Hi All,

I was wondering if it would be ok and would it track right if the URL that I redirect to is a search engine page? For example could I redirect to this page here at:

http://www.gadgetuniverse.com/cgi-bi....x=13&Find.y=0

Would this be ok and would it work and track right without any problems?

Thanks and Love You,
    HumbleFish

Anyone care to make a guess?

You really need to talk to the merchant in question, as tracking varies from merchant to merchant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

A lot of merchants will not track if you send them to a search results page.

See if the merchant has a search box on their banners and links section, and you can build one that tracks by looking at the html of the search link.

If you find the html for that merchant for a search box, post it here and we will build a link from it for ya if you want

Thanks Guys,

Since I didn't get an answer, I went ahead and built two different links and I can see that they are tracking in CJ; doesn't that mean that it's working?

You can always do a test purchase from one of the links.... then you will know for sure.

I agree, your only solution is to do a test purchase. In my experience merchants serps do not always track properly even when they seem to be producing click throughs.

For a true life example of this I refer you to GSI's experience with CJ. For a lengthy time the advanced linking function through CJ seemingly tracked fine, in that it was providing stats - however it did not work! If you asked GSI about it they would discourage you from using it but never outright admitted the technology was incompatible and sales were not being tracked.

At the time they had all their programs on CJ and would "suggest" you used fogdog's advanced linking and "suggest" you not use mvps (might have been vice versa) even though they both appeared to work with advanced linking.

If you do a search you should be able to find a couple of threads about that incident - over a year ago now.

I love when they drop hints like that. I remember an instance when a certain merchant "suggested" I used Befree over Performics... and another that "suggested" Independent over CJ.... You can tell there is a reason, but it is almost like talking to a lawyer and they are not allowed to tell you why.

You don't know if they have your interests in mind, or their interests in mind, and certainly don't have enough information to make a decision... It is then, I think, when your relationship and the AM credibility that really kicks in.

ABW Ambassador
    From the merchant's point of view, clearly the tracking with the most holes is the preferred network. After all, it is not a bug it is a feature and a very lucrative feature at that.

I shouldn't speak ill of my trusted third parties. After all, I know that VCLK has my best interests in mind. After all, any money I get beyond hosting fees will just get spent on loose women.

We're talking about an AFFILIATE-GENERATED link here. The merchant or network can't be responsible for that. They should be willing to check it or confirm that it works, but if you're going to build your own links, you need to take some responsibility. Why do these discissions have to degrade to "merchants want networks that don't track right"? That's just ludicrous. Most merchants want affiliates to be justly rewarded.

Don't assume that the sale will track just because the click tracked. It may or may not. The only way to know for sure is to generate a sale, have the merchant check the link, or make sure you have a really good understanding of how the links, cookies, and sale reporting works.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I have a merchant who offered product links - but NOT the products I wanted to feature.

So I too did the search redirect. And tested it for several weeks.

Since it worked, I made about 500 pages using a search redirect for the products that I wanted.

THEN, the merchant changed the look of their site (and their URLs, etc), and all 500 of my pages just linked to their homepage. The search redirect stopped working altogether.

I had to drop what I was doing - for about 2 weeks(!!), and devote ALL my time to changing all these links.

So DEFINATELY contact the merchant first!!

http and a telephoto
    quote:
    Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    Don't assume that the sale will track just because the click tracked. It may or may not. The only way to know for sure is to generate a sale, have the merchant check the link, or make sure you have a really good understanding of how the links, cookies, and sale reporting works.

I have been pounding on 2 merchants about this very issue. Maybe I will make a test purchase to prove my point. Traffic is registering and there is a definite drop in sales that isn't seasonally related. One didn't track a sale for 2 months and since I was in a major upheavel on the home front, I didn't confront them until it was too late for them to go back and check on it supposedly. They changed something in their program and tracking and sales started showing up again.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks Everyone,

Well I guess I'm going to have check this out with the vender... Bummer.

Also, I was just reading through some posts here and one person was really down on the URL redirect option all together; saying that they don't track (saying He confirmed it by making a purchase)... Is that the norm?... Would I be better off just avoiding this feature?

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread