Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yesterday I got my first sale with CJ.

It took six months because my sites fell into the Google sandbox and received no traffic until recently.

Apart from that there was a 2 dollar credit applied to my account because I bought something through my own link and it didn't track (due to merchant error).

Now my account has been deactivated again.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Radegast,
    Same thing happened to me way back when on one of my CJ accounts, even though there had been 2 sales, just get a hold of them...
    I emailed them ASAP and my account was reinstated right away..

It happened to me six months ago but I hadn't been promoting any CJ merchants before then.

Their answer then was to reapply with a different e-mail address.

New account, new PID, new links.

Does anyone have an e-mail address I can use to contact them?

The charming thing about this is that once you're locked out of your account you have no way to contact them.

http://cj.com/about/contact.jsp

Sounds like a big hassle.... I'd fire them!!!

Thanks Easy Money.

I guess I understand why CJ wants to terminate accounts that don't have sales, but given the situation in today's market, it seems to me they'd not base their decision on whether or not an account had any sales, but on whether or not the account holder was doing anything with the account.

If an account is established, but no ads ever appear, no clicks, no sales, and the Account Manager is never accessed, then I'd say absolutely terminate it.

But if ads are running, clicks are happening, and the account is being logged in to from time to time, then I'd say perhaps that account needs a bit more time to start performing.

It would figure that about the time sales start coming in, they'd close the account. Good luck in getting it reopened.

Andy

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Rad, I'm so sorry that happened. I was so excited when I read earlier that you you got a sale.

Andy that sounds like a much better way to do it. There are plenty of totally INACTIVE affiliates they can deactivate. If there is recent click activity and active log-ins, that means they are trying to build up sales and affiliates should not be deactivated, especially without warning.

Thanks Linda!

The whole thing is kind of amusing now that I've calmed down.

I thought seriously about selling all my CJ merchant websites and concentrating on indies, but that's messy 'cos some of them are sub-domains.

Todd, any comment would be welcome. Please reconsider this policy. I've been sending clicks to several CJ merchants, and got my first sale this weekend.

What do you think about the Google 'Sandbox Effect'?

Between them, Google and CJ are making it very difficult to get off the ground.

If I sign up a new account I'll lose any cookies I might have earned.

The Productive Publisher Policy was implimented to remove unproductive publisher accounts from the network. We analized the performance of accounts in the network to determine a reasonable time frame for generating at least one sale or lead and we determined it to be 6 months. We want to attract productive publishers interested in generating revenue and likewise want our advertisers focused on managing revenue generating relationships.

My thoughts:
    1) I think 6 months is a long time to go without generating any sales or leads.

2) You can't rely on one website (Google) to support your business.

3) Clicks provide no value to advertisers if they do not generate sales or leads.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Todd

Thanks for the response.

I made a sale this weekend.

My account was presumably still active at that point????

2) You can't rely on one website (Google) to support your business.

Is this mandated by the "Productive Publisher Policy"? are we allowed to rely on more than one but less than 4 websites, say, 3 websites (google, yahoo, msn)?

- BluesX

Hi BluesX

I think the response shows that CJ's 'Special Liaison' is totally out of touch with the grassroots.

If we don't depend on Google, what else? PPC?

Does CJ expect new starters to lose money in the PPC game? (While it's pushing parasites on unsuspecting merchants.)

My sites recently started getting traffic (again) and the clicks (and one sale) are coming through but CJ still pulls the plug without any concern.

Also, I made a purchase I couldn't afford through one of my own links to try and prevent this from happening but the sale didn't track...

And while I'm on the bandwagon your CJ spider is sniffing around a site I don't have any CJ links on.

What's going on there?

ABW Ambassador
    "If we don't depend on Google, what else? PPC?"

Yes, plus other search engines (MSN, Yahoo) other forms of traffic from online sources, traffic from offline sources etc. Depending on Google for your business, not a very good idea.
    You've been at ABW for a year and a half, hopefully you would be getting some sales by now and know not to be totally dependent on Google.

As far as the CJ policy, i can understand it but they should have it that if the person gets deactivated and they notify CJ, they can just reactivate the account insted of having to sign up for a new and replace all links. That would be bad for both the affiliate and CJ.

quote:
    I think the response shows that CJ's 'Special Liaison' is totally out of touch with the grassroots.

Grassroots? CJ is hand-to-hand, shoulder-to-shoulder with the Grassroots.... eBates, uPromise, Schoolpop, ...

You're just the "grass" with no "roots"..

You also need to ban CJ Spider. Use IP ban or browser ban to make sure. Do not allow CJ spider to steal your content until CJ agrees on a tradeoff... the "UNREVERSE" button for affiliates.!

Good Luck,

- BluesX

Trust

Depending solely on Google is not a good idea.

Agreed, in the long term.

Note: the LONG TERM

What else is a beginner supposed to do?

(Apart from turning towards unethical practices which isn't an option for me.)

Being deactivated after six months effectively stuffs the long term, doesn't it?

Yes, I've been active here for 18 months but I've only been doing this in earnest for the last six months.

ABW Ambassador
    What were you doing the first year here?

Yes, at the beginning most are totally dependent on the SE's. But as time goes by, you should be learning and growing. You should learn SEO for yourself, how to do PPC successfully, how to get traffic by other means. When you first start out there is a learning curve. And i think CJ should have it where they can just reactivate an account instead of an affiliate having to sign up again and replace all links.

Todd
    quote:
    1) I think 6 months is a long time to go without generating any sales or leads.

I would agree with you on this Todd but for one thing, CJ's tracking is NOT working. I've done tests myself and I've also had Brook from shoes.com do a few tests for me and not a one of them has been credited to me.
    So either
    a/. your tracking is up the spout or
    b/.your parasitic chums are working at full blast.
    It would be great if before you start to get rid of affiliates please make sure your own house is in order like a trusted third party should.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Trust

What good does all the SEO knowledge in the world do you if Google implements a policy to drop all new websites for several months.

They're cruel about it. They don't do it straight away.

They start giving you hits after about a month - that lasts for a couple of weeks, then you vanish into thin air.

And you wonder...and wonder...and wonder

Then after six months you find out the same thing happened to everyone else and with the benefit of hindsight you could have adjusted your business model or changed your priorities or done all kins of things.

What was I doing for my first year here? Working in an extremely stressful environment and designing websites to relax and slowly forming an idea that it would be quite nice to be able to live from this.

And my sites convert when they get traffic.

I've have sales on Linkshare and with indies for the past year.

It's just that my attempt to get 'serious' about this coincided with Google's new policy to stuff all new sites.

And I'm not a complainer. I could have taken all that in my stride.

If CJ hadn't pulled the plug on me we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

ABW Ambassador
    Just hang tight then, they'll get in there. Google gobbles up just about everything, new sites are just taking a little longer lately. Todd/CJ should just reactivate your account.

Thanks Trust.

But you still don't get it.

My sites ARE back. They were gobbled up six months ago.

They're getting traffic and driving hits and beginning to make sales. (I'm talking about the ones that are six months or less old. The older ones have been making sales for a year - just I wasn't promoting CJ merhcants)

And the day I see pigs fly CJ will reactivate my account.

ABW Ambassador
    "I'm talking about the ones that are six months or less old. "

That's the ones i'm talking about. I said "new sites are just taking a little longer lately." Just hang tight.

Trust!

You still don't get it!

I don't need to hang in. My sites are back!!!!

My beef is with CJ for deactivating my account

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast