Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I built a new website this past week.

I am able to see what links were clicked on on my site.

Out of curiosity I counted up how many click throughs my site is reporting to CJ merchants. My total is 30. (note I have tested this program app inside and out and the click report on my site is always on the nose)

I went to CJ and I looked to see how many clicks throughs they are reporting for this site and it is only 11.

I would like to know what happened to the other 19 clicks?

Also, if these clicks are not being counted, are sale being counted? I don't see how if it never shows a link was clicked on.

Anyone else do similar testing? If so, what were your results?
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

michelle, I'm with you, I always have had a tracking issue with cj. but there's not that much we affiliates can do except either drop them or only use merchants that we trust and have a relationship here.

Michelle I am with you on this one as well. I am convinced that CJ is not tracking correctly, particularly the past two weeks or so. I have an excellent stats tracker that follows my visitors' movements right through to the exact banner or text link they have clicked on. The clickthroughs recorded by CJ do not even remotely reflect the actual number of clicks received. If clicks are not being recorded then one can only assume that sales are not registering either. Something is just not right.

quote:
    Originally posted by Grumpy:
    Michelle I am with you on this one as well. I am convinced that CJ is not tracking correctly, particularly the past two weeks or so. I have an excellent stats tracker that follows my visitors' movements right through to the exact banner or text link they have clicked on. The clickthroughs recorded by CJ do not even remotely reflect the actual number of clicks received. If clicks are not being recorded then one can only assume that sales are not registering either. Something is just not right.

This has always what I have been saying about CJ. They have been the worst performing affialiate network for me ever. They do not track clicks well, they do not track impressions right and they definitely do not track sales, correctly. I have pretty much taken them off my sites except a few merchants that I am hoping will be good enough to produce something and change my mind about CJ.
    mainreviewer
    www.discountshoppingnews.com
    www.allprowebdesigns.com
    www.savecashshopping.com
    www.advantagesaver.com
    www.stediwattsales.com
    www.aplusenergy.com

So I am not alone in this. I suspected that.

Anytime someone posts a question about CJ that contains negativity, usually a small handful pop up and claim 'sales are spectacular here, no problem'. I think they don't realize that even if they are getting some good sales coming through, they are obviously not getting credit for ALL the sales they should be.

Heck, I don't care if I made 2,000 in commission if it was really supposed to be 2,800 and it wasn't cause CJ's tracking is screwed up. (oh buy wait, thought I read where there is nothing wrong with their tracking, it must be the merchant playing with the code after CJ sets them that causes the problems... yeah.. ... ok. But if that were the case, isn't CJ failing the merchants then too? They should be checking and double checking constantly that all things are running correctly. The merchants pay enough that that should be a given.)

It needs to track perfectly from click-through to exit or sale 99.9% of the time. Based on my test, it isn't tracking correctly from the beginning even 50% of the time. Right out of the gate, your screwed more than half the time. Gee, if you are gonna do that, at least kiss me first.
    ~Michelle

There will always be discrepancies between two different tracking solutions. If you are using a program on your site to track clicks, it will most likely never synch up with a third party's reporting.

Here's why: I click on one of your links and then hit the "back" button, click on "stop" or close the browser. If this occurs prior to the third party link redirecting to the advertiser site, the click is never counted and does not show up in reporting, yet your tool may still count it. This is why you will typically see more clicks with your tool and fewer via third party reporting.

Take a moment and methodically click on several of your links on a test page (so you are the only one clicking on these links. You might want to create a new website (PID) so the reporting aill only show these clicks. Make sure all the links take you to the destination page. In this case, you should get 100% correlation between your tool and our reporting.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

ABW Ambassador
    "You might want to create a new website (PID) so the reporting aill only show these clicks."

Todd are we allowed to create a new site and just call it Newsletter? I have newsletters for my sites and it would be easier for me to get links under Newsletter so i can see in my reports how its doing. Meaning i could click under Web site Setting - Add A New Website. Then under Site Name type in AlreadyExistingSite.com Newsletter then fill in the rest. I know about all the other stuff, but this would be easier. Would really help be gauge the effectiveness of my newsletters. Thanks

quote:
    Todd are we allowed to create a new site and just call it Newsletter? I have newsletters for my sites and it would be easier for me to get links under Newsletter so i can see in my reports how its doing.
    Yes. Great idea. You could also add the word "newsletter" in the SID and track it that way. The only down side would be you could see impressions and clicks like you can with a separate PID.
    Todd Crawford

ABW Ambassador
    Cool, thanks. Will give it a try next few days.

Todd:

quote:
    Here's why: I click on one of your links and then hit the "back" button, click on "stop" or close the browser. If this occurs prior to the third party link redirecting to the advertiser site, the click is never counted and does not show up in reporting, yet your tool may still count it. This is why you will typically see more clicks with your tool and fewer via third party reporting.

Todd I understand what you are saying, but what I am talking about is actual clickthroughs to the merchant's site (not just page views). I use a stats program called "Opentracker" that shows you to the last-minute click where the visitor has gone. Not only does it show the pages viewed during the session but it also indicates the exact product banner or text link the visitor has clicked on and the amount of time spent on the merchant's site. In fact the tracker only starts registering the visitor as "very interested" after he/she has been on the site for at least 10 minutes. I can sit down and count exactly how many clickthroughs to a merchants site I have, and this never seems to tally with what is shown on CJ.

Don't get me wrong... I regard CJ as the best out of all the other networks, even though sometimes I get frustrated when reporting is down or hours late. I just have a gut feeling that not all sales are being tracked 100% of the time.

Affiliates who are earning big dollars probably wouldn't even notice that the occasional sale does not make it through, but for people like myself and probably many others, every single sale is important and I agree with Michelle that tracking should be 99.9% (if not 100%) accurate.

If the problem does not lie with CJ but rather with the merchants, then they should be monitored closely at all times to make sure that there is no funny business going on.

And FINALLY!.. enjoy your holiday and don't do anything I wouldn't do (doesn't leave you much scope)

I am with Grumpy on this.

Even looking at it statistically, I can not believe that 19 out of 30 people would click on a link, that is well defined, carries a description of where you are going and why, then hit stop, or not let it load before it can be counted.

I have tested each and every link before the site was live, they all go where they are supposed to with no error other than they do not all track. It is hit or miss.

Here is an example of one of the stats. Irvs had 4 click-throughs on my site, CJ reporting says there was 1 click-through for them. So, 3 out of 4 people clicked, x'd out, hit stop or back before the page loaded? I find that very very hard to believe.

If CJ is absolutely postive things are golden on your end, then it is time you start cleaning house with your merchants and get their systems in order so they track properly.
    ~Michelle

My SO has a webpage that gets 100% of the traffic from PPCSE.

The page is designed to get Adsense clicks and he uses 2 CJ merchants as options and as a tracking of impressions deal. Sort of a tracking check to compare with the tracking stats we get from our 2 tracking programs.

The CJ tracking for impressions has always been OFF by as much as 10% since day one, with an average of say 5%. This descrepancy is a server thing and happens pretty much everywhere.

However, since October or thereabouts, the discrepanciers have been as much as 75% but average around 50%.

For example: The PPCSE shows 20 clickthrus. CJ shows 10 and sometimes 5 in impressions.

Is this a Norton factor or simply the adware stealers? Who knows.

Now this really is no big deal, since we know we wont get a sale, but are using the merchant as a carrot for the Adsense bot.

On the otherhand, the same thing happens when you send people from PPCSE direct to the merchants page. About 50% of the cookies never get registered.

Living with 5% discrepancies is ok. 50%, however, means our earnings from CJ merhcants is OFF 50% and more, especially in the last 3 months.

Yet Adsense and SAS earnigns are up in the same time period.

Go figure.

Just an update on the new site. Numbers aren't big of course since it hasn't been indexed yet. It is getting some trickle down traffic from my other sites.

Checked the stats comparison yesterday. My count of clicks to CJ merchants 42. CJ's count says 12. So according to the CJ, only 1 in 12 people actually let the merchants page load.
    ~Michelle

Michelle.

I suggest you test your own links as I detailed above. I do not think it is physically possible for us to not track a click if the user clicks on a link and is redirected to the advertiser detail page. Since we are doing the redirection - i.e. the user has to go through qksrv.net to get to the advertiser's site, a click must take place.

We count every click. It could be that the software you are using is not working correctly or is counting clicks more than once.
    Todd Crawford

No comment! There is no point in adding anything further as we just keep on banging our heads against a blank wall. I guess we should be happy with the clicks we DO get and just shut up.

Incidentally Michelle, don't know about you but for some reason today I'm showing DOUBLE the amount of clicks than what I should have. What's with that??!! Todd have you been clicking on my links?

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread