Reading through all the posts here in the CJ forum has lead me to believe that signing up to join CJ affiliates is not worth the effort. If I'm correct, the checks come from CJ, but often times the affiliates don't pay CJ, so they don't send the checks out to publishers like they should.

Plus, most in house affiliate programs offer a better commission than their CJ version.

Is there any real advantage to joining CJ affiliate programs rather than in-house programs?

ABW Ambassador
    Actually CJ is the most dependable for paying and paying on time. There have been some merchants with financial problems but overall you do get paid and paid on time. Also the payments are consolidated. So you can get a little here and a little there and it will be combined into 1 check.

I work in lounge pants

I agree with what Trust said. I (like many others) get extremely frustrated with some of their stunts but I have had a pretty good run with them so far. I also like their interface (when it's working fully) and a consistant datafeed is also a plus.

Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score. The real excitement is playing the game.
    Donald Trump (1946 - ), "Trump: Art of the Deal"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I strongly agree with what Trust said. I also agree with what Swampy said about their interface and datafeed.

Us who are in favor of CJ just get sick of bothering with the CJ-haters. Plus it's human nature to complain more than praise. That doesn't mean we don't exist! Personally I have no qualms in recommending CJ over all other options. There is the occasional deadbeat, but there are a lot less complaints of nonpayment than at a lot of other places. There is also a better selection of merchants at CJ. This better selection is what puts CJ over networks like SAS.

Some indies are good too, but it's a lot harder to verify their ability to pay before actually jumping in. If a CJ merchant sucks, it'll be posted--but if an indy sucks, there may be nobody else posting who's even heard of the place let alone knows if they pay...

quote:
    most in house affiliate programs offer a better commission than their CJ version.

"Come around back," said the fox to the hen, "where the farmer cannot see us"...

They also have the ability to disappear transactions, not report (with no EPC reporting to give them away) pay whenever-if-ever, and pull other malarkey (In that statement, I'm thinking specifically of what I've read about GoCollect.). Some merchants seem to have less-than-pure motives for trying to move affiliates to an in-house program. Not all are like that, but it's worth double-checking to make sure that there's no bad reports about the indy program.

If there ARE bad reports about a program at a dual-source merchant, RUN FROM BOTH options! Crookery spreads.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    CJ is definately worth the effort, some really great merchants. There are some indies out there too where you can earn a ton of money from, so keep an eye out there as well.

- - - - - - - - -
    I will FOCUS on my goal, and I shall NOT be denied.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I piss and moan about CJ a lot, but it has been my best affiliate program for a lot of years. I think CJ is a decent way to start in affiliate marketing because they lump payments from merchants. Whether you're successful will depend a lot on the merchants you choose to work with.

I'm very cautious. At the first sign of trouble I start pulling links unless the AM can give me a sincere and valid reason to stick with them. Reversals are a red flag. "It ain't a sale until the check clears," is my motto. Recently I've started scrutinizing new merchants for AM contact info. If there's no contact info, I won't apply. I don't want to work with a merchant who isn't willing to be contacted.

Good luck to you. This can be a very frustrating way to earn a living, but it can also be very rewarding. And you get to meet some interesting people, too!

I just got my first check from CJ. I'm not exactly a CJ superaffiliate yet, but $134 this check and double that in the pipeline--they'll stay a part of my mix unless there's a big change.

"A penny saved is not much--unless you're doing pay-per-click."

I think everyone’s been making some good points. The biggie is that CJ pays and pays on time. I don’t think I’ve ever had a late payment much less a missed payment. And don’t overlook the advantage of consolidated payments. I can test out a merchant, and if they don’t pan out, I don’t have to either keep them until I reach the minimum for a check or wave goodbye to my balance.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

When I compare the revenue I have made with all the networks, CJ is No1.There are times when I think I should not even bother with the rest.Some of the networks are just a joke.CJ pays on time all the time. I wish I was a big player because I could generate a nice income from CJ.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    CJ consolidates all merchant commissions into one check - many others don't. They pay on time. They have always responded to my questions via email within a day or two. They have quality merchants - and there are a lot to choose from.

Always Keep The Legs Moving!

better commission is nothing "0" if
    no reporting or check cutting

I tend to forget most in house programs now
    unless i know for sure this indy pay "correctly".

Thus in house programs are becoming harder to attract affiliates when many different "one check" networks start recently.

http://8n.nu

http and a telephoto
    I still don't have an answer as to whether GoCollect has paid their affiliates through CJ for December, according to CJ terms that payment should have been paid by now. As a member of the indy program we have not been paid, if CJ affiliates have been paid.... that is something I would REALLY like to know...

Deborah
    http://loxlygallery.com

ABW Ambassador
    I couldn't care less if CJ pays on time, if the payment amounts are unsubstantial by my measures, relative to the grand success I've experienced with other third parties and inhouse programs.

As I predicted for the new year 2004, CJ has and will increasingly be flooded with worthless merchants, unworthy of the time of talented and knowledgeble affiliates.

CJ has become a haven for shady merchants whose intentions are to take advantage of novice publishers/marketers. That they will do ...although increasingly challenged by programs such as the likes of Google Adsense, who is winning more and more devotion among such novice publishers/marketers.

CJ is but a single egg in my basket, and one that receives less and less of my time and devotion as time marches forward.

ABW Ambassador
    I think CJ has some nice merchants.

"CJ has become a haven for shady merchants whose intentions are to take advantage of novice publishers/marketers"

Don't see how CJ is different from any other network, except with consolidated and timely payments might make them just a little better

I work in lounge pants

quote:
    Should I join CJ? Or use in-house affs?
    YES! (Don't you just hate it when people answer a "one or the other" question with "Yes"?)

Don't restrict yourself to just working with CJ merchants OR just working with independent merchants. Try any merchant you think might work. Different merchants work differently for different sites. You'll find good ones everywhere.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Do whatever you want.

ABW Ambassador
    One thing about CJ, is that they always send you a GOOD check and on time. Lately things have been a bit FUNKY, especially this weekend, but overall they are worth working with.

I've been one of the folks complaining about CJ. In all fairness, I am starting to put some CJ ads back on my site. But, like the post above, I am contacting the merchant first and finding out their position about diverted traffic. I'm also taking a close look at their site and plan to test for topmoxie pops.

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

SAS has consolidated checks and they pay very reliably. Additionally, if a merchant does not keep their escrow up, the links are directed to a page of your choice so you have a chance to direct the customer somewhere else. The merchants get NO FREE TRAFFIC! This is a heck of a motivator to get the merchant to send in that escrow money that protects you.

SAS has 764 parasite free merchants to choose from. When you use these merchants, it is a big vote against parasites.

So I would say, check out SAS, if they don't have enough good merchants to keep you busy making pages and out of trouble, CJ is one other place you could look. Me, I don't have time to get to CJ merchants. There are too many better choices. My best paying merchant is an indy.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Ultimately, go with trusted programs that offer the type of links, product showcases, data feeds, etc, that are best for you. You may wish to go with both CJ and Independent for a given merchant for different pages of your site.

Always Keep The Legs Moving!

To CJ or not to CJ is the question...I choose to not work with CJ. They look the other way when it comes to parasite affiliates that steal commissions IMO. A lot of people don't care about that but I do. You all want to make CJ a bunch of money at your expense...go right ahead.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread