Quite by accident, I recently misspelled a merchant's name, ie I had "www.abcdeg.com" instead of "www.abcdefg.com". I had noticed the typo and corrected, but when I was checking my site logs, I was seeing activity though google for the mispelled term "www.abcdeg.com". I searched google for the term and #1 in the rankings was my page with the mispelled name/url. Checking my sales that merchant, there was a noticeable boost in sales for this merchant that corresponded with the update of the google index.
    As soon as I realized that my typo was resulting in increased sales, I went back and changed it back to the mispelled version.

My theory of why it has worked so well is:
    1) the person already knows what site they want to buy from and are just trying to find it.
    2) They find my site and click on my link which sets my cookie and directs them to the site they were looking for in the first place.

I wonder how many other mispelled names I can come up with to generate additional sales? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    yeah, sometimes a typo will really pay off, especially when you have it both correctly and incorrectly on the page.

some of my ones were
    premier/ premeir
    affiliate / affilliate

and my worst one was "New Tork Times", which was how I had it in the title.
    have a look at some of these for the most commonly misspelled words

http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/spell/error.html

http://www.sentex.net/~mmcadams/spelling.html - Do this test... I missed 22...& I thought I was a good speller!
    http://www.google.com/search?q=most+common+mis-spelt+wor ds even suggested "Do you mean: most common misspelled words?"

crap.. back to schoool.. back to schoool

I have to misspell colour, jewellery and centre to pick up US traffic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I used to wonder why anyone would perform a
    "search" for a site they want to visit and knew the URL for , until ...

I was over at a friends house one day, and she wanted me to teach her how to get around the internet , how to go to websites ???

Duh... I told her to type in the URL, and go there . She said she can't . The dummies disabled the address bar on their computer, and not only did they not know how to fix it,but they thought it was supposed to be that way , so every time they wanted to go anywhere, they would "search" for the name .

They were using a FREE ISP( NET ZERO) at the time .

Believe it or not , this was a somewhat educated young couple, and both of them attended college , yet they traveled the web this way for months !

Anyway, this leads me to believe that where there is one, there are many others like that out there, and the ones that can't spell, are like gold when you get them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Every time I notice myself making the same typo more than once, I write it down , and ponder how I can use it .

Most recent typo "finds" for the Holiday Season :
    gamebot advance , Platstation2

Any of you that have the time, feel free to test them out !

Lisa

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: Lisa ]

If you knew how many ppl came to my sites by typing the url into the search box at goto.com (Oversure) you'd be amazed .... I know I was!

And I prefer Xobx and Bxox myself [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Haiko

out of interest, were they using aol?

Yeah - it has always amazed me that people type the url in a search box of a search engine. I always have my own urls showing up as the search engine words used to find me, but never really thought about mispelling a merchants name on purpose.

I do, however, have mispelled words I bid on in overture.

I guess now I need to look at trying to include a common mispelling of the url in my text too. Sometimes being a bad spellar [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] can pay off!

spiderman,
    My logs show the traffic for this url/term comming from google. What's funny, is the "correct" site doesn't even show up in google with this mispelling. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

If I registered the mispelled url, how long do you think it would be before I got in trouble?

quote:
    Originally posted by Spiderman:
    out of interest, were they using aol?

Nope ..... and that is the scarry part :eek:

Haiko

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread