The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Hi Everyone,

Got an email from CJ:

"Hello Billy,
    I've been asked to gather a little bit of information from some of our more active publishers and wanted to see if you would be willing to take the time to answer a few questions."

Most I can answer on my own, but question 3 (see below) I was gonna tell them to log into ABW and implement everything from every post! OK, too much work!

So I'll ask you people to respond in case I forgot something important.

Let's be PROFESSIONAL! They're ASKING for our opinion, which is more along the lines of a "partnership relationship", rather than an "us vs them" relationship.

----------------

"3.) What topics (anything you can think of) do you feel would be beneficial to offer to advertisers?"

ABW Ambassador
    ""3.) What topics (anything you can think of) do you feel would be beneficial to offer to advertisers?"

How to implement an affiliate friendly 800 toll free number!!

Top priority: Find a way to deal with the Norton thing.

I emailed their customer service people, and they said they were aware of the situation, but couldn't do anything about it. Their helpful suggestion to me was that I turn off Norton's ad-blocking feature on my computer.

Like that was going to help everybody else visiting my site be able to use the CJ affiliate links on my site.

The problem seems to be at the domain name level. Norton is blocking anything with the www.qkserv.net domain. Even redirects don't help because it's the domain that is the destination that is being filtered out, or not allowed to be clicked to.

quote:

Just what do you expect them to do? Norton perceives CJ as spyware and is ensuring that their customers get what they pay for by getting rid of all CJ content including your links. CJ does not have the power to make Norton mind. Even if CJ makes changes to get around Norton, they will just give their customers an update to block CJ. You want CJ should buy Norton, maybe?

And, for all we know, Norton may be right. I have never felt comfortable with the CJ spider and all their data collecting. Goddess knows what they do with it but you can be sure it isn't being used to get honest affiliates more money.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Norton perceives CJ as spyware

Where did you get this info? CJ does not install any software. Spyware is a piece of software, isn't it? CJ writes cookies which enable CJ to pay us. Norton ad-blocker blocks ads from all major advertising and affiliate networks like Linkshare, Performics, Befree, DoubleClick, ValueClick, CJ and many more. That has nothing to do with spyware. Norton is not spyware detecter. Norton rewrites web pages by removing links from Norton-enable ad networks.

There are many things that can be done...

Some possibilities include working together with Norton via an agreement or whatever, use different terminology not targeted by Norton, changing domains used to serve ads, etc.

It must be possible because other ads or adservers seem to be able to work with Norton on so obviously they are doing something that works. All I'm suggesting is that maybe CJ can look into what these other companies are doing and use that. It's not that hard. It's already being done. All CJ needs to do is try and find a solution.

quote:
    Originally posted by SSanf:
    quote:

Just what do you expect them to do? Norton perceives CJ as spyware and is ensuring that their customers get what they pay for by getting rid of all CJ content including your links. CJ does not have the power to make Norton mind. Even if CJ makes changes to get around Norton, they will just give their customers an update to block CJ. You want CJ should buy Norton, maybe?

And, for all we know, Norton may be right. I have never felt comfortable with the CJ spider and all their data collecting. Goddess knows what they do with it but you can be sure it isn't being used to get honest affiliates more money.

Aluria removes all CJ cookies because they are considered spyware. Spybot Search and Destroy removes all CJ cookies because they are considered spyware. Norton blocks all CJ images and links because they apparently also consider them spyware.

You tell me the cookies which track which sites you have visited aren't spyware.

What's a girl to believe, anyway.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I have a question about this. If all of these programs remove cj cookies what happens to your sale. Does the merchant get the credit when the sale goes through with the affiliate being skipped in the transaction?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by SSanf:
    Norton blocks all CJ images and links because they apparently also consider them spyware.

Norton does not claim they block spyware. Norton blocks ads from all major networks. They do this by domain name, image sizes etc. Cookie is not involved in this. They do not block SAS and other smaller networks because they are small and not in their radar. This is nothing to do with being spyware or not.

quote:

You tell me the cookies which track which sites you have visited aren't spyware.

Yes, cookies tell where you have visited. Other than the cookie, affiliates can be paid. If you do not like cookies, you may need to rethink about doing affiliate marketing. CJ cookies do not have anything more than AID/Merchant ID, PID and timestamp. No personal information as such. CJ is probably the only network which supports P3P privacy standard. Open up a CJ cookie and see for yourself what is in there. Aluria removes (gives option) all cookies, not only CJ. Aluria is not Norton. A very few people even heard about them. I personally do not see them as a threat to affiliate marketing. (Ironically Aluria has/had an affiliate program)

quote:
    if you don't like my posts, to bad
    LOL!
    quote:
    If you do not like cookies, you may need to rethink about doing affiliate marketing
    Me, I love cookies. Pass the milk.

The subject was why doesn't CJ do something about Norton.

Because they can't that's why. I am certain Norton told CJ to go to and get bent. Otherwise, we would have seen changes. CJ wouldn't have taken this kind of a loss if they had any power in the situation what-so-ever. They must have lost a ton due to Norton by now.

I know it is a shock to some but CJ is no kind of a deity.

Norton? CJ and any other networks effected just haves to suck it up. So do the affiliates. Life ain't fair or just.
    quote:
    I have a question about this. If all of these programs remove cj cookies what happens to your sale. Does the merchant get the credit when the sale goes through with the affiliate being skipped in the transaction?
    The merchant gets a free sale if the program has been run and your cookies removed prior to the sale. You and the networks are out of the loop. Fortunately, I believe unless there is a problem, most people forget to use the programs or get lazy about running them soon after the novelty wears off.

This is not a problem with Norton because in addition to your banners and images not showing, as I understand it, your links don't work either. Your page looks and works like sh!t and people just click away thinking it is an old abandoned or poorly made site.

Hopefully, none of your friends use Norton and think that what they see is the quality of your work because it sure is embarrassing trying to explain.

ABW Ambassador
    I would suggest:

That they also do something about Kazza. They have been promising a fix for that for a long time (six months? a year?) and as far as I know that's still not fixed.

That they offer good information on parasiteware instead of promoting those programs to advertisers but I'm betting that won't happen.

That they provide information to the advertisers as to the importance of approving affiliates in a timely manner and responding to emails.

That they provide information to the advertisers on what affiliates are looking for in a program (ie., no leaks, no straight 800 numbers, etc.)

That they have some type of mentoring program and entice successful AM's to mentor new AM's about what affiliates want and expect.

That they provide a streamlined system for data feeds so even advertisers who aren't technical can provide one.

Kip

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread