CJ Merchants please tell me why I should not use Adsense. At least I get some cents.

Where did you get the idea that you weren't supposed to use adsense? Nearly everyone else is already using it.

The funny part about it is that you can make just as much money recycling the traffic between affiliates as you can by sending them to the merchant for the sale.

I think the main argument against using AdSense is that you'll be sending some customers to your competition.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

That is my argument, why bother tring to send clicks to an merchant that can not convert, when adsense pays better way better per 100 clicks. Of course not saying all merchants, but there is a lot of deadbeats out there. I just think I might use some merchants for fodor without an clickable link. Is that allowed? is that ethical?

you know payback time

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    I just think I might use some merchants for fodor without an clickable link. Is that allowed? is that ethical?

I think that's dubious on the first count, and most likely unethical. Since your objective isn't to provide unbiased reviews or something like that, it wouldn't really be a "fair use" of their TM I wouldn't think.

I'd just set up my AdSense unit in such a way that viewers couldn't miss seeing it, and hope for the best.

While I think it's best to give the merchant a clickable link, you don't have to coat your page with them, either.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader Thanks, but I think you know what I am getting at no payee no clickyee.

I can saturate some pages with deadbeat merchants and still get payed. Ethical of course not, but why should I be ethical? I have been giving unthecal merchants free advertising for years. Why not turn the tables and get a few cents at their expense, hey some of them write good copy I can use at their expense.

Just one more site for google to weed out? Christ! Google became.....

Why not use Adsense...there is no logical reason.

For example: it costs you 10 cents per click minimum from Overture and 5 cents minimum from
    Adwords and all the other larger PPCSE.

If you go to the keyword for almost any merchant - i.e the company name, you find them
    listed as #1 on the PPCSE paying X amount.

They are listed because they want people who search for them to be able to click thru and our willing to pay the PPCSE for the slot.

But wait a minute here...if they are willing to pay Overture 10 cents for a click thru, why are they NOT WILLING to pay me, their affiliate, 10 cents a click thru (or any amount per click) for a slot on my website?

Aren't we partners? Why do I have to get paid on the come for the same exact thing Overture gets paid a per click for?

The best thing about Adsense is you can design the navigation on the page to foster a adsense click if the visitor doesn't bite on the pre-sell for a specific merchant.

Do you make more money per click for CPA from some merchants than from an adeense per click.
    Sure...but more often than not you do not.

As for sending traffic to the competition...why not if the competition is willing to pay me for the traffic and you are not.

ABW Ambassador
    I just joined the Adsense bandwagon in the last week and in the right places it's nice. I would never use it where the traffic would go to my competition but great on pages where the merchant isn't converting. Sometimes the merchant itself is advertising through adsense and would you rather send a 100 clicks through your affiliate link making $0 or through the adsense link where you get paid each time. And other times there are merchants advertising that don't have an affiliate program. So it is the better option in some cases. Also good for newbies to help a little with their SEO. I tried it on a couple of pages and didn't like the ads that were showing, made some minor adjustments and

I use Adsense quite a bit on my site and it has proved to be quite profitable. I don't run a commercial site so I'm not worried about sending any business to my competition. While I'm not getting rich from it, the money that I do make pays for everything. I've found that since my site is informational oriented, people aren't coming to buy anything, but will check out ads that pertain to what I discuss on my site. Actual ads, such as those from CJ, don't do well at all on my site, so I keep the Google ads going.

Mike

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    I can saturate some pages with deadbeat merchants and still get payed. Ethical of course not, but why should I be ethical?~Tibbs

You asked if it was allowed and if it was ethical, so I answered in accordance with that.

From a practical ("allowability") standpoint, using their copy without permission is copyright infringement. "So?" So, it'd be easy for them to prove it and cause you lots of hash!

While aiming to kick deadbeat butt, you need to make sure your own butt can't be kicked. That means NOT doing easily-actionable things like TM and Copyright infringement. Unfortunately, it's usually a lot harder for you to prove that they are a deadbeat than it would be for them to prove you nicked their copy.

You can get the same effect (people clicking AdSense instead) by designing your pages in such a way that the AdSense links are a lot more compelling than any other ones...

quote:
    Just one more site for google to weed out? ~Tibbs

When it comes to SERP quality, that's for Google to worry about.

quote:
    Why not use Adsense...there is no logical reason. ~JJ

I never suggested not using Adsense--in fact I don't make a page without it!

quote:
    As for sending traffic to the competition...why not if the competition is willing to pay me for the traffic and you are not ~JJ

Exactly! I have no problems sending my nonbuying traffic over--for a *hefty* click fee, of course. Now if you said to put a 2c search link up, that'd be a whole different ball of wax...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Plenty of $'s a month every month from Adsense, it pays the bills....money is money....who cares from what click it arrived at!!

Malc

[This message was edited by ktmkiddy on March 23, 2004 at 03:23 AM.]
    Adverts

ktmkiddy,

Adsense TOS states you can be kicked form the program if you post anything about your earnings. I would use cuation

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by tibbs:
    CJ Merchants please tell me why I should not use Adsense. At least I get some cents.

For cents AdSense is easy, excellent, but for thusands I have found CJ more convenient..

You can achieve EPC levels not possible at AdSense...
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    Hi all, first post here.
    As to the Adsense question, I would have to agree that it sweeps up unmade sales and recycles them in to income of some kind, even if it is lower.
    I have found that Adsense is best used on pages where you know the advertiser you are sending shoppers to is a bit shaky in their conversion ratio.
    If you have a CJ (or other) advertiszer who is paying you a nice percentage and you are making money with this advertiser, then it is my opinion that you are shooting yourself in the foot with Adsense. I have seen many Adsense target pages with back button disabled and Google does not allow you to open Adsense in a new window. In this case you are certainly leaving money on the table using Adsense.
    Anyone agree? Disagree?

scohaz

>>You can achieve EPC levels not possible at AdSense...

but is that the click-thru ratio is very high for Adsense ads,
    even though AP EPC may be higher in some rare cases

You can block any URL through adsense, so if you want to prevent XYZ merchant from being on Adsense, then block XYZ's URL. It all can be done on the adsense interface.

I find that if someone has bought something online with Joe Bloggs.com (example), then by blocking that URL, I dont lose the sale through google but I get the sale through my content.

Obviously there are some dodgy affiliates out there using Adwords and outbidding Joe bloggs..etc...so it's not fool proof...but I'm reluctant to refuse income from google !!

Malc
    Adverts

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread