Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Copy of an email I received regarding an investigation of tracking problems..
    Beware DealHunting.com!!!!!
    Hi, Trish -

My silence on this issue is no indication of its
    importance or its significance.

However, it does take time to research these problems, especially when the information provided is incomplete.

That being said, I was unable to locate any sales or commissions due to
    you for the month of April using the account numbers you provided in
    your previous email.

According to the information I was able to obtain, the commission for
    the order number you provided (21676892) were credited to the web site
    DealHunting.com (457732), on 04/30/04.

I have forwarded this information to CJ and requested that an
    investigation be initiated regarding this situation. I will let you
    know as soon as I have more information.

Holy Cow!! Just goes to show you that something is very very wrong with CJ. Please keep us informed if you have anymore feedback on this Trish.

Will do Grumpy.
    And now to boot...of course I cant get into the CJ console!
    HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

ABW Ambassador
    First of all, I don't think any affiliate manager should ever mention any other affiliate by name--too many privacy and competition issues to deal with.

quote:
    Beware DealHunting.com!!!!!

What makes you think that DealHunting.com had anything to do with the commission being misappropriated? Last year, I remember where some of CJ's commissions were posted to the wrong accounts, which then had to be fixed.

I just get really tired, really fast of people throwing out accusations in public forums without first doing their homework. This is the exact reason I don't make my site URLs public knowledge--too many bullets to dodge.

Michael

ABW Ambassador
    Beware Merchant

Dealhunting looks to be a legit coupon code site, can't see how they can get your commission. Seems to be a merchant or CJ problem, not a dealhunting problem.

Sorry Michael,

I wish I was jumping to conclusions! But fact is: I work full time for a company whose commissions were credited to DealHunting.com last year.

Are you suggesting that CJ always makes the same mistake?

ABW Ambassador
    I also know DealHunting.com to be a legitimate coupon site. I would work with CJ to find out why your commissions are being credited to the wrong party.

There are affiliate sites which I have suspected very heavily of dubious behaviors, yet I have not publicly exposed them on ABW or any other public forum. Some of them have even been well-respected ABW members. It's just not my style.

Michael

quote:
    Originally posted by EmDub:
    It's just not my style.

Michael

If its not your style then do not condemn those for there own style!

To each there own!

ABW Ambassador
    Trish, maybe this is what happened..

Your user followed your link, you r cookie was set, you user entered to the checkout to pay the order, he saw a coupon code field, he opened a new window, searched for a coupon in google, entered to dealhunting coupon site, found or not a coupon there, but dealhunting induced the user to click on a link (or just used a popup) that finally got the cookie in name of dealhunting.

So, you did the hardwork, but they got paid, this is happening all days all the day, couponsites that even does not have coupons for some merchants just attract "coupon" related searches on google and overwrite some affiliates that did the selling job.

I proposed here once that CJ could not overwrite a cookie from another affiliate if the older cookie was set within leess than 1 hour to prevent these "coupon-affiliate-SE-driven-user-overwritten-original-affiliate-at checkout-time"

This has seconday negative effect that I believe that are much less than the positive corrections.

Pure-Coupon sites will be against this.
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL.."So, you did the hardwork, but they got paid, this is happening all day every day, couponsites that even does not have coupons for some merchants just attract "coupon" related searches on google and overwrite some affiliates that did the selling job."

I'll add in here most of these frigging couponers (DealHunting seems legit) are also the SE spammers -e-mailer spammers and blind cookie setting tricksters, who come to ABW and brag to all EcomCity can't sell water in Arazona. They try to take the work out of coupon posting and just copy from other or make up coupons for their merchants to set a cookie while shoving the duped shopper out the back door to the merchant.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >I proposed here once that CJ could not
    >overwrite a cookie from another affiliate if >the older cookie was set within leess than 1
    >hour to prevent these "coupon-affiliate-SE-
    >driven-user-overwritten-original-affiliate-at
    >checkout-time"

Now THERE'S an interesting idea that deserves further discussion!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Holy Cow!! Just goes to show you that something is very very wrong with CJ.
    Glad I wasn't the one to say it this time - eh T***?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I'm with EmDub on this one. I don't like seeing web sites named when there is no proof offered up to the comission diversion and how it happened. It's not fair to the accused affiliate and there could be legal implications to the poster especially when such phrases as "priate alert" are used.

Things should investigated properly before URL's and claims of wrong doing are made publicly.

BTW, what is the board's current policy regarding domain revealing? Just seems to be a lot of url's being posted lately.

quote:
    There are affiliate sites which I have suspected very heavily of dubious behaviors, yet I have not publicly exposed them on ABW or any other public forum. Some of them have even been well-respected ABW members. It's just not my style.

Michael

Say what?

Respect is EARNED, just like trust, and it only takes a second to kill it. If some people are respected based on lies or ASSUMPTIONS of ethical business practices, do you really think that they will still be respected if their dubious behaviors were exposed?

It might not be your style to want to get to the truth, but these "respected" people could be stealing from YOU one day. But it's ok, after all they're respected AWB members, so don't touch them.

HA!

Catwoman

ABW Ambassador
    I did not know the dealhunting site, just used it as an example but I was refering to dirty coupon sites, must have read "cookiehunting.com type sites"

ABW Ambassador
    Some may consider them legit, some not but they are auto setting cookies in mass and this is when no popup is being issued.

I only checked a couple of links (select a store to see the coupons) but each one I checked resulted in tracking cookies from multiple networks being set when the merchants site is never visited.

Fer..
    That "user" was ME. and I didnt use a coupon... open any other window...door or peephole, didnt do any kind of search.. all i did was buy my mother a gift.
    and lo and behold i got screwed

thanks for the suggestion, but either CJ is a mess..or dealhunting are pirates

Well everyone respects Poon and Ms.B so they sure can checkout the blind cookie setting techniques by any affiliate domain. The poor man's BHO actually hides their deceptive practices better then any popup alert player pushing "incents". It is against the networks TOS to set merchnat tracking cookies without a physical click. It is against the TOS and conventional laws to use deceptive advertising by posting phoney coupons to dupe consumers.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

this whole business kinda leaves a sick feeling in my stomach now
    i really thought there would be ethics in business...especially when dealing with the 'big' guys
    oh well... if rumsfeld could look the other way .... then so can the 'big' 3
    ouch im so sore i cant sit down!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    ...It is against the networks TOS to set merchnat tracking cookies without a physical click.

A CJ Rep. Replied me once, that redirecting to a site without a physical click IS ALLOWED although not recommended and may hurt your EPC and Merchant EPC, but that's a problem between the Affiliate and the Merchant as described by CJ Rep...

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    There are affiliate sites which I have suspected very heavily of dubious behaviors, yet I have not publicly exposed them on ABW or any other public forum.

The keyword here is suspected. Versus knowing! If you aren't certain and don't know for sure and can't back up what you know, then accusations that someone IS doing something should not be made! Especially naming the party.

I have not checked the site in question for auto cookie setting and I don't particularly have any intentions of doing so.

I will say that even if they are doing that, it would not in any way account for the test purchase being credited to their account!!! Trish 55 states that no other site was visited. Their site -->> Merchant -->> Checkout. It would have had to been: Their site -->> DealHunting.com page for same merchant -->> Back to Merchant (with not click from DealSavings.com -->> Checkout

I'm not saying that Dealsavings.com is or isn't doing something to have caused a cookie overwrite in the test purchase. I'm sayig that it isn't KNOWN yet for sure. And definitive information should have been found out before anything naming another affiliate's web site was posted.

That CJ rep is a commissioned pimp for the Ad Whores.

quote:
    Originally posted by BLFH (Ms. B):
    The keyword here is suspected. Versus knowing! If you aren't certain and don't know for sure and can't back up what you know, then accusations that someone _IS_ doing something should not be made! Especially naming the party.

I agree and disagree.

I agree that there should be no ACCUSATIONS without proof. That goes without saying.

But I disagree that the site that received the commission shouldn't be named. If it was MY site that was mistakenly credited when I know I had done nothing wrong, I would want to know about it. Wouldn't you?

Then the issue could be raised with CJ from both parties. I would definitely want the commission to be returned to the one who actually made the sale if I didn't. If it was the other way around, like it is for Trish, I would want the same to be done for me. And I would want to know from CJ what the hell went wrong and why *I* got a commission I didn't deserve rather than just see a reversal in reports and not knowing what really happened.

There are many ways to ask if something is wrong without making unfounded accusations. There is nothing wrong with raising the issue. It's all in the way it's worded.

And if it's found later that the site DID do something wrong, then everyone has a right to know. And whether they are ABW members or not is irrelevant. It doesn't mean because people are members on this board that they're above reproach. I've read enough posts to the contrary here.

Catwoman

quote:
    Originally posted by SandraR:
    quote:
    It's just not my style.

Michael

If its not your style then do not condemn those for there own style!

To each there own!

AGREED!

Trish 55, you keep on doing what you think is right and don't let others shame you (or try to} into not exposing the wrong and the parties involved. It can be sort out later.

Sandra said it best but I will correct her spelling with "there"...to each their own!

I get a little tired of the trashing due to matter of opinion when facts with party’s definity involved one way or another comes to light. I also get tired of those ra ra posts from those suggesting to us nothing is wrong when post after post suggests there is. I don't believe in post after post of coincidences.

Time we get to the bottom of “tracking issues” within CJ.

Trish, your style is one that will get to the bottom of this, not the other.

----------------------

Go ahead, trash me! I’m ready!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    i really thought there would be ethics in business...especially when dealing with the 'big' guys

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast