BuyCostumes.com has added on all their main category pages a link in the right hand corner that goes off into HomesInSeason.com!!! While I doubt that it will be a huge drain on folks looking for Santa costumes, it is never the less a move toward draining our traffic from the intended objective: buying at BuyCostumes.com. I am writing immediately to Diana Krohn who has thus far been responsive that this move is not seen in a positive light by affiliates, and why.

This is the text:

Diana,
    This type of link is seen by affiliates as a "leak". I send you traffic to make money for me, frankly. The way I make money is that the traffic I send you buys costumes. If the traffic I send you wants to buy ornaments, trees, decorations,and such, too bad, they need to find another page to do it from, or you need to offer it directly, not as a link out from your site. I've posted on abestweb.com, where most of us have relocated after the discussion boards at CJU, about the links. You have always been responsive, and are new at the affiliate game. This letter is to protest the link to HomeInSeason.com and ask you to remove it, as it poses a problem to your affiliates.
    Thanks,

Very interesting...

One way around it is to redirect your links to a different page like "Festive adult costumes", or use product links. I can't remember right now if they have product links or not as CJ is playing silly burgers again...

Thanks webmistress [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    CatalogCity has some santa costumes if we need an alternative.
    Webmistress,you've got to check out Panache over at performics the best Santa costume, Elf and some great christmas headgear.

This is my first try with perfomics so far,love the way you can grab products like linkshare but...I've emailed them twice last week,as yet haven't heard back, so I can't recommend them , but the Panache costumes are wonderful!

webmistress,

quote:
    I am writing immediately to Diana Krohn who has thus far been responsive that this move is not seen in a positive light by affiliates, and why.

Way to Go! Keep us updated!

Haiko

Hey Fish,
    I do deep link, actually to search results pages [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] which don't have the offending link. However, I generally don't deep link the top banner, and if my link fails, it goes to the main page. AND, the link is on most of the main category pages, not just the index page.

Hey mousejockey,
    Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I'm pretty frustrated with the lack of response at Performics. I've been waiting for a week to hear back from two programs I applied to (one of which will allow me to get an LS merchant off my site). I love the link building! For the one merchant quick on the approval, I've already got links up. Will probably build another couple of pages around them.
    The other problem I have is that I don't see where I can put a list of my sites. Why would a credit card place want to approve me for a coffee site? Why would a costume place think I'm gonna sell costumes from a coffee site? Yeesh. The list of merchants seems nice (though there is at least one over there that never converted on cj for me, so I do wonder what they're doing over there, too).

Hey Haiko,
    I'll post when/if I hear from them. They usually answer when I write something nice, and don't when I write a complaint :eek: . Anyway all traffic to them now is free, but I agree that "changes", whether in cookie duration, commissions, or site changes that add leaks are not good for the affiliate. I have sites with leaks that I chose to join, but I saw it going in.

later all,
    webmistress

@webmistress

Until reading your post yesterday, the little banner I was using just went to the main page, and when CJ came back up, I changed the URL to go to a spooky page [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread