Well, folks, I think it is time we all come together in one post and let CJ know what it is going to take to restore our full confidence in them.

Over the last six weeks there have been multiple system failures including no reporting, delayed reporting, site inaccessibility, system crashes, site slowness, datafeed delays and no CJ email or newsletters from merchants for a two week period. If we are unable to access the CJ site properly, we are then unable build and update links for my merchant’s sites. We all lose profits when this occurs and it has been going on way too long now.

Let's use this thread to serve as one big voice to let CJ know what is needed to restore our full confidence. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Don't upgrade the system unless you are sure it will not crash. Seems almost every time it is updated, their are lingering problems beyond the anticipated time frame.
    2. Assure us on some way that tracking is indeed occurring. My confidence here is pretty shaky right now.
    3. Keep CJ and BF separate until you can provide a platform or software that can handle it.
    4. Involve affiliates/publishers in upgrades so we can let you know what will work or not. So many times helpful features are removed or altered. Select a group of folks to test out your changes before they go live.
    5. Communicate better on your CJ site (you are doing better, by the way, but will it last?).
    6. Parasite free merchants (I'll let others address this in more detail).
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    what it is going to take to restore our full confidence in them.

A full audit report from a trusted fourth party.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    what it is going to take to restore our full confidence in them.

Probably nothing.

The recent spate of technical problem is the last thing that caused my loss of confidence. My confidence was hopelessly lost when they admitted to actively pushing scumware programs.

Technical problems can be fixed. Moral bankruptcy is much harder overcome.

Wayne

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    My take is this has nothing to do with normal domain bound affiliates and the regular merchnats. It has everything to do with ramping up the back end to accommodate the Dupers (portals, comparision shopping engines,e-mailers) and the "incent" network engine, autofeeding the BHO's.

LOL ..maybe our rants on the simple crap like clicks & sales reporting is minor. Maybe the CJ & BF partnerships with Gator/WhenU/180Solutions and 200 "incent" BHO's require modifications to make sure the thieves are automated in getting their cut of all transactions. Ever think 180Solutions and ebates getting multi-million dollar CJ/BF monthly paychecks are thinking they need some more zero's
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I would like to know why, when they were in the process of "upgrading" I had some of the best days ever on CJ. I had sales come through from merchants that had never converted before. And I wasn't alone based on this Thread.
    Then, things got "back to normal"

I would like an explanation for this!

CDC

ABW Ambassador
    They broke me a little bit back. Back when I was told by a new merchant how heavily they promote scumware to new merchants.

Now why would they do that??? Oh yeah, they get their cut on traffic which would normally be free for the merchant.

They paint a very pretty picture of BHO's to new merchants. The rest of us are just chaff.

They have gone from trusted third party, to promotional vehicle for BHOs. I hope the merchants keep waking up and telling them where they can go. And just as networks woke up and realized they may be liable for the actions of their spammers, they are going to get the same treat with BHOs. I just hope some of them take it on the nose this time.

Chet

Here's 2 cents from one of the pathetic losers on this forum. Don't pull the plug on new starters who don't generate a sale in 6 months. Without any warning, and no way to contact you to find out what is going on.
    It ain't nice.
    Treat us at least like chaff, not like something on the bottom of Charlie's birdcage.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    There are two big issues for me.

The first is technical. I don't need to know what CJ does on a day-to-day basis; I don't work there. But in all my years of working in computer departments I've never encountered anything quite as bad as the technical problems CJ's had lately. I realize that they're probably trying to do something very tricky, merging BeFree and CJ. But parallel processing is one solution to ensure that before anything new goes live it is tested and safe. I find the recent problems puzzling.

Second, their policy on parasites. Granted, these folks are bigger than any one of us ordinary affiliates, but collectively I suspect we're bigger than any one of them. Why would CJ alienate us by not only pursuing relationships with parasites, but also promoting them to merchants? This is also puzzling.

Bottom line...I'm confused. But it seems that things are starting to change outside the big networks in the affiliate world. I'm seeing signs that more and more merchants are realizing how to harness our abilities and market reach, and are tuning their programs to suit our needs. I hope CJ is listening.

Ron,

While reading your post, I got the feeling that I could have typed it. None of this is new to CJ, all of this has been suggested to them time and time again.

It's incredible to me that an organization would roll out upgrades and changes without testing them first. Obviously, CJ does not test the changes they make, or they wouldn't roll them out. This is especially true of changes that affect the financial security of the company and its customers.

As for restoring full confidence, they need to do the right thing for all of their customers, publishers and merchants alike, and make the publishers that have the ability to overwrite cookies behave in an ethical manner, that allows fair competition. Until then, CJ doesn't deserve any confidence from its customers, and won't earn any until it starts operating ethically.

Andy

When you have an endless stream of transcations pouring in, millions of them, non-stop, upgrades are always going to be problematic.

My feeling is it's everything else that is really eating at people.

If folks still had faith in CJ, they would be more forgiving about the reporting issues.

ABW Ambassador
    I think CJ is just fine. And they did not ask for suggestions from us anyways.

Yep,that's their problem. They don't want input from their partners.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    I think CJ is just fine. And they did not ask for suggestions from us anyways.

Why then did they open this forum?

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Why then did they open this forum?

So we can remind Todd to roll his chair off the reporting cable and occasionally give the tracking server a swift kick.

The comments so far are great...keep them coming.

Our voice as affiliates/publishers really does not carry much weight here at ABW I know, but if we keep plugging away, maybe CJ will notice and take some positive action. It is, afterall, my purpose of this tread...to achieve something postive, not nag, nag, nag about all the negatives.

One thing I strongly suggest each of you to do is send an email to your merchants highlighting the comments that are posted here as well as your personal concerns. I have to tell you, about three weeks ago I started a letter writing campaign, sent about 30 emails to various merchants, expressing my frustration and concern regarding CJ's poor performance (this was when it was really bad...could not even log on, etc.). The messages I received back were overwhelming in support of my concerns. Most of the merchants that responded were also unhappy with CJ not just because we were having problems, but because they too were having similar problems from the merchant end. Most of these merchants told me they would either pass on my concerns or had already done so themselves.

I STRONGLY urge you to write your merchants and let them know how you feel about CJ's recent performance. Trust me, if they hear from enough of us they will put the heat on CJ start making changes.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

From both the publisher and advertiser viewpoint, confidence in any of the affiliate networks is lacking to the point I don't think they can be considered a major part of any business plan.

I have a jewelry site I was going to use advertisers as well as sell our instore vintage jewelry on. Because of my tracking concerns with cj as well as linkshare, instead of using advertisers to promote a better variety I will instead increase inventory of new jewelry and also use a dropshipper.

Attempting to use advertisers to cover part of my own ad cost doesn't seem to be a wise option. Given tracking issues I don't want to risk giving my traffic away.

I totaly agree Mike, I can forgive them the outages and down times if they got rid of the scum they seem to prefer to partner with.
    They would have to be honest for a change and tell me the thieving bastards are stealing our commish and they do divert and redirect our links, and they will get rid of them because they are infringing the COC.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

quote:
    Don't pull the plug on new starters who don't generate a sale in 6 months.

Well said Rad, I got booted by a well known UK mobile phone company, I had to email THEM to get an answer as to why I was kicked (pretty obvious...I made no sales) but I wanted the spineless, chinless AM to have the decency to email me and explain it all, instead of just booting me with no explanation....CJ teach your affiliate managers some manners, you never know, in the future I might become a major player in this game...and then I hope Mr o2 (oopps.....I've named them ) will eat his words.

Malc
    Adverts

The moment they pay me the $8,000 they owe me from KBToys sales, my trust will be restored.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Nova must have sent Gordo the wrong pills. He's having dilusions....

"They would have to be honest for a change and tell me the thieving bastards are stealing our commish and they do divert and redirect our links, and they will get rid of them because they are infringing the COC."
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I would like to know why, when they were in the process of "upgrading" I had some of the best days ever on CJ. I had sales come through from merchants that had never converted before. And I wasn't alone based on this Thread.

You also noticed those sales were no mistakes, and were not reversed. You got a glimpse behind the veil, and you will never be the same.

I can't see anything that would restore any level of faith in Commission Junction. Just like I know how an entertainer in Vegas who was bitten by a Tiger will never be the same.

You can work with the Big Cats, and maybe achieve what you consider some degree of success. Remember, they are by nature what you can never change.

dumping their 'featured' parasites would be a start

quote:

What will it take to restore your full confidence in CJ?

The answer is. It can't be done.
    quote:
    Technical problems can be fixed. Moral bankruptcy is much harder overcome.

Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread