ABW Ambassador
    Anyone have a copy of the Colorado Pen message that went out today? I expired them as soon as I got the message and it made the darn message disappear out of my inbox. I was going to post it here.

Basically they are complaining about search engine stuff but also said they REQUIRE affiliates to sell $500 gross per month of their product to be in the program. -

What is that, a billion pens? I had two sales this month for a whopping $100 in gross sales. I guess I would need 10 orders to stay in their program.

Somebody please post it for all too see!

Heres the whole mess

quote:
    While we welcome all affiliate relationships, we need to enact some compliance guidelines. Consumers have been trying to make purchases through our affiliate network but have met with significant frustration due to their inability to find Colorado Pen Direct after clicking from major search engines.

Our Affiliate Policy Guidelines are as follows:

1. If you are an approved affiliate of Colorado Pen Direct, you must display only our approved/supplied graphics and approved text. The supplied graphics will contain appropriate links to our site.

2. No unapproved graphics (i.e. products we offer) may be contained on your site.

3. Minimum gross sales per month must be a minimum of $500.

4. Our graphics cannot be altered in any way. Our graphics package and any ad requirements can be obtained immediately by emailing to: affiliates@coloradopen.com

5. No out of date ‘specials’ may be represented by any affiliate. No ‘coupons’ may be presented as active, if they are in fact just for driving traffic.

6. Our legal name may not be abridged in any way. Our name is, ‘Colorado Pen Direct’. It is not, ‘Colorado Pen Company’ or ‘Colorado Pen’.

7. If you are optimizing our name (Colorado Pen Direct or any variation of) on any major search engine and wish to display our name or site address, you must link directly to our site. Not to your site but wwww.coloradopen.com.

8. If you are optimizing our name (Colorado Pen Direct or any variation of) on any major search engine, you must place the words, “Affiliate” in the ad.

We welcome any questions or concerns referring to our Affiliate Policy Guidelines. You may direct your questions or comments to: affiliates@coloradopen.com

We have successfully worked with several search engines (Google, et cetera) to immediately deactivate anyone not in compliance with our published Policy and with the major search engine’s policies.

We will be deactivating any affiliates through Commission Junction on 30 May 2004 if any violations to the above Policy have been found. If you feel you are in compliance with all of the above Policies with the exception of #3 and you feel you can meet this policy within sixty days, please contact us before 30 May 2004.

Thank you for your understanding.

================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Well looks like I'll stay away from there program. What

ABW Ambassador
    7. If you are optimizing our name (Colorado Pen Direct or any variation of) on any major search engine and wish to display our name or site address, you must link directly to our site. Not to your site but wwww.coloradopen.com.

8. If you are optimizing our name (Colorado Pen Direct or any variation of) on any major search engine, you must place the words, “Affiliate” in the ad.

We have successfully worked with several search engines (Google, et cetera) to immediately deactivate anyone not in compliance with our published Policy and with the major search engine’s policies.

Looks like they're talking about PPC and if you do PPC link directly to their site instead of yours first. That's usually opposite of how most merchant want it done. Overall looks like another clueless AM.

It's a stanky world when the bean counters, ivy league marketing wonks, and lawyers get involved.

Next quarters board meeting: Hmmmm, short term sales are down, must be some changes I read about happening in Google.

My favorite part is:

quote:
    No unapproved graphics (i.e. products we offer) may be contained on your site.

Obviously, they don't provide or see the value of a datafeed...

They are definitely letting the BIG L's on their foreheads show.

ATKOgirl

I have a papermate pen that writes with black ink. It's made out of premium plastic and has it's original cover. I'd sell it to any of you here at the special low low price of $21.95. You could sell them on your on websites for three times that!

Totally crazy. Where do they get these AMs?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

What a joke! I have the feeling a lot of their affiliates are going to expire them after this bomb. Yet another clueless AM joining the ranks of people who really are more qualified to sell used Pintos, Pacers, and Gremlins.

Andy

I dumped them long time ago cuz they were affiliated with lots of parasites. I guess they are just weeding out the smaller affiliates now.
    ~Ernie

I admit that I had changed the text link text on my site to "Colorado Pen" because the text they use is "http://www.coloradopen.com/Home.asp" which really looks appropiate on affiliates pages - right?. We can't change that gobbly-goop text according to their policy.

OK I am still breaking the rules by altering the text to "Colorado Pen Direct" because I am not displaying the crappy URL text link. Pure silliness!
    Larry Wentz
    <a href="http://twitter.com/LarryWentz">Twitter.com/LarryWentz</a>

Internet Cowboy
    I canned them when I read that as well.
    I wonder if that guy gets notifications when people drop their program? If he does, his inbox was full today.
    WHAT AN ARROGANT A** that guy must be.
    I would bet that someone with them regrets sending that email.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread