I have two computers on the same home network both running XP and both with the same web browser and version. On one of the computers, I can access the CJ and Linkshare homepages and click on the their links and be brought to the proper store. It works great.

On my second computer, I can not access their home pages and the links for these merchants never show up or do not work properly. I have reinstalled my browser and even used Netscape and it still does not work. Its very strange not being able to go to the Linkshare homepage on one computer, then a few feet away on my second computer I can get there easily.

I assume it must be some setting on my computer and not on my web browser that needs to be fixed. Does anyone have some ideas?

Thanks
    Uncle J

Hey Uncle J,

I had the same problem and its a hosts file on your PC which needs editing as it blocks out the CJ affiliate links etc.

On XP it can be found at: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

Edit it in notepad and remove the lines of the sites you want to view.

Thanks Speedy.

It works now. It looks like my "Spy Bot Search and Destroy" added those sites to that list.

Thanks again!

No Probs,
    But just think of all the shoppers out there that have a hosts file on their PC with Linkshare and CJ in them.

All them shoppers with cash and they cant buy from an affiliates site

Why does CJ site have such a problem because of which we are unable to acces their site frm our computer? We can somehow find the path to activate their links, but as speedy correctly said, what abt our commissions which will never come to us, since our shoppers who have their hosts file on their pc also will not be able to access them?

ABW Ambassador
    The hosts file is really good for nothing. Tell them to delete it if they have trouble to access cj.com merchants. Mine was deleted some years ago without any trouble.

carneol

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    The Host File is a legitimate Windows System File that is on the computer for a reason. Additionally, it is there for what could well be considered security reasons (disallowing access to web sites that for whatever reason that user doesn't want the computer to have access to). There are many other legitimate reasons for using the Host file. The most common one that comes to mind is partents who are running Parental Control Software.

I would strongly recommend agaisnt members recommending to their visitors to DELETE a system file, especially one that is considered by many to be a security file. Just because you don't use the host file, it doesn't mean that the user isn't using it for something else outside of your affiliate links being blocked. Anyway, how do you know that the next time they run the software that put the Networks domains in that Host file, if the software doesn't see a Host File on the system, it isn't going to just recreate a new one and write the same list to the file? Many programs will create the file it needs to write to if it doesn't see one on the users system.

A better approach would be to assist them in modifying their Host File and educating to the software which caused the problem and how to have it not happen in the future. In the case of S&D, the host file isn't written to unless you run the Immunization. The fix is to just have them click the button in S&D to turn off the Immunization and S&D will restore the Host File to whatever it was prior to the S&D write. The user doesn't lose any info in the Host file that was there prior to the S&D write that the user may have wanted.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread