ABW Ambassador
    VC, you just earned my respect.

the word "respect" means "to look again."

From the press releases you had last year, it appeared like you were planning to merge CJ into BF. Thank you for realizing that that ain't right. Thank you for listening to your top performing affiliates.

I don't know yet the mechanics of how you're going to merge BF into CJ (as to how it will affect the links) but the fact that you're listening is a step in the right direction.

Bring those big name merchants at BF to CJ and let's start rocking! Internet sales are projected to really increase the next few years and we're all in for the ride.

Cheers to Todd, Jeff, CJ and VC.
    They deserve it.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Unfortunate that it wasn't the other way around. I have always done much better at Befree than CJ

And I don't get extended transactions

quote:
    Bring those big name merchants at BF to CJ

Why are the big name merchants with BF? I hope they don't leave once forced into going to CJ

All that's been said is there will be one front door to the cj and befree interfaces. I haven't seen anything about merchants being forced to move - have you?

IMO this is the worst of all worlds. One company, one set of decisions/policies being made, but we have to manage two sets of relationships through different interfaces. What's the point in that?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by jane:
    Why are the big name merchants with BF? I hope they don't leave once forced into going to CJ
    and where would they go to if they leave BF? to LS? I can live with that. LS conversion per clickthru is much much better than BF.

if we are forced to change links from BF to CJ, it'll be a major overhaul of my website. but the sweat will be sweet. better conversion and interface at CJ are worth all the trouble, not to mention that it is very easy at CJ to mass produce links.

it wasn't too long ago that i had to change a mountain of links because of GSI. but i'd be happy to see them back at CJ and redo all the links if that happens.

ABW Ambassador
    When I first started selling used books online, I subscribed Bibliofind, a popular and respected source of out-of-print books. Amazon was just starting their used book sales and purchased Bibliofind outright. What was once a reliable interface soon began a fast decline and shortly was shut down completely. Amazon also did this with a used music company at the same time.

It had nothing to do with merging, nothing to do with offering more options, nothing to do with diversifying. It had everything to do with purchasing a quality competitor for the purpose of shutting them down.

Watch for the telltale signs: more tech problems & downtime at the step-child company, an end to development programs, poor response time to inquiries, and ultimately, the email notifying you that the step-child will soon be history and how this is all for your benefit.

Wayne

quote:
    Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    When I first started selling used books online, I subscribed Bibliofind, a popular and respected source of out-of-print books. Amazon was just starting their used book sales and purchased Bibliofind outright. What was once a reliable interface soon began a fast decline and shortly was shut down completely. Amazon also did this with a used music company at the same time.

It had nothing to do with merging, nothing to do with offering more options, nothing to do with diversifying. It had everything to do with purchasing a quality competitor for the purpose of shutting them down.

Watch for the telltale signs: more tech problems & downtime at the step-child company, an end to development programs, poor response time to inquiries, and ultimately, the email notifying you that the step-child will soon be history and how this is all for your benefit.

Wayne

Right on Wayne!! I couldn't have said it better myself. I've deep-6'd my membership with CJ a while back but like to keep tabs on what's going on. I'll be lurking in the background to see what happens with this merger. When your words become realty I'll be the first to credit you!

Cheers

ABW Ambassador
    Over the long haul the plan is in fact to merge them all into CJ's interface completely. This will be 3-6 months out though as you can imagine. Some policies at CJ will change to accommate befree merchants and vice versa, but the end result will be one link structure (CJ's) and one tracking interface. It's just going to take a while!

Kudos, this was a wise decision IMO.

I also think this is wise. Perhaps a lot of the foundation work was done back in February.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Reality folks is a tough pill to swallow. Value Click is a online mass advertising agency. They haven't, and never will, wear a sales managers cap taking responsibility for equating sales with Ads. "Conversion ratio" is not a word they understand nor use in any normal conversation ..internal or external..as it has no place in any Ad Agencies mission. That mission is to rape merchants total advertising budgets (online and off) without justifying the expense beyond smoke and mirrors "reach stats".

I said it in 2000 and say it now. You could fire 50% of all the folks in the advertising industry from top to bottom and not effect total sales by 2%. Add in the normal advertising mindset costs of cashing out their favorite crutch.. INCENTS.. and the profitability of those merchant victims would actually rise due to the firings.

VC/CJ/BF haven't a clue on the meaning of this statement....WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TODAY TO PUT REAL VALUE INTO A CLICK ...from a shoppers viewpoint?

All R&D efforts since the merger are to integrate clickstream data mining and the mass reach BHO's into their entire operating proceedures. Not one peep out of them as to "cookie stuffers", SE spammers or the like of 180Solutions and other partnerships they endorse from their almighty IAB/DMA puppets.

Maybe it's time for my SAFE HAVEN network solution as anything less is just perfume on the affiliate industry pig.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by jane:
    quote:
    Bring those big name merchants at BF to CJ

I believe the merchants currently have the choice of network.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    VC/CJ/BF haven't a clue on the meaning of this statement...._WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TODAY TO PUT REAL VALUE INTO A CLICK ...from a shoppers viewpoint? _

Those in glass houses should not walk around in the nude.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Of course, I'm in favor of everything being CJ!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

For the last two months I've done better with BeFree than CJ, which is something that I never thought would happen.

I do like the unified payments and direct deposit at CJ better. I'm hoping that if any more integrating is done between the two, these become standard features of both CJ and BeFree merchants.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread