I just noticed that eBay has new terms to be accepted, and I found this little gem in the new terms:

"You are not permitted to use affiliate links to promote your own eBay listings or eBay Store."

Hmm. I don't know if this is a new term or if this has always been the case, but I'm a little disappointed because I had been using the eBay editor kit to put a link to a dynamic list of items that I'm selling directly on the front page of my site.

I'm not sure why they need this rule. If I have a website that gets 15,000 unique visitors per day, and I'm selling items directly related to that website, isn't it in their best interests that those items get promoted as much as possible? Isn't it a "win-win" situation if those items wind up selling for 2x what they would sell for unpromoted?

And how strict is this? If I decide to sell an item that might come up via an affiliate link, an I breaking the rules? For example, when a user searches for a hockey card of a player on my site, I show them an eBay box of all cards on eBay for that player. If I happen to be selling a card set containing that player and the set comes up, am I violating the rules?

I will abide by their rules, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a non-affiliate way to use the editor kit? I love the idea that I can dynamically change the items I promote on the front page of my site, and I suspect it gets me higher winning bids. I suppose in theory I could just "break" my affiliate ID so that no one gets paid commission on my main promotion link, or I suppose I could even list the items for sale under my wife's account (which would technically be legal).

But overall, I don't see the rationale behind this particular decision. I suppose it's because of people who were using their own eBay auction pages to get commissions on other eBay auctions they were running, but I think the way I'm doing it is perfectly within the spirit of the program, and I don't even understand why they would put a "show auctions for this user" option in the editor kit if they didn't want to promote this practice.

Ralph

Ralph,

I couldn't swear to it in a court of law, but I believe this is nothing new. I seem to remember that being part of the old terms, as well.

The reason I say that is because I was considering doing what you are at one point, and I remember thinking it was against the TOS, so I'm pretty sure this is not a new stipulation.

Andy

I'm not so sure. Here's the terms as shown in my Pending Replacement terms list (I haven't accepted the new terms yet). Sorry, I couldn't post a link because it's all behind my account:

By participating in eBay’s Affiliate internet marketing program through Commission Junction, Inc. (the Program), You agree with the supplemental Program terms and conditions set forth below, established by eBay Inc. (eBay). Capitalized terms used but not defined below have the same meanings as set forth in the Commission Junction Publisher Service Agreement. These supplemental terms are in addition to the terms of the Publisher Services Agreement, and, in the event of a direct conflict between the two, these supplemental terms will control.

In consideration of participating in the Program, You agree to the following terms:

1) Spam.
    Under no circumstances shall You send commercial electronic mail messages as defined in the new Federal spam law, the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 [the Act], with respect to eBay's Program. For clarification, this does not prohibit You from sending transactional or relationship messages as defined in the Act. eBay reserves the right to collect, withhold, or cancel any and all compensation related to the content You send via commercial electronic mail messages.

2) Tracking Tags.
    The tools, products and creative assets (collectively, Assets) that are provided to You by eBay and/or CJ provide valuable information vital to the success of the Program, including information that helps make sure Transactions generated by You are properly attributed to You for Payout calculations. Thus, each of these Assets must be used in their intended manners as instructed by CJ. You agree that You will not corrupt, modify or disable the tracking functionality provided to You related to the Program.

3) Keywords involving eBay’s trademark eBay and variations thereof.
    You shall not purchase search engine keywords that use eBay’s trademark eBay and/or certain variations thereof. You shall not purchase or register keywords, AdWords, search terms or other identifying terms that include the word EBAY or certain variations thereof for use in any search engine, portal, sponsored advertising service or other search or referral service. Specifically, this policy prohibits You from bidding on:

eBay’s trademark, eBay, and any keyword string that includes this term. For example, eBay auctions, eBaymotors, eBay motors, eBay jewelry, etc.; and

Variations of eBay’s trademark: for example e-bay, ebay.com, www.ebay.com, e-bay, e bay, www.ebay, ww.ebay.com, e-bay.com, www,ebay.com, e.bay, wwwebay.com, ebya, etc.

If eBay determines, in its sole discretion, that You have purchased or attempted to purchase eBay or one of the two cited examples above, then eBay may (without limiting any other remedies available to it) pursue any or all of the following actions:

Withhold all compensation otherwise payable to You beginning with the date on which You purchased the prohibited trademarked terms;

Remove You from the eBay affiliate Program permanently; and/or

Contact the search engine in which your ad was found to ask that these ads be removed immediately and permanently.

Ralph

Well, I got a reply back from eBay's tech support:

While the Editor Kit does allow you to pull
    data by seller, as you know the eBay affiliate program no longer
    allowing sellers to drive traffic directly to their listings. As such,
    we do not have any other tools available for you.

I'm going to set the userid on my editor kit to an invalid user, so I can use the editor kit to promote my own auctions, but not be out of compliance with this rule.

Of course, I might still be out of compliance if I'm selling an item that happens to show up in one of the editor kit pages generated dynamically, but I don't see how that could even be enforceable, since it would essentially prohibit someone from running the affiliate program and also selling items releated to their affiliate site.

Ralph

If I remember correctly, affiliate use of the editor kit was never mandatory - it could always be used without any affiliate IDs as a tool for nay site wanting to display ebay content.

ABW Ambassador
    Ralph, if you are making any money now with ebay promoting your auctions. Why not set you mom or someone up on cj, then create the ids in their name?

It will be a perpetual mother's day gift. And if she is retired, watching the nickels appear and disappear will give her something to do to pass the time.

Chet

I thought of this, but I'm not making enough money to justify it. I made perhaps $1-2 last month from the single link I have on the front page of my site.

My motivation was that this was a great way to promote items that I put up for sale from time to time, since I get about 250,000 uniques per month onto my site. It wasn't about the commission. I wish they'd officially release the editor kit as a promotion tool instead of an affiliate tool.

Ralph

Ralph,

You can use the editor kit with out an affiliate provider. Just choose the "Not an affiliate" option.

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EKCreate

Thanks for the tip -- I was misled by the eBay rep who basically said "there's no way to do this".

Ralph

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Ralph,

Just put my affiliate ID in there. :^)

I was told as long as you include items from at least one other userid, you are in compliance.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread