Before I start, I'd like to say that this isn't aimed at Todd or Scott, it's aimed at the CJ/Befree/Valueclick organisation as a whole.

When I first started in affiliate marketing, there wasn't a lot of choice, and most of it seemed to revolve around CJ and Amazon. However, as time progressed, more and more networks came on line and I began to look beyond the boundaries of CJ.

These days I make most of my money with small networks or independents, and the reason is simple. They are proactive and responsive - if you have a problem, they will look into it straight away. If something suspicious is going on, it will be investigated.

The problem with CJ, and to an extent the Bfast program is that with the exception of Todd and Scott, they are *not* responsive and will happily let merchants continue for months even though they have been notified that either fraud is occuring or that there are serious tracking issues. I've been struggling for a couple of merchants for months with CJ/Bfast and the response has been far from satisfactory. If I raise similar concerns with other networks, then they are addressed within a couple of days at most.

It seems to me that the main aim of CJ/Bfast is to attract new affiliates and merchants, rather than to grow a business relationship with existing ones.

Let's give an example of some of the issues I've seen recently - persistant eBay tracking issues, merchants with massive negative EPCs, repeated reporting delays, blatant fraud by a handful of merchants and an endless list that goes on and one. Yes, certainly you'd expect more issues with CJ than a smaller network, but then CJ should be bigger and more able to keep a lid on things.

I have in the past reported serious tracking issues with CJ merchants that have taken months to get a response to - and usually that response is that the merchant has left the program. Complaints do not seem to be investigated in a timely manner, and CJ (and to a lesser extent Bfast) are happy to sit on them until the merchant leaves.

I don't know what happens behind ValueClick's doors - but I can tell you that not enough time and effort is spent with affiliates. Other networks are *far* more responsive. Why then should I bang my head against a brick wall, when I can go and make better money elsewhere?

It seems to me that there has to be a culture shift in the ValueClick empire. Instead of recruiting merchants of questionable value, and trying to find newbie affiliates to work with programs, why not get the existing systems working *right*? Have programs with reliable tracking, prompt investigation into issues and remove the fraudsters and parasites completely. That way, perhaps less affiliates will vote with their feet and go elswhere.

Don't get me wrong.. there are a lot of things I *like* with the CJ and Bfast platforms, but the bottom line is that I get a better, more responsive and reliable deal with other networks. I don't want CJ/Bfast to become a dinosaur, but it really does seem that the other networks are smarter and more agile than ValueClick's offerings. <sigh>
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

quote:
    Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    It seems to me that the main aim of CJ/Bfast is to attract new affiliates and merchants, rather than to grow a business relationship with existing ones.

That's interesting. My impression is that CJ isn't at all interested in new affiliates (at least not beginners - all the networks to a greater or lesser extent regard beginners as 'time wasters')

Hmmm... probably more new merchants than new affiliates, but I never feel that CJ regards more experienced affiliates with any more regard than newbies.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

'Moo

It was't my impression that they were any more interested in established affiliates than new ones (apart from maybe super-affiliates.

I don't see that they care about anything except pushing parasites and going for the fast buck.

Exactly - I guess I could say it appears that affiliates don't seem to "belong" in the CJ system any more.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread