The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I have a merchant that I get a LOT of targeted hits, but no sales.

So far today,
    558 clickthrus
    1 sale
    commission $1.62

paraphrasing the credo of ABW, I'm ready to switch out this merchant with a similar one who hopefully will convert better.

But if 558 people are coming to my site after searching for K-Mart (not the real store), how do I tactfully send them to Wal-Mart instead (again, not the real example)

http and a telephoto
    I don't use merchant actual names much on my sites. People come searching for products and manufacturers and they get what I have, whether it is K Mart or WalMart or Sam's Club.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

quote:
    Originally posted by loxly:
    I don't use merchant actual names much on my sites. People come searching for products and manufacturers and they get what I have, whether it is K Mart or WalMart or Sam's Club.

Sounds like a cool idea !

I do not think that many people will mind if they are going to your site after a certain item or piece of merchandise. If they are going shopping for a certain store I think letting them in on deals wherever they will probably shop anyway with you. That is unless it is also a brick and mortar and they saw it in the store already.
    mainreviewer
    www.discountshoppingnews.com
    www.allprowebdesigns.com
    www.savecashshopping.com
    www.advantagesaver.com
    www.stediwattsales.com
    www.aplusenergy.com

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    But if 558 people are coming to my site after searching for K-Mart (not the real store), how do I tactfully send them to Wal-Mart instead (again, not the real example)

I'm serious when I tell you this ...

Sign up for Google Adsense and put it on those pages. You will in effect be sending those visitors to the merchant's competition (and get paid for it )

Now without the "tactfully" part whatsoever, leave the links as though they will go to the rip-off merchant, but the actual link goes to their competition.

http and a telephoto
    How do you know they are coming looking for a specific merchant? Why aren't they coming looking for specific products?

And 558 clicks and one sale means they didn't like what they saw at KMart anyway....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Mainreviewer: "I do not think that many people will mind if they are going to your site after a certain item or piece of merchandise."

It's a Store Directory Site. We don't sell products - just list stores.

"If they are going shopping for a certain store I think letting them in on deals wherever they will probably shop anyway with you."

People do a search for "K-Mart", go to my site and IMMEDIATELY click thru to "K-Mart" - and according to our sales logs, never buy anything! Frustrating as hec!

kelly626: I signed up for Google Adsense, but their TOS says you can't place a competitor's ad on the page... so don't know if that's the cure.

loxly: "How do you know they are coming looking for a specific merchant? Why aren't they coming looking for specific products?"

The phrases people use to find us are in our referrer log reports - and they are always KMart, KMart Coupon, sale at KMart, etc. (again, we have no products)

So far, I've added "People who visited this site also visited (Competitor's Link)" in a "tactful way", but still not enough.

"And 558 clicks and one sale means they didn't like what they saw at KMart anyway...."

That's what is so frustrating! The customer SEARCHED for KMart. I SENT them to KMart. Yet they didn't buy anything!

PS: Don't know why no one at ABW ever mentions the specific merchant, but it's actually an auto parts store. Maybe all these people are just doing research instead of actually intending to purchase something.

quote:
    I signed up for Google Adsense, but their TOS says you can't place a competitor's ad on the page... so don't know if that's the cure.

as long as you're not showing ads from another content-oriented place like Adsense, you're OK.

ordinary links are OK but their TOS has been changed to show they want some content too.

Herb:
    as long as you're not showing ads from another content-oriented place like Adsense, you're OK.

ordinary links are OK but their TOS has been changed to show they want some content too.

I feel that google is only looking for content on the pages to be effective because otherwise the traffic is not able to be as channeled to the prodicts sold on that page, section or site.

It can be good for your site on those specific pages only if you have people are also looking for products or service to buy like you say Bill Kay. I also have found though that offering product specific links can help with yur conversion ratios.

Or Not! Again depends on the merchant, if they are duds its hard to ever convert on that without drawing constomers somewhere else.
    mainreviewer
    www.discountshoppingnews.com
    www.allprowebdesigns.com
    www.savecashshopping.com
    www.advantagesaver.com
    www.stediwattsales.com
    www.aplusenergy.com

Thanks Mainreviewer (et al)

I'm working all ends:

The pages that aren't getting hits, I SEO tweaked. If hits don't improve, I'll be removing those merchants.

The pages that are getting lots of hits but few sales, I'm tweaking by

1) this example of tactfully sending the visitors to a different merchant and...

2. datafeeds. Just finished several merchant feeds and instead of clicking from my site straight thru to KMart (I think that was the original phoney example I used), they now click to 30,000 pages of everything they sell, but on MY site.

we'll see...

to mainreviewer, kelly626 and herb...

thanks mucho for the adsense tip. i owe you one! Here's what I did - it works for me if anyone else wants to try.

1. Kept the page for "K-Mart" which was getting tons of hits but no conversions.

2. But changed all the links so instead of going directly to K-Mart's site, they went to my "page 2" for K-Mart which simply said "You don't appear to be a registered visitor. All sales, coupons etc mentioned herin are only for registered visitors". Then put a formmail asking their name and email.

3. On this same page I put an adsense banner. So they had two choices: either give me your info and do the extra work before you go to K-Mart - and don't buy anything - or click a google ad and at least I'll get something for designing this page!!

Half the people click google and I'm making about $14 a day off this one page!!

The other half enter their information and are then taken back to page 1 - this time the links go to K-Mart which opens in a new window. (there are 2 open windows - K-Mart's site, and in case they don't find what they want, the page with google is still open)

Plus I'm getting over 1000 email address w/ names a day focused on one thing - which I'm sure I can use in the future for one hec of a focused email!

PLUS, they're comparing K-Mart with the google ads and actually BUYING from K-Mart!! How much? I originally posted this 'cause they were always my worst performer. As of yesterday, they are my TOP CJ performer!!

Internet Cowboy
    I look at merchants as employees. Some will do an outstanding job, some will do a poor job, most will be between the two ends.
    Hopefully, at the end of the day the average will be an acceptable result.
    I have many merchants who convert poorly, but the bottom line is that once those pages are done, they are out there and don't cost me any more time, money or effort, so why delete them? I'll take a little bit of something over all of nothing any day.
    Just put up links from others who you hope will convert better and leave the others out there, unless they are parasite supporters, then drop them like a rock.
    Adsense is a fine idea for those pages that contain merchants who don't convert. That is the only place I use Adsense.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread