 05:55 PM.]

Talk about taking something TOTALLY out of context...

The merchant SPECIFICALLY SAID "In all fairness to CJ we believe that the problem is on the Shoes.com side."

To quote just the portion of that thread that you did is intellectually dishonest.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Gordon, the thread that you are quoting from which I started here, is being taken out of context. My original post was that there are reporting problems from the shoes.com side. I spoke with Brook earlier today and he confirmed that shoes.com was not reporting sales to CJ from the 23rd through today. He said that they are working frantically for a resolution.

For the record: Brook has confirmed that it was a shoes.com problem and nothing to do with CJ.

Akiva Bergstrom, Affiliate Partner Manager
    Email: akiva@affsolutions.com | AIM: akivabergs | ICQ: 240820068

M A N A G E D P R O G R A M S

> EssentialApparel.com - CJ/7.5% to 8.5%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free > Join now! <
    > SportsFanfare.com - CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <
    > FunToCollect.com - CJ/11%/120 days Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <
    > FragranceWholesale.com - CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <
    > PetCareCentral.com - CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >how do we know things don't go wrong with the
    >tracking server?

Well......

The tracking servers are completely different to the reporting servers/database.

They've got redundancy on every part of the tracking system (the tracking itself isn't rocket science, it's just cookie recording/retrieval, logging etc). The tricky stuff comes once the tracking stuff is sent to the reporting system. All the tracking system is required to do is keep up with the volume of transactions, and spool them up during reporting system down-time.

That's why tracking isn't affected AT ALL by reporting system down-time.

George Orwell got the date wrong

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    There is ANOTHER reason for those frustrationg low sales days/no sales days...

Google (et al)

Most days we get about 50 hits for PRODUCT-A, some days we get squat.

It took a full day of reading all our logs to determine that on the slow days for PRODUCT-A, it was because we dropped a few notches in the search engines (yet they always send us back to #1 in a day or two)

and secondly...

The EXACT phrase a customer searches for is critical. When they search for PRODUCT-As (plural), we get a lot of hits, followed by sales. If they search for PRODUCT-A (singular), it isn't worth checking the CJ reports 'cause we got squat!!

Unfortunately, we can't control the search engines, nor the phrases our customers use to find us.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    since we do not get paid if there are no transactions to charge txn fees for.
    unless there are special arrangements made between your merchant partners

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Entreprenuer is French for a person who cannot hold a job~!

quote:
    unless there are special arrangements made between your merchant partners
    Keep reaching Brian.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

@ MichaelColey
    quote:
    To quote just the portion of that thread that you did is intellectually dishonest.

I hope you were not refering to me being dishonest in this post, if you would care to look at the time I posted you will see that it was not in the thread at that time.

I may be an assole now then but one thing I am not is dishonest. An apology would be nice.

@ Akiva
    Thank you for the explanation Akiva I just jumped to conclusions from what I could read.

@ Todd
    You know I would never intentionaly try to con or lie you Todd, please accept my apologies for this mix up.

Gordon YouTrek.com

quote:
    @ Todd
    You know I would never intentionaly try to con or lie you Todd, please accept my apologies for this mix up.

I would never think that of you Gordon. No need to apologize.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    Originally posted by Gordon:
    I hope you were not refering to me being dishonest in this post, if you would care to look at the time I posted you will see that it was not in the thread at that time.

I may be an assole now then but one thing I am not is dishonest. An apology would be nice.
    My apologies. I totally missed the times. It didn't seem like you to be dishonest.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread