I couldn't find in lurking, a discussion about site terms and use policies for publishers and advertiser/affiliate relationships. Consumer info type. I've started going back thru all my agreements and I'm confused at times in this area.

I belong to several Affiliate Network and Independent Merchant programs that offer affiliate/association relationships.

This morning I was watching my favorite news program with coffee and saw interview about the Apprentice show, during the interview was the CEO of shopping.com. So I decided to check it out, Big free Internet shopping advertising!

This site offers compare shopping using some of the affiliate programs I use, but it looks like it offers a Merchant Program, not an affiliate shopping relationship site.

Also when I typed in shopping.com, it redirected. This is what it says for why are these stores listed. "The Shopping.com Merchant Network program uses a performance-based model in which stores bid for enhanced placement..."

Nowhere could I find where they say they are an affiliate of the Merchants, which would pay them, instead of him paying the merchant, it seems. At least that's how the site looks to me.

Is this ethical? Is this considered to be a "parasite" Merchant affiliate type of relationship? Is Footsmart, ie, as an example a CJ Merchant.

I find it confusing trying to understand the double standard. Appreciate any insight.

Shopping.com works on a CPC basis. Merchants pay a per-click fee to be listed. It's an advertising relationship, not an affiliate relationship.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I think it is just the special deal between shopping.com and the merchants who have upped the ante to appear there. Apparently the merchants feel it is worth it.

I don't think it has anything to do with the likes of us unless one of us becomes another shopping.com.

if you want to become an associate of shopping.com, go here ... http://www.dealtime.com/xCPT-associate_offline

Ok, add to my confusion...

It appears they have an affiliate program, under construction or revamping it, one page said, it's unavailable at this time to join, another explained the agreement, thru Dealtime.

Suppose I should be asking them rather than here, but here goes..

I belong to many of the Merchants in his layout as well thru CJ and Independents..They bid for enhanced placement. If they where to approve another shopping site as an affiliate, I'd make a share of their commish as well as the ones from my site, right...

Sounds better than have a search engine search box, that pays nothing or google ads. (Does anybody really make enough to pay the submittal fees from them anyway)

If you are a shopping site wouldn't it be logicall to link to shopping.com rather than MSN or Google or Yahoo shopping pages? (do these type of links help in ranking?)

Question MichaelColey?

I toured your sig site link. You really confused me more as well. You also offer an affilate program to your site, but you also use the same Merchants or Affiliates as I do. I use them as an Affiliates.

Perhaps you can answer my question. Where do you explain that your shopping is provided by trackable adware links with assoications with the Merchants you display? I seen your page explaining why a person might come up with an empty page at your site, but I couldn't find anywhere you say for instance that your shopping is provided in association with Amazon, per their Affiliate program agreement.

Many of my affiliate agreements might say something like, I can't display their ad or affilate link with a competitor or like store on the same page or require dimensions etc...

Many of the SE won't index an affilate page without at the top of the page your affilate relationship words.

If I applied to your affiliate program, do you pay for the commish earned thru CJ merchants to your affilate program?

Wouldn't it behove a shopping site to have links to other shopping sites for link page ranking?

There's tons of merchants on Networks and Indys to promote that enough to make you very very busy!

MHO - Is stay away from affiliates that promoting the merchants for you to promote that you can promote for yourself from the Networks or indys!

NOTE: This is just my opinion!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread