I'm pretty sure the real player is a spyware app. What are the implications for promoting Real Rhapsody or Real Arcade? I haven't tried them yet because I am opposed to promoting spyware players. Has anyone done any objective cost-benefit analysis on promoting an advertiser that employs spyware?

I wouldn't promote one because I detest the practice which I feel is tantamount to online theft.

I also saw that Consumer Guide is a new CJ advertiser. Is the Consumer Guide toolbar also spyware?

Wish we could all do something together to promote some tough, new anti-spyware legislation.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm pretty sure the real player is a spyware app.

I'm interested in hearing on what evidence you base this statement. I've seen crap like Gator advertised on it and got a nasty parasite from Speed Blaster/TotalVelocity Memory Meter from some ad I tried to close.

I've never seen or heard any evidence that Real Player itself is spyware. What have you got?

Actually, I have no hard evidence that Realplayer is a spyware app. Hopefully this is only from reading what are likely erroneous search results.

Opposite the Slough of Despond
    It's full of crap, and the older versions definitely had nasties in it that get installed no matter what.

I don't think there's currently any spyware (although I'm pretty certain that they have collected personal information in the past) but it tries to install so much unwanted stuff that it's a real (hahah) hazard. I never use it now.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread