ABW Ambassador
    A user clicks through my napster link and signs up for napster. I get no commissions. No problem, They haven’t spent any money right?

The problem is, They can now buy songs for .99 and whole albums for 9.99 and I will NOT get any commissions.

IF they sign up for the $10 a month contract then I will get a commish. The end user can stream whole songs with the $10 a month contract and only 30 second clips if they do not sign up. Buying songs remains the same price.

Bottom line: My visitors can click through my link, spend money and I will get nothing unless they also want to stream music and sign up for $10 a month contract.

Aside from the first trouble some had with napster this is really lame. I like the service and wish I could stick with their program.

Is anyone doing well with napsters program? Has anyone else noticed this?

ABW Ambassador
    Action: Become a Paid Member of Napster
    Action Criteria Become a Paid Member of Napster
    Action Referral Period 45 day(s)
    Action Referral Occurrences Unlimited
    Commission $8.00

Yeah, they have to sign up and become a paid member to get paid, i have had a few sales showing up. But i agree with you, we should get some sort of compensation for people buying songs and albums.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on January 26, 2004 at 01:57 PM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Trustno1 that bet is still on as I have total faith that 50% of the online music download sales companies with go belly up in 2004. In the transition period before the bankrupsy filing some like the VC company running NapsterII will take to bundling BHO adwarez with their player.

The Ad whores never disappoint as the terms of their affiliate commission structure shows they are a greed driven operation.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    They're jerks . . . dump 'em or don't *****

Brian
    aka Cyclone

I agree with Brian and Mike....

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

ABW Ambassador
    Was just watching the Grammys and they promoted this site:
    http://www.whatsthedownload.com/

which promotes Napster. They won't go belly up and they will never bundle BHOs. I am willing to up the bet, just let me know.

If anything affiliates should push Napster. I would rather have my site visitors downloading music legally with no pop up advertising, then downloading music illegally with pop up advertising.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on February 08, 2004 at 11:32 PM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ....
    Posted on Thu, Feb. 19, 2004

Smiles fade at Napster
    MUSIC SERVICE IS LOSING MONEY AND EXECUTIVES

By Dawn C. Chmielewski

Mercury News

It was a breakthrough deal that would have put the Napster kitty on millions of Hewlett-Packard computers.

But in the days leading up to Napster's re-launch in late October, HP suddenly -- and without explanation -- returned Napster's $250,000 check and canceled the agreement to install a link to Napster's online music service on its computers. Worse, in January HP announced a surprise partnership with Napster rival Apple Computer to feature the iTunes Music store on HP computers and sell Hewlett-Packard branded iPod music players.

Neither HP nor Napster's parent company, Roxio, would comment on the soured deal, whose details were confirmed by sources familiar with the agreement. But its collapse was one of several setbacks since the reintroduction of Napster, the pioneering song-swapping renegade, as a paid music service.

Napster is losing money, and top executives have left the company, including its president, chief financial officer, vice president of programming and head of corporate communications as well a key board member. On Wednesday, Roxio began laying off people at its Napster division. A Roxio spokeswoman said the company was ``eliminating redundancies in the organization'' but declined to say how many people lost their jobs.

And while Napster can claim it's the second most popular online music service, information provided by insiders at two of the major music labels shows it sells only about a quarter the number of downloads from their artists as Apple's market-leading iTunes store. Napster refused to release download figures.

``I think it's a very competitive market with very ugly economics and there's just no money in the download business,'' said Steven B. Frankel, managing director of Adams, Harkness and Hill, a Boston investment bank.

Napster 2.0 launched with a celebrity-studded bash at the House of Blues in Los Angeles and the bold pronouncements of its chairman and chief executive, Chris Gorog, who hailed the reborn Napster as the best-known brand in online music.

The reality of reincarnating the onetime bete noir of the music industry into a legitimate music service proved more sobering. Napster lost $15 million in its first two months of operation. And the most recent sales data reported to two of the major music labels shows Napster with an estimated 12 percent share of the download market, compared to Apple's 56 percent. Analysts estimate Napster's market share at 15 percent to 20 percent.

No music players to sell

Perhaps more telling is the state of Napster's subscription business, which is widely perceived as more lucrative than selling 99-cent songs. That's especially key for a service like Napster, which unlike Apple, derives no income from the sale of a branded music player.

Napster declined to provide specific subscriber numbers for its service, aside from noting that downloads and subscriptions each contributed equally to Napster's $3.6 million in revenue for the last three months of 2003.

That means Napster has attracted about 90,000 subscribers in its first two months -- ranking it fourth, behind RealNetworks' Rhapsody service, America Online's MusicNet and MusicMatch.

The rich rats are jumping ship and the Ad Whores seeking to spin the Adwarez revenue web will fill the void. Watch out for those free trial downloads to sneak in eBates/WhenU/Gator/n-Case to shore up this sinking old boat.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

ABW Ambassador
    As long as more people are legally downloading that's great, regardless of service. They still won't bundle with adware/shopping applications, like the Morpheus-Ebates co-bundle.

I work in lounge pants

I am waiting for Real Networks to do their next batch report to see how things went. So far, it hasn't been much to write home about.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Div:
    I am waiting for Real Networks to do their next batch report to see how things went.

Don't know much about a RealNetwork program but I do know their RealOne player was advertising Gator and another parasite-infected program which was accidentally downloaded and took several days for me to remove. Emails to them showed no interest. I use Real as little as possible. They have no integrity, in my opinion.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Napster’s revenue up 53% quarter over quarter

http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=11532

ABW Ambassador
    I use it myself. I like the new service and it's honest. IMHO

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread