Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am not sure why CJ is allowing Barclaycard to reverse more than 80% of all its transactions from the last 5 months.

For those who do not know, either CJ or Barclaycard made a mistake sometime last year in how sales were tracked. This mistake went on for a long time -- leading us affiliates to believe that we were making good money. We therefore started spending more to make more.

Then, CJ/Barclaycard realized they were overpaying and starting in Dec, then Jan and finally in Feb reversed over 80% of all transactions.

I had over $2,000 in reversals. This means that instead of netting $500 (I do a lot of PPC), I lost $1,500. I did nothing wrong, but I got left holding the bag.

I think that CJ and Barclaycard need to give this board an answer as to what happened.

To make matters worse, they have lied or misspoke about this several times, indicating that it would be fixed in Jan and that they would increase commission rates to cover some of the loss. Neither happened.

Therefore, Haiko I respectfully ask that you suspend CJ on this board or do something to them until they figure out how to make this right.

quote:
    Therefore, Haiko I respectfully ask that you suspend CJ on this board or do something to them until they figure out how to make this right.

Fark tag = unlikely

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

I don't think CJ even wants to be on this board. They would be perfectly happy if none of their affiliates had a way to contact others. This is why they got rid of their own forum on the CJ site.

Too many dirty deeds coming to light on the old CJ board, causing them bad PR. I remember Haiko was one of the biggest opponents to CJ at the time. Todd comes here to do damage control, but would likely prefer to not have to deal with ABW at all.

Thank goodness Haiko was proactive and started ABW just in time!

ABW is a thorn in CJ's side, IMO.

Andy

Just for clarification. The reversals I am talking about were from transactions I had already been paid for and had cashed the check. My CJ account for Barclaycard has been negative every month for the last 3. I have to advertise other CJ products just to pay off this "debt".

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It's preposterous to think that CJ would hold the affiliates accountable financially for a mistake made by a merchant.

Considering that Barclay is a financial institution that apparently can't program a financial formula correctly, I sure wouldn't want to take out one of their credit cards.

Isn't this kind of situation the reason firms take out professional liability insurance, or am I confused?

quote:
    I had over $2,000 in reversals. This means that instead of netting $500 (I do a lot of PPC), I lost $1,500. I did nothing wrong, but I got left holding the bag.

quote:
    Just for clarification. The reversals I am talking about were from transactions I had already been paid for and had cashed the check. My CJ account for Barclaycard has been negative every month for the last 3. I have to advertise other CJ products just to pay off this "debt".

Bl**dy H*ll!
    Surely that can't be legal?

Or if it is, I need to read CJ T&C more carefully!

It's certainly bad PR for both CJ and Barclays.

That has to be the worst thing I have ever heard in affiliate marketing. Where the affiliate owes the company money.

If I were you I would dump CJ.

Join again with a different business name, by creating a new business name you are clean and clear. So many other MERCHANTS using CJ do it all the time and get a fresh start to steal our money. CJ allows it all the time, I have seen the same damn companies time and time again with different names, and so it’s not like your doing anything against policy.

CJ must condone the changing of company names to get a fresh start or else they would not let the creeps back in.

SandraR
    ArtGoodies - AutoGoodies - BookGoodies - CleanGoodies - GameGoodies - GiftGoodies - PetGoodies
    | SSAN & AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN & Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |

Close your account and open a new one.

quote:
    Originally posted by wbuch123:
    That's the risk you take with PPC. Whether it's situations like this, or companies that go bankrupt, or companies that don't pay, you run the risk of holding the bag.

I can certainly see your side, however, in that Barclaycard overstated your earnings, which caused you to think you could afford to spend more. Have you tried talking to Barclaycard to see if they would give you a "good will adjustment" to compensate you?

I *STRONGLY* disagree with CJ's policy of going back and reversing LOCKED transactions for ANYTHING other than fraud. Once a transaction is locked, the affiliate should be paid for it.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I agree with Michael.

ATKOgirl

FYI - any reversals of commissions also reverse our txn fees. In other words, we aren't happy about reversals either.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    I *STRONGLY* disagree with CJ's policy of going back and reversing LOCKED transactions for ANYTHING other than fraud. Once a transaction is locked, the affiliate should be paid for it.

The only LOCKED transactions I've seen at CJ that never ever seem to change after being LOCKED are the REVERSALS!

CJ should rename LOCKED to PERHAPS!

Andy

Close down that "in debt" CJ account and open a new one, use a mailbox address or a relative's if you need to.

Do you think the men in suits running Barclays Bank would work for *nothing* for months to pay off an accounting error... NO CHANCE!... and neither should you!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    ...by creating a new business name you are clean and clear.

You aren't Bernie Ebbers in disguise are you? There is a good question as to whether or not CJ would pursue an affiliate after changing their business name and setting up a new account. However, the name itself is not the legal entity and CJ would probably be in the right if they placed liens against other accounts attached to your SSN or corporate tax id.

If you want to play games like this, then you should have multiple incorporated entities...like Enron.

As for the rest of the post I agree 100% that when a company makes a financial miscalculation and do not catch the mistake in a set auditing time, then they should eat the mistake. Companies make financial blunders everyday and routinely eat the cost. It's what makes the world go around.

BTW, you have a nice enough sum in dispute that a small claims against Barclay would be in order. It is likely that you would win. The more small claims that get filed and won will make affiliate marketing a better industry.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    For those still living in the corporate dream world of the Clinton era ...GWB's in office now. He seeks no special interest of campaign contributions to buy favortism on Capital Hill.

CJ and the other networks sure need to make sure their trusted relationships are an open book.

Mr. Waksal was shipped off instead to the Schuylkill Federal Correctional Institute in Minersville, Pa., which did not make our list of Club Fed prison sites. Unlike the five free-standing federal prison camps on our list, facilities like Schuylkill are attached to menacing, medium-security facilities. As a result, inmates at the low-security camp are often required to work in the medium-security buildings, surrounded by guards, barbed wire and more serious offenders. Were she to end up in a similar place, the former Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia (nyse: MSO - news - people ) CEO could end up washing dishes and sweeping floors for pennies an hour.

Waksal may soon have some company. This week saw the start of the jury selection for Adelphia Communications (otc: ADELQ - news - people ) founder John Rigas, while ex-Tyco (nyse: TYC - news - people ) executives L. Dennis Kozlowski and Mark Swartz continue to plead their case in court. Disgraced Enron (otc: ENRNQ - news - people ) chief Jeffrey Skilling is right behind them, having just been indicted on conspiracy, fraud, and insider trading.

Former HealthSouth (otc: HLSH - news - people ) executives including Richard Scrushy are still facing charges of inflating income, while the federal government has yet to charge WorldCom (otc: WCOEQ - news - people ) ex-chief Bernard Ebbers with any wrongdoing. Guess he's next up on some prosecutor's docket.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

quote:
    For those still living in the corporate dream world of the Clinton era ...GWB's in office now. He seeks no special interest of campaign contributions to buy favortism on Capital Hill.

Put the crack pipe down, Mike! What a laugh!

I love how you can put a political spin on almost every topic. It WAS a dream world with Clinton, no deficit, money in the bank, and a great economy! GWB sure took care of that quickly, drove up a record deficit and ran the economy into the ground. GWB and special interest groups go hand in hand, just ask the loggers and oil companies. If you aren't already rich, you'll likely never get rich with GWB in office. His popularity is heading for the toilet, where it belongs. Like Father like Son, one term, then you're done.

In an effort to keep this thread on topic, I do agree with the post that Barclay's should have absorbed most if not all of this expense, especially considering the time frame involved. This could be construed as deception by some, since no allowance was apparently made for affiliates who did spend money promoting them. One has to wonder how long it went on after the error was discovered. Five months is a bit severe.

I will say I don't think it's right to just close that account, and use another. At that point, you're no better than CJ and Barclay's. In fact, you're worse because you are knowingly commiting a fraudulent act. I would file a complaint with both, perhaps contact your local authorities, but you need to take the high road and not be tempted to practice the same underhanded tactics that others practice.

Andy

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    FYI - any reversals of commissions also reverse our txn fees. In other words, we aren't happy about reversals either.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

At some point in time, though, CJ, or any network needs to consider reversals as part of overhead, instead of passing it on to individual affiliates.

When you calculate an amount due to me, then certify it as correct and payable, and then pay it to me ... I shouldn't have to worry that six months or a year later you'll change your mind and ask for that money back. Especially if it's because of an error on your part.

- Ed

quote:

Andy: You must have read my mind.

---------

They should have wrote that off as a loss. They would not get the money back from me. I'd drop their @ss and move on...Oh wait a minute, I alredy dropped CJ months ago.

I love it how Todd pops in and carefully selects the posts he'll answer to. He might as well not post at all.

Andy, I'll be laughing my ass off at you and the others when Bush gets reelected this fall. We'll just wait and see.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Jeez I'll have to cut my bait down to half a worm in these times of economic turmoil.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I love it how Todd pops in and carefully selects the posts he'll answer to. He might as well not post at all.

I concur.

I remember an email a few months ago about Barclays being told off by the office of fair trading for a misleading advertising campaign concerning their 0% credit card........I bet that has a lot to do with the reversals......the public is probably cancelling their Barclaycards and Barclays is being forced to accept they misled folks into applying for an offer that was not as it seemed !!

By the way.....the Aprilia RSV is still lovely and has covered a big 100 miles !!

Malc

quote:
    ABW is a thorn in CJ's side, IMO.

ABW was opened specifically to counter CJs efforts to keep us from talking to each other.

Didn't work, thanks to Haiko.

Yep, I am starting to think Dubya is a one term wonder. Unfortunately, so much damage is already done.

Oh well, it will be younger people than myself paying for most of it. I hope if you want him longer, you have deep pockets. You will need them.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

quote:
    Andy, I'll be laughing my ass off at you and the others when Bush gets reelected this fall. We'll just wait and see.

Please do not misinterpret my post as a slam on the Bush presidency. It was directed at the idea that Bush does not accept special interest money, which is such a ridiculous concept as to defy any sort of logic. The Democrats are no better.

It doesn't matter who ends up in the White House, we'll end up getting fleeced and lied to.

---------

That is really sad that happen to you!

And i am sorry to hear your lost.
    I hope that you get some back (I know wishfull thinking)!

If that ever happen to my acct. that I ended up owning instead of making money with all the links I put up for CJ or any other network or merchants. There is no way I am going to give you my money that I earn promoting!

Close the account and move on there is alot of ways to make money on this business and you don't need to be in a hole to pay them when they get paid either way!
    Geez that is terrible and I feel so bad for you!

Good luck!

What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast