ABW Ambassador
    what a dork! somebody copied my website and left my surname in the pages.

and since my surname is almost unique, i found the pages immediately.

man! the html coding on the pages is still intact, even my comment tags!

well, i hope he copied my cj id too. hehehe

i have never seen something so blatant, and so prima facie, that it's like he's trying to stick the site to my face. like it was meant to be seen. what a moron!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Heh, a quick call to cj should take care of the bugger. Jeese, kinda nervy, isn't it?
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Which country you think the copier is from/in?

Someone did that to me about a year ago. Never could figure out what he was doing.

I had at first thought he was using some tactic to overwrite the links at my site with his own. Is this a possibility?

However, some of the links on the page were from somewhere other than CJ and I did keep getting sales which indicated the referral page had been one at this guy's site . . don't quite know what Daniel from NJ was up to ? ? after a year he put the domain up for sale.

Maybe he couldn't figure out why he wasn't making any money.

I'm dealing with a site copier at the moment who just keeps digging himself further and further into it.

He plainly and obviously copied my site - all the usual evidence is there, but claims that I copied my site from other people and he just happened to licence a set of pages from those people - who copied me. Err right. That, of course, wasn't his first story. Oh yes, he's threatening legal action against me for some unknown reason. Also he says that the governing law for copyright is the DMCA - errrr since he's based in the UK (as is his server) it clearly ain't.

I'm really p*ssed off because I'm going to have to sue the stupid SOB and ruin his life, all because he was too lazy to write his own site.

Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I am having the SAME problem!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    I'm really p*ssed off because I'm going to have to sue the stupid SOB and ruin his life, all because he was too lazy to write his own site.
    - - - - -

Ah, but think of the fun article you'll get out of the process!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I'm just curious, how many pages does somebody copy in these examples? Are they just copying the design or the layouts and products as well? It just seems very difficult to copy an entire site, especially if it's dynamic and full of products.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    Heh, a quick call to cj should take care of the bugger. Jeese, kinda nervy, isn't it?
    I'll monitor him for awhile and see what he's really up to and really capable of. One positive note is, the guy obviously doesn't know anything because he had to copy other people's work. Maybe he'll tire down when he doesn't get any sale from his efforts.

The registrant's address is
    Zoersel, Antwerpen 2980 BE
    What country is that?

Snib, he didn't just copy the design and layout, he copied my html code. not only are the coding exactly the same but my name is still on those pages.

quote:
    Originally posted by waytogo:
    The registrant's address is
    Zoersel, Antwerpen 2980 BE
    What country is that?

Thats Belgium.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by JJJay:
    Thats Belgium.
    Thanks!

(Now let's see what kind of voodoo works in belgium)

In my case it's 76 pages, representing about 300 hours work.

Luckily, we're both in the UK so he's in the same legal jurisdiction which makes it a lot easier.

There are several steps that I can take without suing though.

Firstly, all affiliate networks have (or should have) a clause about copyright, and that the affiliate's web site must appropriately use intellectual property. The penalties for non-compliance are using immediate termination of the account and loss of funds. (Although in practice networks can be a little slow to respond).

You can also serve a Cease & Desist on their web host, alternatively most web hosts will take down a site that clearly violates your copyright.

Use whatever resources you can find, including the Internet Archive, copies of mail, tracking statistics, sales information, Alexa, Ranking.cometc to support your claim for prior use.

To be honest, in my circumstance I would have been happy for the guy to remove the material and leave it at that. But he seemed to want to play games, despite not actually knowing the rules of the game. So instead of spending time making sites, I'm spending time taking legal action. Ho-hum.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    i cannot eblieve that someone would copy 76 pages of your website!!! thats sounds amazing

i would just email their host and show them the proof, they normally take the offending website down asap if you threaten legal action, especially here in the UK!
    my friend had a similiar problem, somone copied her actual business, sold ther sma estuff on ebay, took their pictures, made a replica site and replica domain name - it was hard to tell the actual difference!

ebay did nothing about it, but the persons host took the site down the same day, its a shame ebay has no morals!!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    To add to Dynamoo's suggestions, I'd also strongly suggest contacting the individual merchants. The ones who are going to do anything are a LOT more responsive than networks. Also you will find out which ones *won't* do anything...and can react accordingly. There are always some surprises when it comes to which ones will, and which ones won't, respond.

quote:
    I'm just curious, how many pages does somebody copy in these examples? Are they just copying the design or the layouts and products as well?

I've had everything from having my sales pitches copied, to 100% full-site xeroxing (exact copy of source code except AffIDs changed). I've even had a couple of xeroxers swipe the whole site and leave the AffIDs alone!

Out of all my sites, one of them seems to draw these losers like a magnet. It started as a non-datafeed sales site and typically the 40/50 pages or so of original sales "content" is what's targeted, although some copies have included a few hundred feed pages.

I've had some pitches stolen off of other of my sites, too.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

OK,

This copying stuff has made me think of something that has worried me for years.

When I first got Front Page, many years ago, I didn't really know how to use it and, as I recall, it has a way that you edit pages directly on the net instead of on your computer and then FTP them over. That is what I was using. And, sure I LOOKED at other peoples sites and tried to learn what made them tick. In fact, I learned most of my HTML from looking at other people's site's code.

Now, I have many, many thousands of pages from years of work. But, I have even had nightmares that somewhere there might be some pages from years ago that I looked at but might have published to the web not knowing what it was I was doing with FP. Of course, after this many years, I guess, either I don't have any purloined pages or nobody gives a hoot because I haven't heard a thing. I am way too disorganised to be able to really know for absolute positive.

I suggest that if the entire page is intact and your affiliate code has not been changed to benefit the copier, that you contact them to see if they made a boo boo.

It can happen. They might have opened the pages to look at them and then saved them for future reference not realizing that they were working live on their own web space or that it would matter or that anyone would even care if they did.

From what you describe, they haven't tried to benefit financially or even removed your name. So what IS the motivation? Maybe, they are trying to learn. They may not even understand what their tools are doing or think anybody can even see the stuff they have up.

Contacting the site owner might be your cheapest, nicest and quickest fix.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by SSanf:
    It can happen. They might have opened the pages to look at them and then saved them for future reference not realizing that they were working live on their own web space or that it would matter or that anyone would even care if they did.

From what you describe, they haven't tried to benefit financially or even removed your name. So what IS the motivation? Maybe, they are trying to learn. They may not even understand what their tools are doing or think anybody can even see the stuff they have up.

Contacting the site owner might be your cheapest, nicest and quickest fix.
    If we're talking about pages with the affiliate id still intact, then that may be the true. in my case, the cj id was replaced by his own.

also, if it was just a mistake on his part, then we will not be talking of the whole website. even if there were many pages involved in the copying, his website index and the rest of it would be different.

by the way he added more keywords to the meta tag. but my own keywords and surname are still there.

Alexa has stats on the copy site, so i think it has been there probably for awhile, i just wasn't searching for my family name before.

Traffic to the website right now is almost non-existent. Though i think, there was some before.

I'm a good person, I don't want to pick a fight with anybody, unless it is really necessary. too much stress. what i'll do right now is to wait for the copy site to die from natural causes.

I had the same thing happen about 2 weeks ago. Somebody copied my webpages, page by page, word for word, and posted them to another website. My affiliate codes are still there, as well as my sitemeter (which is how I found out about this). He apparently did a "find and replace" to take out my site name and insert his website name. The only other changes I noticed were that he added his own ads on just the index page. Oh, and there's this UGLY pink background.

I have e-mailed him (found out some information on this guy from the "WhoIs" directory) and asked him to remove my pages from his site, but there has been no response. I also e-mailed his web host and others with no response from most of them.

The best support I got was from Offerweb, where some of his ads were from. I got his ID from his source code and I managed to get Offerweb to suspend him. (By the way, though I don't partner with them, they were great to work with). He only replaced his suspended ads with others from another am.

Since I can see the referrals to his page through MY Sitemeter account, I know that he is registered with many traffic generating programs. I don't know how these work, but he is getting lots of traffic from places like libertyhits, theglobaltrafficexchange, cashcrazyhits, surfandmillions, and server4traffic - and more sites like that. Apparently he is getting paid for traffic to his site and for surfing other members' sites.

I guess I should welcome the traffic - maybe someone will click through one of my banners on his website and buy something. But this is not the kind of traffic I want and my biggest fear is that my merchants are going to see my code on his site and discontinue working with me. CJ says I should not worry - as long as I am making sales, the merchants won't mind (so, no real help from them).

Also, since all my keywords are still intact, this will gain him my position in the search engines for those terms.

I don't know what else I can do. Though I don't wish this on anyone, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one this is happening to. I welcome any suggestions.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread