I intend to join the affiliate program for CJ, but read a lot of complaints here reg tracking, pushing of whenu.com on affiliates..so i am kinda confused , whether should i join or not, or is this the case with all the networks.We spend so much of dollars on our sites , obviously we expect some good commissions in hand too, i knw u all will agree with me. Pl suggest , those who have joined As affiliates with CJ, what shld i do?shld i join them or look elsewhere

welcome to the club!

we can get rather vocal here, for many reasons. some of the arguments about CJ are earned, and some sometimes not necessarily.

but if you find the right merchants in CJ and promote your site(s) properly, you'll probably have more $ than when you started.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join.

No matter which network it is, you need to be careful which merchants you sign up with.

Personally I find it easier to find the good merchants (and avoid the duds) at CJ.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    All the various networks have their problems. Yes, here at the CJ forum, people complain daily (CJ's problem is tracking - either our links aren't being displayed due to Norton, or the links seem to be on every hijacker's hit list).

But, if you venture over to the Linkshare forum, they have just as many complaints - except of a different nature. Linkshare's main problem is they haven't figured out how to get the commission checks to their affiliates.

Performics has well known merchants, but they all pay dismal commissions. And if a question arises, it takes a half hour of searching for anything that looks like a "Contact Us" button.

The two main problems that ALL networks have - and if you read between the lines of all the posts, they are somehow related to this - is:

1. Communications: There is no guarantee your email will be replied to from either a network or a merchant, either in a timely manner or at all. Sometimes if you do get a response, it's an evasive answer. If you think about it, there would be NO need for ABW if communications wasn't an issue!

2. Secrecy: There are three parties involved in a successful affiliate relationship. The affiliate, the network, and the merchant. If you read all the posts, it's obvious that affiliates are purposely left out of the loop on many critical things. Things that have a direct affect on our livelihoods.

[Edited to add 3#]
    3. Micro-Managing by Merchants
    Because there are people who abuse the system - as in every part of life - merchants have started to micro-manage affiliates. Things like we can't put The Gap on the same page as any of it's competitors. Or we can't mention the merchant by name. Or they tell us what keywords aren't allowed on our sites. We affiliates are self-employed entrepreneours. Lately, we're begining to feel like employees - with 1200 bosses with 1200 different sets of rules.

My advice: Find a merchant who fits your site. Then work with the one who you can develop a relationship with.

Or... apply to everyone... throw a bunch of sh**t against the wall, and blindly hope some sticks!!!!

CJ is a good starting point.
    • It's easy to use especially if you are not a teckie.
    • It's a great place to learn basic terms to monitor what's working and what isn't.
    • Combined checks from all affiliates provide an incentive to keep plugging away when you don't have many sales yet.

Good luck,
    Fran

Sherley,

Being new to AM myself I can tell you that CJ is doing a good job for me so far. I know that there are a lot of issues on this board and as my business gets larger I am sure I will find some problems also. All that being said start with CJ or and indie of something that you have interest in and work hard and use this site for great advise and feedback. BTW also try to ignore all the extra BS that gets posted, it is frustrating some times and this is a great place to vent because we are all in it together.

Best of luck,

Spider Man
    Living on the web
    Hopefully one day making a living on the web.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    If you think about it, there would be NO need for ABW if communications wasn't an issue! ~BillyKay

Sure there would! If they communicated, we'd all get together to say what a bunch of BS the latest "official communication" was, LOL!

quote:
    Lately, we're begining to feel like employees - with 1200 bosses with 1200 different sets of rules.

Hardly any empl*yer-types get by my filters. If any clods who delude that they're my boss do manage to slip by, that's what that Drop Program button is for. Axe that kind fast like they deserve, and you'll never feel like an employee doing this business.

quote:
    Or... apply to everyone... throw a bunch of sh**t against the wall, and blindly hope some sticks!!!!

ROFL! I have been sooo tempted to do that sometimes!!! Maybe it's to my benefit that CJ doesn't have a 1-click "apply to all merchants who have a datafeed" switch!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread