Everytime I check "Extended transactions due to non-payment" report, Catalog City is there. What's the story? Don't they ever pay on time, or they never have enough money in their CJ account for affiliate payments?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    They are an affiliate ..not a merchant. EOM.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

This is standard practice for them. They extend everything for one extra month. I believe it has to do with the fact that Mike pointed out--they're an affiliate for the 600+ stores they list, so they're waiting to make sure reversals are applied before they release earnings to affiliates.

The standard practice at CJ is for merchants to always have a balance available to cover affiliate commissions, although CJ does issue credit for certain merchants (like they did for KBtoys). You might AAQ (Ask A Question) on CJ to see if they can confirm whether or not they extend credit to CatalogCity.com. If they don't, your commissions should be pretty safe.

I just posted a thread asking Todd if he would provide a list of non-escrowed CJ merchants.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I am in shock

People are still promoting Catalog City?

I thought everyone knew they were an affiliate sapping off your earnings. It still surprises me everyday how little people actually pay attention.

SandraR
    ArtGoodies - AutoGoodies - BookGoodies - CleanGoodies - GameGoodies - GiftGoodies - PetGoodies
    | SSAN & AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN & Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Sandra, every once in a while there's a product that can't be found anywhere but Catalog City. And if I think it's gonna be a shaker and mover, I link it. I had one such product this Winter that flew out the door.

I don't work with them if there's an alternative though.

They provide a useful service. Boycotting them just because they keep a cut is like saying:

"I'm not going to work with merchants who run their affiliate programs through a network. I'm tired of networks taking a cut!"

or

"I'm not going to work with merchants any more--just the manufacturers. I'm tired of wholesalers and merchants taking a cut!"

People put so many artificial limitations on which merchants that they'll work with. You're really limiting yourself when you do that. Some limitations I can understand. Most of the ones people use should be factors to consider, but not make or break restrictions.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

While I don't actively promote them on my sites, they do represent a few merchants that don't have an affiliate program that I have seen anywhere.

I just wish I had a way to extract those merchants from their datafeed - no program on my computer is capable of working with their feed and I can't stand trying to find products thru cj itself.

----------------
    Heidi
    Prowling the night away....

During some keyword research I stumbled on a little area with some screamingly unmet demand, and Catalog City is the only merchant or whatever you want to call them that offers anything in the affiliate area that even goes close.

They don't convert too badly I've found, plenty of 'real' merchants could learn something from them, and as already mentioned they offer some things which you can't find anywhere or not without joining some unknown indie.

CatalogCity - Sells none of its own product line, all its products are available through an affiliate program. When the only place I can find an item using CJ is within Catalog City I simply hit the WebFerret. Webferret still has the best product locater around.

I locate the affiliate program and immediately join to sell their entire line! Those off Indies are making money or else CatalogCity would not be promoting them.

SandraR
    ArtGoodies - AutoGoodies - BookGoodies - CleanGoodies - GameGoodies - GiftGoodies - PetGoodies

http://www.catalogcity.com/down/down.htm

www.CatalogCity.com is temporarily closed for updates and improvements. We are working on making a better shopping experience for you. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.
    The site will be available soon, so please try connecting again to: www.catalogcity.com.
    Thank you for your patience.

- www.catalogcity.com Staff

Looks like it's back up again. (If only CJ could make "updates and improvements" that fast!)

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

SandraR,

FYI, in some cases, it's smarter to use CatalogCity than the orginal mechants, and in most cases, it's smarter to use CatalogCity than Amazon.com.

Like Rhea, I found a group of products only they had, and linked to them. Blockbuster!

So, before you make another assumption, know all the facts and details.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    SamBay, I should probably qualify my statement about alternatives to CatalogCity. I don't consider Amazon an alternative to anything. lol!

I only use Amazon for one very targetted niche that they haven't yet figured out how to redirect my visitors/sales for their own profit to the exclusion of mine.

quote:
    Originally posted by SamBay:
    So, before you make another assumption, know all the facts and details.

Ignorance is a bliss with you, I have dealt with CatalogCity since they arrived at CJ, 98' when they developed the software they are using to work as a merchant when in-fact they are an affiliate.

Your comment “When I know all the details”, shows you are a very simple person and do not have a clue to attack me with that ignorant statement.

I was shocked that anyone still uses CatalogCity, because I have put in the years figuring our what they are up too, and how to make full commission instead of partial commissions.

My comments should have been taken as a tip and not as a slaughter to CatalogCity.

Sambay you really need to get a grip!

SandraR

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Guess CC is Ok if you want just banners
    Trying to impliment a product link on a site that actually is still on their site after a couple months in nothing less than a miracle
    I have no interest in monitoring their whims to change links without warning

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Oh, whatever SandraR. Ok, you're the smartest, and nobody else pays any attention, or know who to promote as well as you do.

To me, they make me the best money with other alternatives, so I use them. Why would you come to conclusion that I pay little attention? Why does that shock you? Or, what doesn't shock you, anyway?

Why? Because it's your ignorance and idiocy that you blame others for.

You get a grip and more!

quote:
    Originally posted by SandraR:
    I was shocked that anyone still uses CatalogCity, because I have put in the years figuring our what they are up too, and how to make full commission instead of partial commissions.
    Just because the things you've tried with them haven't worked doesn't mean that nothing with them will work. Several people here have said that they found ways to do okay with CC. Considering they have over a million products from hundreds of merchants, there's a lot of potential.

Obviously it wouldn't be smart to promote them at 5% if you can get 20% directly from the merchant, but many of their merchants have niche products that aren't available anywhere else.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Yank their niche' merchants out of Yahoo stores and put them in TT.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

quote:
    Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    Just because the things you've tried with them haven't worked doesn't mean that nothing with them will work. Several people here have said that they found ways to do okay with CC. Considering they have over a million products from hundreds of merchants, there's a lot of potential.

Obviously it wouldn't be smart to promote them at 5% if you can get 20% directly from the merchant, but many of their merchants have niche products that aren't available anywhere else.

Michael Coley

I did not reply to Sambay's childish post because people here find value in making 5% of the sale as opposed to full commission.

I was shocked - SHOT ME - DAMN! I had no idea there were enough people here that still use them. DAMN SHOOT ME AGIAN.

If CatalogCity is your cup of tea have at it! Good Luck Kudos’ to you! If you feel the need to trash me while defending your 5% go for it! There is a sucker born everyday and everyone has a right to work for a pittance if they want! I hope those supporting them obtain the value you are seeking.

SandraR

Sandra,

I'm not trying to trash you. I'm just pointing out that some people do okay with CC.

Sure, I'd rather promote a merchant directly at a higher commission than through CC, but not all of their merchants run public affiliate programs.

As for just making a 5% commission, I have some programs that pay as little as 1%. I'd rather make 1% on something than 100% on nothing. I prefer higher commissions, but some of my 5% and lower merchants are some of my best performers.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I tired of playing the CC musical chairs game a long time ago. What's on a page doesn't stay there for long. I found it time consuming and tedious to continually check to see if their links went to the proper page.

There today, gone tomorrow.

So, I started just pulling their links every time I found one that went to the wrong page. I have very few CC links now. I find it inexcusable that a merchant would move products around without notifying their affiliates of the changes. Unless, of course, they don't really care if their affiliates succeed with them or not.

For those of you still promoting CC, may the force be with you!

Andy

CC is considerably OK to me. I don’t mind with their low commission and extended transactions as well. But I hate to find they refer to their affiliate coupon site that I doubt whether I’ll get credit on sales from that site, and so many Google AdSense in their product pages.

Same thing like Andy, I keep only a few CC links now just to enhance my malls section.

IRS

Don’t ask why the ball doesn’t come.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread