Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Does anyone have a "formula" for deleting a merchant you never make money on?

I got RevTrends and it was a real eye-opener.

There are merchants I'm sending a LOT of customers to that I don't make a penny (no sales) from.

Aargh! 700 click-thrus can't all be "looky-loos"!!

I'm thinking of "pulling a Disney" and deleting the non-performers, but I don't know when to pull the plug!!

My plan is (unless one of you "experts" shows me otherwise) to

1. Notate the "Poor Performers" (lots of hits/no sales)

2. Tweak those pages to optimize in every way I know how.

3. Give them 45 days to register a sale

4. Pull the plug on that merchant

unless line No. 2 included this, you might want to tweak their banners a little, too, ensuring you are working with fresher code.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

my plan
    1 check the ebates list make sure they are not on it

2 check 1800 solutions list make sure they are not on it.

3 drop program after 500 click thrus

-----------------------------
    parasite free merchants only! Join the Club it's Rewarding in the long run
    aim nycfalcon1

For me, it really depends on several things:

1) If I can replace their links with links to another merchant that performs better, they're gone.

2) If they're the only merchant that will work for that particular page, I leave it alone. I'll promote it less (or not at all), but any traffic or sales I get from the pages are still fine.

3) If the merchant turned out to be a real sleazeball (by giving bad customer service or operating in an underhanded method), I'll remove the pages. I never do this just for performance reasons.

I don't really have a set number of clicks. It varies depending on the category and how targeted my traffic is for those pages. Some merchants convert 10, 20, 30, or even 40%. Others convert 0.1% or less. I can usually make a pretty accurate guess at how well a merchant will convert just by looking at their site.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

"There are merchants I'm sending a LOT of customers to that I don't make a penny (no sales) from."

I know the feelings, I have two merchants that no matter what or how many visitors I send there, I don't have made any sales from them never.

I know others here make money with them but, not me and the only reason I have not drop those two yet is because I'm still looking for a good replacement and since Google still sending targeted visitors to those pages, I don't want to have blank pages till I find sustitutes.

Sal.

Billy Kay,

Just wanted to say "Thank You" for mentioning Rev Trends. I read your post and went and checked it out. I signed up last night, and this morning I'm already thrilled with the valuable information in these reports. This is certainly well worth the $19.95 per month.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Look at the cookie durations too.

I have always done better with longer cookie durations. Many shoppers don't complete the purchase the same day they made the initial click.

A 1 day cookie is too short, 1 week is okay, 1 month is better and anything 2 months or more is great...

quote:
    I have always done better with longer cookie durations. Many shoppers don't complete the purchase the same day they made the initial click.
    I agree that the referral period is important. Our studies show that after 72 - 96 hours (3 - 4 days) almost all sales have occurred (95%+). Anything greater than 4 days is certainly more appealing to affiliates.

If you run a txn report and export it into Excel, you can sort by advertiser and then determine the time differential from "click time" to "event date" and you can see the time from click to sale/lead. This should give each affiliate a sense of how long it takes for their traffic to convert on a per advertiser basis. FYI - click date is only available if you download your txn reports.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

[This message was edited by ToddCrawford, CJ.com on March 02, 2004 at 12:54 PM.]

Excellent suggestion. Thanks!

Does anyone know an excel formula that will look at the two dates and give you a number that is the difference between the two dates (the number of days between click and event)?

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

OK, here is the messy way of doing it. Hopefully someone can come up with a better way.

First you need to strip out the "PST" values from the click and event dates (I used notepad to do this). Then subtract event date from click date. Then reformat the results column to h:mm:ss. This will give you the difference in time from click to event.

FYI - I just tried it for an affiliate that posts here and got an average of 5 hours, 23 minutes from click to event for all txns posted in the past week.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

[This message was edited by ToddCrawford, CJ.com on March 02, 2004 at 02:47 PM.]

Excellent idea, Todd.

I would add to your list, Billy Kay, that perhaps you can try contacting the AM to get their take on the situation. Alot of times people will email me about things like click through rates or sales, and I wind up giving them all kinds of tricks and tips and they start seeing sales come in. Of course, that only works for AMs who are active and involved...but ABW is full of those, so if the non performers are ABWers, maybe try contacting them first.

Good luck!

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager
    ::eastwood.com::householdauto.com::integrarx.com::
    e: patrice@affiliategoddess.com | aim: patricemilligan

Actually, you don't have to use Notepad. Just do a global search and replace in the Excel spreadsheat for " PST" (note there is a space before the PST) and replace with nothing. Then do a formula such as

+(Click_Date - Event_Date)

where as the Click_date and Event_dates are the actual cells, not the words I put here, and it will give you a value of the number of days between their click date and date of sale.

Works great! Looking at my February sales I found some interesting stats:

62% of sales occured within one hour of click.
    12% of sales occured within one 24 hours of click (but not within the first hour).
    26% of sales occured within 21 days (but not wihtin first 24 hours).

It should be noted that 14% of my sales were ones where event date was clearly more than 4 days (5 or greater) from the click date. That is certainly a lot higher than Todd's figure of 5%. There are many variables I know, including different merchants, that can affect this. Most of these were from the same merchant so I think it is pretty statistically viable.

I'd be interested in hearing what others find for sales greater than 5 days from click date.

Ron,

Thanks for sharing. My stats may be different than yours due to the fact that I am averaging the entire network. As we are all well aware of, individual affiliates are not always typical of network averages.

We also need to consider which advertisers you are promoting or if these stats are more affected by certain advertisers and are skewing your numbers in one direction or the other.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd,

Very, very true. It could well be since most of my (CJ) stats are from one type of merchant that it is common for folks to wait a few days to buy. I did not mean in any way to say that your numbers are not accurate. I'm just saying that mine are statistically different and was curious what other find for their stats.

Thanks again for sharing this informaiton. I now hope to look at longer periods of time and see if there is any pattern to which products (using my SID) that customers wait to buy and which ones they buy instantly. Hopefully it will help me build better pages and sites.

Also, it should be noted that on an individual advertiser basis, I have seen some advertisers that convert over 95% of all clicks within 1 hour.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    First you need to strip out the "PST" values from the click and event dates (I used notepad to do this).

Or just search and replace:

CTRL-H = Search&Replace

Search for " PST" (Need to type that space before PST)

Replace with (leave blank)

This also converts everything to date/time format. Then just do the rest of what Todd said.

[Oops! didn't see where 7-day already said this]

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Sorry, false post

quote:
    If I'm mis-representing the situation (quite possible) someone please put me straight
    Why yes, you are incorrect. The data I analyzed took all relationships into account. Secondly, the advertiser I was referencing is an impulse purchase, hence the shorter conversion times.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Action Jackson - King of the World
    OK I get confusd between all the reports. What exactly do I need to do to view this info you guys are talking about?

Jack Mitchell
    http://kattskozykorner.com
    http://clothing-to-go.com
    http://sports-to-go.com

Todd,

Who are you quoting here: quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If I'm mis-representing the situation (quite possible) someone please put me straight
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't find this on this thread anywhere.

ABW Ambassador
    86% of sales within an hour
    5% of sales within 24 hours
    9% of sales within 29 days

----------------------------
    Keep it clean ~ www.parasiteware.com

wow how many sales is this based on? is it 5 figures or 6?

Gordon YouTrek.com
    All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....STAMP EM OUT!!!

quote:
    Originally posted by 7-days:
    Todd,

Who are you quoting here: quote:

I can't find this on this thread anywhere.

Ron , that was mine, where I posted a message, then realised I had made a complete pig's ear of it (as usual), tried to delete it, but found I couldn't in this forum, so I edited it to say 'false post'.

(Before Todd posted his response )

quote:
    Thanks again for sharing this informaiton. I now hope to look at longer periods of time and see if there is any pattern to which products (using my SID) that customers wait to buy and which ones they buy instantly. Hopefully it will help me build better pages and sites.
    I agree, this is very interesting information. I am glad you all think so too. Thanks for sharing - it is always interesting to see how the results vary from affiliate to affiliate and from merchant to merchant. I think it is very valuable in analyzing how referral periods affect your relationship with advertisers.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd,

Next time you upgrade (Oh My God, did I really suggest that?), how about letting us know what the customer bought? My SID only tells me the page the link they clicked on my site to get to the merchants site.

But don't upgrade for at least a few months. I can wait for this new feature so I can enjoy lots of CJ up-time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast