Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members,

I have been emailing David Elam about joining to answer technical questions and solve glitches that any affiliates may have. As he has been recently promoted he doesn't have as much time as before but notwithstanding his time limitations, he is more than willing to investigate glitch or technical questions that any of us may have.

He will be watching this thread and his email for any specific glitch problems that we you may have so please do NOT post anything that is not a real and technical question as We WILL delete any inappropriate post in this thread, please do not waste his time nor be unappreciative of his commitment to help resolve these type issues.

Thank you David and Congratulations on your well deserved promotion!

Haiko

hi david,

thanks so much for agreeing to help out, i know that you are busy so i'll try to keep it short

as someone else asked, if someone clicks a product link and then buys something else do we still get a commision?

i just had some batched sales for an amount of $0.00 could you explain some of the possible causes for sales of an amount of $0.00?
    do you agree that a buyer would have to get as far as the thankyou page for any sale to be recorded?

thank you very much for your time, we have all always appreciated your input, many thanks also to haiko :cool:

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: austin powers ]

Hi David, thanks for coming here - congratulations on your promotion by the way!

Please don't think i'm knocking CJ as i really think CJ is great but i'm concerned over tracking...

In October, all my sales seem to have been recorded in the space of the 1st 16 days then nothing (similar thing ocurred in september)

I've just been doing some calculations regarding my stats -

this years totals (from march when i joined CJ):

50 sales, 6456 hits, Â*65,371 impressions
    = 1 sale per 129.12 hits
    (lets call it 1 sale per 130 hits for ease of calculations)

My 1st transaction for october 2001 was on 1 october, followed by 8 more transactions spread between that date and 16october 2001.
    last transaction (ie sale): 16 oct 01

Total number of hits last month=1430
    which is an average of 1430/31 = 46.12 hits per day.

Estimated number of hits from 17oct01 to 2 November 01 = 46.17*17
    = 784.04

therefore, using probability theory;

probability of getting no sales in 1 hit=129/130
    = 0.9923076923077

therefore, probability of getting no sales in 784 hits= 0.9923076923077 ^ 784
    = 0.002348251810307
    =1/425

or 0.2348251810307 % probability.

to put it simpler, less probability than tossing a coin and it coming up heads 8 times in a row (try it a few times, it's not very likely you'll succeed). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

So, it's not impossible that I've gotten no sales in the last half of october (784 hits), just not very likely.

A similar drought of transactions happened in the second half(ish) of september, from 18sep01 to 30 sep 01 although with less hits per day.

None of the merchants involved use batch processing according to their info pages on CJ, and none have the little 'b' coming up under batched transations so that's not the answer to why I've been getting no sales in the last half of the past 2 months.

Been doing the affiliate thing for a long time (was with one of my merchants for a couple of years before they joined CJ) and although huge numbers aren't involved (which could be the answer) this pattern just feels wrong to me, particularly as it has happened 2 months in a row.

Is there any light you can shed on why this (no transactions in the last half of the past 2 months) seems to be happening?

All the very best in the new position!

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: futuresky ]

ABW Ambassador
    Does this mean we get to see the answers to the questions from the last Ask The experts? David was the pro up to bat.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    David, I read a lot about being able to set the destination for links at CJ. It was often stated that "you can look and see if the merchant allows this".

The question is, WHERE to look? None of the Advertiser Profiles I look at mention it one way or the other!

Congrats on your promotion, btw!

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

futuresky,

If tracking is a problem in the second half of each month, then maybe we should only promote the merchants in the first half of each month.

Something certainly seems screwed up with end result be it CJ tracking or merchants monkeying around with the tracking on their sites. :eek:

Big Chuck,

quote:
    Does this mean we get to see the answers to the questions from the last Ask The experts?

The answers are here: http://www.cjuniversity.com/discussion.html

All the best,
    Karl

>Fraud, by our transaction type definition, is considered compliance. Compliance is not factored into the chargeback rate.

What is 'compliance'?

And if 'fraud' isn't an invalid credit card, what is it?

f

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the link Karl [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Regards,
    Dave

Hi David, You mentioned before about your collection dept. How long do you try to collect from merchants that left CJ and if by chance you do collect even if its say 6 months down the road will it be credited to our account. An example would be Jackpot.com who left owing me several hundred dollars and Shared greetings. Is it posible for CJ to list all contact information when a collection is taking place so that we can also have all the info (phone numbers, management emails and so on) we as affiliates need to try to also collect. This isn't just CJ's lost money it is ours also. BTW has CJ collected anything from Jackpot since they left. Will CJ pay us before they take their cut from merchants that have left without paying or does CJ take what is owed them and if anything is left pays us. I'm not trying to state anything, this is just something I have always wondered about.

Thanks David for your time.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the link Karl

Thanks for the link Karl [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-Joey

David,
    can you tell us what CJ did today when the site was down - once it came up I noticed I have my first sale recorded today since 16th october (after approx. 922 hits)?

Commission King,
    Interesting idea! :cool:

David, actually what Futuresky is saying I happen to notice a lot of the times. When CJ was down for upgrades or whatever and tracking was delayed that I seem to do better them days. Is there a different way that leads and sales are tracked or reported on the days when work is being done at CJ's? It might be something that you could look into.

FutureSky, glad you got a sale finally. Hope it continues for you.

ABW Ambassador
    David, what is the deal with the big alledged CJ conspiracy to encourage merchants to reduce cookie duration. Word on the street is they discussed this at CJU and that at least one merchant has emailed affiliates admitting to same.

My theory, and correct me if I am wrong, is as follows:

1) that for many programs cookie duration is very important to the affiliate earnings
    2) CJ increased its take by 50% a few months back
    3) CJ then explained to merchants that they could make up for it by reducing affiliate cookies
    4) thus CJ increases its income, merchants payments stay in control, and affiliates lose.

ABW Ambassador
    Knock ... Knock ... Knock

Dave? Dave?

(from behind the door)

"Daves's not here!!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

quote:
    Cheech and Chong

Dave

Affiliate Network Rep
    Austin Powers,

I would follow up with advertisers who post a $0 transaction. There are some concievable reasons such as a give away or something, but if I were you, I would follow up to see if they have a good reason.

quote:
    do you agree that a buyer would have to get as far as the thankyou page for any sale to be recorded?

I'm not sure what you mean, but batch advertisers can record the transaction from whereever they choose.

I'll answer some more questions later.

Thanks for visiting David Elam! We appreciate all your help.

David,

Welcome and Thank You for all your help!

Haiko

I thought pigs would fly before any one from Cj would answer questions here @ A Best Web. It's great to see you here David and I look forward to reading your posts.

Hi David Elam

welcome welcome, welcome fellow publisher and allround groovy cat

i tried emailing but some advertisers dont reply, another said the zero sales where due to invalid CC and the advertiser that batched sales of zero said he had uploaded the wrong amount and promptly reversed them, batching makes it too easy for an advertiser to cheat because publishers cant see the amount that the sale was for and seems to give advertisers plenty of oppertunity to alter figures

>the thankyou page thing, i meant i presume that someone has to enter their cc info and name address ect before clicking submit and going to the "thankyou page" and the sale is recorded from the "thankyou page"
    i was just trying to rule out "out of stock" as a reason for zero sales because the shopper shouldn't have got as far as the thanks page in that event

thanks for your time david :cool:

Affiliate Network Rep
    futuresky,

Don't take this too personally, but since I'm not representing CJ, I guess that I don't have to be that nice.

50 sales for the year doesn't provide any reliable statistics. In fact, it's pretty bad. People here post a lot of information about how sales go. Sometimes, advertisers just don't convert, etc. Work on getting better site traffic and worry less about tracking.

David.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Leader,

You can now see if the advertiser allows image or link redirects from the Get HTML page.

Best of luck,
    David.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Packy,

Our finance dept.,legal dept., and an outside debt collector are on the debt collection job. They don't have any way to let you know the status of the collection efforts.

When we do get paid, publishers are paid based on a first come first served basis. CJ takes their cut out of these transactions. We don't take all of our money first, then pay you.

Hope that helps,
    David.

ps. I seriously doubt that if we can't get the money that you will be able to get the money.

Affiliate Network Rep
    futuresky & packy,

When the site is down for scheduled maintainence... if the maintainence requires any work at the database level, we temporarily prevent the loading of new data into the database. That's it.

When the site comes back up, we begin loading data again. Tracking continues during this time because tracking is recorded on tracking servers into flay files and loaded into the database.

There is no correlation between the site being down and you suddenly getting sales.

Best of luck,
    David.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast