I have poor records on my sale.When I test my affiliate website,my system is XP,there is a red mark below my IE browser, I click it, it pops up a microsoft privacy report window which says "based on your private settings,the third party website cookie were restricted or blocked",I checked my cookie setting, it is already set as low level. if microsoft uses this kind of tech to block other site cookies, next time, the users directly visit the third party website , the previous cookies do not exit,how can I get my endeavor? I am so frustrated, could anyone tell me how can I deal with this situation? thanks ahead

Henry,

No doubt the way MS has the browser set up it is hurting sales. What I get on some of my sites is the restricted sites warning that shows up is due mostly to a merchants link on my site. The wierd thing is that the reason the cookies are being blocked is that it says because a privacy policy couldn't be found. However when I go to the merchants site that they are blocking, they do have a privacy policy. So XP is obviously screwed up when it comes to security setting or I am missing something.

An example of merchants showing as being restricted is netmagazines and TigerDirect. Does anyone else have any input on this. I did change my settings to low and it took care of the problem, but most shoppers aren't going to know to do this
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

Just having an HTML privacy policy is not enough to get IE to recognize that a website actually has a privacy policy.

A P3P policy file needs to be created by the website owners to reflect the content of the HTML privacy policy.

IE will look for a P3P policy on the website and then either accept or reject cookies based on the user's privacy settings in IE6 and the content of the privacy policy.

IBM has a not-too-bad free P3P policy editor:
    http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/p3peditor

Good luck!

quote:
    Originally posted by Steven Sauve:
    Just having an HTML privacy policy is not enough to get IE to recognize that a website actually has a privacy policy.

A P3P policy file needs to be created by the website owners to reflect the content of the HTML privacy policy.

IE will look for a P3P policy on the website and then either accept or reject cookies based on the user's privacy settings in IE and the content of the privacy policy.

Good luck!

To me it is simply amazing that ANY sales show up in my CJ account these days. With default restrictions set at the factory for factoring out certain merchants, Norton and other virus/firewall apps being set as default to ad-blocking, parasites, pop up cookie theifs, merchants skimming their affiliates hard earned commissions and... (what else am I missing?) ... It's a wonder that a hard working experienced affilate like myself can even still earn a living. (only still earning a living since steering clear of the networks and concentrating on indies..) I love that XP feature that allows you to set your computer to an earlier time and date.... I wish that I could do that with the whole affiliate marketing/ parasite infestation/ Google domination.... thing. If I had a choice, I would go back to that time when AltaVista was neck and neck with Infoseek for the top search engine spot. And your site would be revisited about every day and updated about every 2 days.... just me I guess.. ??

Steve, Thanks! Maybe some of the merchants who aren't compliant will read this thread.

quote:

IE will look for a P3P policy on the website and then either accept or reject cookies based on the user's privacy settings in IE and the content of the privacy policy.

Easy, I agree with all the things leaning against us it is surprising to see any transactions at all, not from just CJ but all of the programs. Unfortunately I see it getting worse before it gets better
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

Well... since packy said it already.....

COINCIDENCE ME TOO WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!!!!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Here is a P3P Validator you can use to check your merchant's sites. Even if they have P3P if the syntax is wrong sometimes it is not properly read and cookies can still be blocked.

http://www.w3.org/P3P/validator.html

If you need to educate a merchant about how to get in compliance this is also the place.
    http://www.w3.org/P3P

I am just having my team double check all of our merchants and making it a requirement for any new merchants we add. Thanks for the heads up and this reminder that P3P compliance is just one more cookie monster we have to look out for.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread