On Sunday of last week I was notified by my ISP http://ev1servers.net (aka rackshack) that I had been reported to be in violation of their AUP/TOS for publishing copyrighted material.

The material in question was Children of the Inner Light from the Gocollect datafeed.

They said they sent me an email on Friday, which I did not received, the next thing was a phone call at 11:45pm on Sunday to notify me that my server was unplugged. It took over an hour of phone calls and chats to get the server online, and I had unconditionally to agree to remove the material in question.

I have tried all this week to have ev1servers to provided me with the information of whoever reported me so I can forward it to Gocollect and clear the situation. I have no information on the accuser yet.

To Gocollect: would you please clarify if Children of the Inner Light is copyrighted material, and if we are allowed to publish it based on our affiliate agreement?
    If it is, which I have not heard otherwise, would you contact abuse@ev1servers.net and explain to them that we are allowed to use it under that agreement? I can provide you with a case number if it would make communication easier.

To other affiliates: Be aware of Rackshack policies. I have been reading on the boards and they are using a very agressive policy of unplugging servers if a violation is reported. It is understandable that they would do this to protect other clients, but it is very frustating dealing with this attitude of you are guilty until proven innocent, and we will not provide you with the evidence to prove your innocence.

If you have had similar cases please post, I think we all would want to know.

http and a telephoto
    If you email or call GoCollect directly they will verify and will remove the products from the datafeed if they are in violation. I was contacted about a product earlier this year, forwarded the email to GoCollect and told the person that contacted me about the violation that the images and information came from GoCollect and it was all taken care of in about 24 hours.

Of course you are now on a weekend and won't get a hold of anyone until Monday, but this should be handled quickly on Monday.

(edited)
    I was going to pull the pages but can't find anything like this in the feed and a search of GC site doesn't bring any hits. How old are your links and the datafeed you are using? If it is current, than who is the manufacturer?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

@Deborah - when you say "taken care of" do you mean GC accepted it was wrong and pulled the info (I don't recall ever getting notification of them of such a change) ... or that it was clarified to the complainant that it was fair use?

I'm not pulling anything until I understand if this is just some malicious complaint from a competitor - seems like someone at Children of the Inner Light was being awfully zealous to pursue this over a weekend ... and awfully ill-informed to make a complaint to EV1 without following the clicks through to GoCollect and working out what's going on.

http and a telephoto
    Meaning GoCollect was wrong, but all they needed to do was add a line to the description about who the copyright belonged to. They fixed the datafeed that night, I fixed my own pages and everyone was happy. The copyright holder contacted me, not my isp.

If you check your datafeeds, one I have from February has the Children of the Inner Light, but one from March does not. I think they need to be removed and have removed the pages from my site, even though they weren't linked to the front index page any longer. It appears the products are gone from the GoCollect site as well.

My own advice, download the latest feed and update your sites. But that's just me of course.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Also, re-read the first post, this has been going on for a week, I would have made sure it was resolved by communicating directly with GoCollect the next business day...

GoCollect AM's don't come here very often, don't expect them to reply here. Contact them directly, they answer the phone....
    Deborah Carney

LOL - I hadn't even checked when I posted. You're right ... those products aren't on my pages any more as the sites are updated automatically. That's the beauty of automation

I was talking more about the principle of pulling pages because of a complaint without being sure of it's validity. If people get to know that EV1 are on a hair trigger, it could become a real sport.

http and a telephoto
    Well, it looks like there was something to this one... it doesn't appear that EV1 is on a hair trigger after all.
    Deborah Carney

I did not contact Gocollect first, because I would have wanted to tell them who reported me, to clarify if it was legitimate complaint, by now the links are gone, but I will contact GoCollect if they don't post a response here.

After checking the GoCollect website, Children of the Inner Light is indeed gone from their website... that was not the case on Sunday when I removed the links, I checked the links before I removed them to see if they were still working, and around midnight of last Sunday they were working...

I am not sure how old the pages/feed was, but it was not the latest feed I was using...

It would seem that since GoCollect has retired that line, it must have been the manufacturer (Children of an Inner Light) that reported me. I wish EV1 would just say so.

Checking other ISPs AUP/TOS they all seem to have a "right to remove a server without prior notification" so I don't think it matters where you are hosting.

http and a telephoto
    For future reference, always contact the merchant where you got the data from immedicately. They can save you headaches and it is their responisibility to follow up on questions like that.

The data feed I have is dated March 5, so they were pulled the friday before you got your notice.

I do wish that GoCollect would notify affiliates if products are pulled due to copyright infringement complaints. I try to update every 3 weeks or so, but lots of folks don't update at all and can get their sites pulled if they are in violation.
    Deborah Carney

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread