ABW Ambassador
    I went to linkshare homepage and I saw...

"LinkShare pioneered online affiliate marketing, and today runs the largest pay for performance affiliate marketing network on the Internet"

I thought it was CJ (and CJ/Befree later) the largest, anyone knows how are they measuring size?
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Maybe they started believing all the e mail spams about "increase your size" and are now the largest????

ABW Ambassador
    For many years BeFree called itself a software service provider and avoided the term "affiliate network" like the plague. If CJ and BeFree are merging, then perhaps they intend to carry this anti "affilite marketing" idiocy into the co branded product.

From what I've gathered through the years, there are some at BeFree who despise affiliates with every fiber of the being. I hope that culture does not win out in the merged company.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    From what I've gathered through the years, there are some at BeFree who despise affiliates with every fiber of the being. I hope that culture does not win out in the merged company.

quote:
    From what I've gathered through the years, there are some at BeFree who despise affiliates with every fiber of the being.
    Very strongly worded statement that is absolutely not true. The newly merged organizations are now even more focused on publishers. We now have a publisher development team of over 10 people working directly with top performing and up and coming publishers to help them drive more results.

Commission Junction realizes that affiliate marketing has two sides - the advertisers and the publisher. We focus on both sides of the equation.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

ABW Ambassador
    and which side do the parasites get lumped in with

OOPS, going back to my mode

ABW Ambassador
    Todd,

I was referring to the BeFree side of things. CJ has never had this attitude problem. When BeFree first came out on the market, they threw a great deal of effort into denying that they were an affiliate network. They adamantly stated that they were a software and service provider...effectively washing their hands of the affiliates.

CJ did not hold this attitude. CJ created a program that was more of a partnership. As a result, CJ provided performics metrics and other tools to help affiliates get the best results from their efforts.

You might remember that, once upon a time, BeFree had the lion share of the affiliate market. They created a one sided system. CJ created a more balanced system and quickly won the market share.

Unfortunately, CJ and LS were responsible corporate citizens and did not have premature IPOs. As VCLK and BFRE issued IPOs in the top of the dot com boom, they got the capital to buy out CJ.

The market value of VCLK/BFRE is still only a fraction of the amount of cash invested in the company.

If you hold that CJ is an affiliate network, then you are right on. You realize that affiliates and merchants play important roles in the equation. I hope the combined company never falls back into the contemptuous attitude that they are only a software provider--Affiliates be damned.

For that matter, I hope the cobranding gets rid of the mistake BeFree made several years ago.

If anyone at VCLK holds that affiliates are trailer trash...then they deserve harsh words (and pink slips of paper). Those who accept that affiliates are merchants are important people in a partnership deserve praise.

ABW Ambassador
    Todd, I Thought you were going to state the bigger CJ size with at least fact...

CJ or LS, one is bigger and the other just took a pill to increase size and say they are the biggest...?
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

Holy shoot!!!! Todd
    quote:
    We now have a publisher development team of over 10 people working directly with top performing and up and coming publishers to help them drive more results.

Not more friggin preferences for the parasites. Todd why don't you try working with your regular law abiding affiliates (and your COC abiding affiliates incidently) for a change and give the scummy parasites the side of your boot they deserve?
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

yintercept -

I agree that in the past Be Free was seen more as a technology provider and less as a network. I have been in enough meetings with our people in Marlborough and Santa Barbara to know that all of us value publishers and are committed to providing them the tools and services to make them more successful.

Fer -

CJ is bigger (IMO). It depends on how you measure things though. If LS has 1 million affiliates, then they are bigger than CJ. If you look at reach and revenues, I would say CJ is far larger. In the end, anybody can say whatever they want, but until there are public numbers from both companies, it will be difficult to dispute either side's statements.

Gordon -

We work with a lot of publishers and do not have preferences for parasitic ones. This is a common misconception that is not true.
    Todd Crawford

Yep, sure sounds like they hired 10 people to help the parasites "do" us over since regular "publishers" sure aren't who they are refering to when they say "top performing and up and coming publishers".

"Do" you And CJ, Todd!!!!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

quote:
    Yep, sure sounds like they hired 10 people to help the parasites "do" us over since regular "publishers" sure aren't who they are refering to when they say "top performing and up and coming publishers".
    You are wrong. I think you are acting irrationally. You have stated numerous times that you dislike me and CJ. I think it is time for you find other places to post. Please stop distorting the truth and creating conspiracy stories.
    Todd Crawford

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Gordon and Ssanf, I can personally attest to the fact that regular affiliates ("regular" meaning, not parasites) DO get preferential treatment when they are top performers for certain merchants.

When I got into the top 20 at one of my merchants recently, sure enough, someone from CJ emailed me an exclusive offer to help me drive even more sales. And, I was able to email back with my questions instead of using AAQ. I could have called as well if I wanted to.

I got on the radar *without* using any software, auto-cookies, redirect junk, etc.

I think the lack of people posting that they get any contact from that CJ department is mainly because, by definition, there aren't that many top performers. NOT because of any need to be a parasite. Now I can say from experience--there is NO NEED to be a parasite to be in the top 20!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread