Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm seeing on my site a severe drop in the ration of sales to registrations with eBay.

I'd say that the ration has dropped by 90% this month.

It used to take X number of bids to = Y number of registrations. Now X has to be 10 times more to see the same number of registrations as I saw in the past.

If you are running a big site with more than 50 BIDs or BINs let me know if you're seeing the same thing.

I'm seeing the same thing. I haven't had a registration since April 24; I had 720 unreversed bids/BINs in April, 166 this month. It's been 12 days since the last registration, the longest gap between registrations since October 2003 had previously been 6 days (from 12/23 to 12/29).

I had attributed it to the fact that my site is hockey related, and that the hockey season is winding down, but this didn't happen to me last year until June. I've been averaging one registration every 48 bids since October, with a high of 1 per 38 in November, and a low of 1 per 62 in January (post-Xmas lull).

With my 166 bids so far this month I'd expect 2-3 registrations by now, and if you count inactives, I should be seeing 4-5 registrations. Yet I have none.

Perhaps we've got a new traffic siphon or undocumented program change to worry about.

Ralph

eBay is now another dysfunctional company of the worst kind, when it comes to its relationship with its affiliates. These people should no be allowed to use any affiliates whatsoever. We must learn to boycott such abusers of people. Naturally, CJ does not give even ... a reversed eBay nickel to help us in this respect. PERIOD!

huhu

Ralph,

What you are seeing is the same that I'm seeing. Something has to be wrong. There is no change in TOS that should affect this ratio.

40 to 1 was the eBay average about a year ago. I think it is much, much worse now.

Just put up a test page, I will update you on its process in about a month. There presentation in Vegas was nicely done that I am just testing it and see if I have any problems with them which you all are claiming?

The past couple of weeks have been horrible for me. Registrations are down ten-fold. Bids are down by about 75%. Whenever this happens to me with a program I just eliminate it from all new pages until I see some improvement. Without this method I don't think I'd ever diversify.

David/Ralph

PLEASE use the feedback system at CJ to ask about this. I'm getting blown off on this.

Here's some interesting quotes:

"For a content site like yours, it totally depends on how much traffic you receive and if it is new vs returning traffic"

"Because you are not forcing a click, the conversion from click to conversion is going to drop, considerably."

"It is tough to convert on eBay if you came from a content site."

Note, the conversion from click to registration comment is absolutly absurb. Clicks to conversion should GO UP if you aren't forcing clicks.

Of course what I'm asking is sales to registration conversion. They don't seem to want to answer that. They insist that it must be my business model even though this has only started happening this month.

Furthermore, I've been with eBay before they even had a program at CJ. That's a long time.

My business model hasn't changed and I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden everyone coming to my site is already registered with eBay and therefore I only can get nickels.

I don't think I'm on good terms with them right now. I requested a $335 credit to my account based on the Canadian registrations that I've presumably referred to them, the ones they voluntarily chose to redirect to eBay.ca so I lose my commission.

But I'll try anyway.

Ralph

So far this month, I've had ZERO registrations with eBay.

ZERO!

This has never happened before. Ever. Not since I joined eBay. And they expect me to believe that nothing is wrong?

eBay needs to dump the incentive sites, or do something, because I'm about to pull ALL of my eBay links. This is ridiculous, I'm tired of being used.

For a company that depends on trust, eBay certainly isn't very TRUSTWORTHY. It's a two way street, eBay!

Andy

At the top of our game we were doing over 600 active registrations per month and that was before forcing clicks.

On Thursday we had ZERO actives. Today we have one but I expect it to be reversed.

It's been hard to work on a site built around eBay. The sand keeps shifting. Imagine what it would be like if they treated sellers and buyers like this.

We used to get more than 20 registrations a day. After all the changes we were still getting near 10.

Now, there have been a total of 11 unreversed Active Registrations this month with plenty of time for reverals.

eBay refers the questions to CJ and CJ responds with what you see above.

It looks like content sites are dead and if things don't change our site will be dead for sure.

I got one!

My first this month. And I know it's going to turn active because I see the corresponding bid. Only problem is the clickthrough was from April 29, so there's a chance it could be reversed.

One hint I just learned today; eBay.ca has implemented the 5 cent bid payout. And they're paying $7 for registrations. And I'd be willing to bet that the odds of a "super affiliate" overriding that cookie is a lot smaller than eBay.com. And as far as I can tell, the items offered are the same.

Ralph

ABW Ambassador
    "It looks like content sites are dead and if things don't change our site will be dead for sure."

Why don't you just throw some Adsense up? Why would your site be dead? Why are content sites using ebay when they could be using Adsense?

ABW Ambassador
    I just finished swapping all of the ebay code out w/ adsense on one site... and I'm sure all of the ads are fairly high paying, given the subject of the site, but traffic sucks...

And I have resisted the urge to put ebay on any new sites, and any new site redesigns. I have hundreds of ebay-centric pages up that I won't touch as those still bring in some money, but everything else is going to adsense where I can
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Ya,

Adsense overall just doesn't pay as much anymore.. Kinda sucks...

At first it seemed like a great way to get around the whole CJ fiasco and now it looks like they (adsense) has there own fiasco to worry about..

Just ride the waves and chill...

Cj will be good to those that are good 2 them

ABW Ambassador
    Also this year Adsense is going to get a little competition from Overture/Yahoo when they roll out their own version, something along the lines of Adsense. Overture advertisers pay more and if that filters down to us, that would be great

Adsense and eBay serve two different audiences if done properly.

If you're just going to throw up eBay links that aren't super-targetted to your site's content, then you probably won't have any luck. In other words, even if you have a site about cameras, you're not going to get much from eBay even searching for cameras.

However, if you "pre-sell", or the page is targetted exactly to what you're showing eBay auctions for, you're going to have a lot more luck. It almost becomes a service for your visitors, like "here's a place you can get this thing you've been reading about and now want".

Ralph

ABW Ambassador
    We now make more off of the adsense ads serving up content related to the auctions, than we do the auctions themselves.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    What Ralph said, i do fine with Ebay. The way i do it is just find a product or something people are looking for where the ONLY place to get it is at Ebay. That might take some effort but if you do it can pay off. I would never use them if i could find an actual merchant selling the product. Sometimes you might find a merchant but they don't have an affiliate program. Luckily i found something that NO merchant sells, can only get it an Ebay. So people have no choice if they want this product, they have to sign up.

The eBay Affiliate Program wants to inform you that the volume of reported lead actions (confirmed registered users, “CRUs”) has been very low since May 3, 2004. eBay recognizes the reporting inaccuracy and is working quickly to recover any un-reported activity and transactions so that you can be correctly compensated for May ‘04 transactions. At this time we believe that only registration activity is affected -- bid and buy-it-now transactions are *unaffected* by this issue.

We will continue to keep you informed of the status of this reporting situation via email communications and through the eBay Affiliate Discussion Board (please see the "May '04 Reporting Inaccuracy " posting).

We apologize for any inconvenience and are working hard to remedy the situation ASAP. We will continue to keep you informed as more information is available.

Sincerely,
    The eBay Affiliate Team

When arent there reporting problems at ebay? glad I removed 99% of my links.

I am certainly not a fan of the program anymore or the direction it's going - and haven't been for a number of months, but credit where it's due.

At least someone from Ebay has had the courtesy to politely address the forum and put their hands up and say something was up. It's refreshing and doesn't happen as often as it should in the industry.

quote:
    At least someone from Ebay has had the courtesy to politely address the forum

courtesy? real gutz, I say, considering the feelings we've expressed here lately.

Is that really someone from eBay? If so, I am surprised, to say the least. High time eBay started addressing what's been happening.

That mathces the email sent to me by eBay.

Sigh. How many times has this happened so far? It makes me wonder how many times things weren't tracking and no one noticed.

Ralph

I'm certain Haiko will verify that the message is really from eBay. Since they participated in the ABW meeting in Las Vegas, it makes sense that they would participate here at ABW.

That is a good first step in improving relations with their affiliates, but since so many of us aren't making much money with them anymore, perhaps they need to address why this has happened, and make changes to restore our previous commission levels.

Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast