Obviously I am new to this.... Am I allowed to buy stuff from my own web site and using my own links to get a discount or is this against the policy of the merchants? I am thinking about buying a diamond in the next month at it would be nice to get a quick 5-10% off.

Thanks
    Uncle J

ABW Ambassador
    Each merchant is different. I like to ask the AM if I can't find out easily.

I agree with Sid (squiggie) Ask the merchant. each one is different.

Thanks,

Anyone know if Mondera allows it? If nobody knows, Ill ask them.

ABW Ambassador
    Mondera....Yes.

SWEET

That will save me some serious cash!!!!! Perhaps I should get a bigger stone for my girl.. or spend it on myself

self
    Adverts

I don't/wouldn't even bother asking. I figure I have the right to test my links and make sure the customer has a good buying experience without the merchant knowing it first.

Internet Cowboy
    I have bought lots of items from my web sites. I can't imagine that a merchant would have a problem with it. If they did, I would see that as them not wanting me to be able to check the legitimacy of hteir reporting.
    So far so good.
    Can anyone name someone who actually forbids this?
    ScoHaz

Amazon does not like it if you buy through your own links -- or didn't -- not sure what the current policy is.

I like your sig quote gettnthar

ABW Ambassador
    I've occasionally bought stuff through my own links for other people (for example elderly people who don't feel comfortable with online purchases). It also seems to me like a good way to handle suppliers for projects. For example, when setting up a network for some one, they buy the computer online, I get the commission for making the sale.

Of course, the opinion of the merchant trumps my opinion. Most want to avoid having their affiliate programs turn into a rebate mechanism.

I was in a small coffee shop / bookstore in a small town. A person came up to the clerk, ordered a book. The clerk click on an affiliate link they had to Amazon and ordered the book. They charged the Amazon order total to the customer. I thought that was a 100% legitimate transaction.

quote:
    I am thinking about buying a diamond in the next month

As for Mondera...err, uh, they absolutely, completely, totally and irrevocably forbid use of your own link...wanna us mine?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    With the exception of Amazon, I buy frequently through my own links. I used to ask merchants if it was acceptable to purchase through one's own links but after I was told "of course" for the tenth time I didn't bother to ask anymore.

Why should it make a difference to the merchant who's making the purchase? I could understand it might be an issue if there was a huge commission and a bulk purchase was made, implying the intent to resell in competition with the merchant. But most of the time the commission merely offsets the shipping charges.

Amazon is the only one I affiliate with that forbids buying through your own links. Makes you wonder what they're hiding...

When I want to check my Amazon links, I get a friend or family member who doesn't live with me to make a purchase on my behalf, then I pay them back for it. So far, every Amazon purchase except for one has tracked.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Andy, I always buy thru my Amazon links and every single sale shows up. Just posted in the last few days in the Test Purchase forum that a purchase i made a week ago tracked fine and was delivered quick. Did 90% of my Christmas shopping through Amazon and all if it tracked fine. So you can purchase thru your Amazon links and get credited.

Hi Trust ...

I wanted to check and make sure they still had the no personal purchases policy ... Cause I would like to buy stuff from them too. But:

In Amazon's Operating Agreement under Referral Fees, 3rd paragraph:

"You may not purchase products during sessions initiated through the links on your site for your own use, for resale or commercial use of any kind. This includes orders for customers or on behalf of customers or orders for products to be used by you or your friends, relatives, or associates in any manner. Such purchases may result (in our sole discretion) in the withholding of referral fees and/or the termination of this Agreement. Products that are eligible to earn referral fees under the rules set forth above are referred to as "Qualifying Products."

So with Amazon's use of "sole discretion", buying from your own links could get you canned without being paid!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Andy, I always buy thru my Amazon links and every single sale shows up.

Trust,
    Doing it & being permitted to do it are two different things. They just haven't called you on it yet.

[gettnthar beat me to it. Operating Agreement quote deleted]

Other merchants have similar restrictions. zZounds is one.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think they really care. Most affiliates buy thru their own links. And they track just fine

ABW Ambassador
    i include purchases though my links for many reasons. only one of which is to get the deal. tracking, user experperience.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    This includes orders for customers or on behalf of customers or orders for products to be used by you or your friends, relatives, or associates in any manner.

Damn, I pretty much consider everyone who visit my sites to be customers or friends. Sometimes relatives visit a site (not all that often).

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread