Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I would like to know how you could possibly even think of asking people (those selling less than $10,000.00 per month) to pay $250.00 or whatever it is you were asking for the datafeeds you supply. The ones I am getting are anything up to 18 months out of date. Half the links and images don't work. Surely for the money you charge the merchants you can update the feeds more often for them.

Also you have made a right mess of the categories, the system you used to use was far better, that is pre ebates and whenu, yes go on tell me it is just a coincidence I might believe you but I doubt it.

Its a sad time when not only do you recomend and push these scumbags onto your merchants you also make things much harder for us small affiliates to compete against them by altering the datafeeds the way you have.

Take care
    YouTrek.com

Gordon,

Seems like a pretty brave and straightforward post. I would just like to cast my vote as being 100% behind you!

As a professional internet marketer I am continually outraged by CJ's lack of commitment to the whole parasite issue. (They have made token efforts but as we all know, if they really wanted it to end, it would all be over in a milisecond. Just takes the figurative 'click of a switch'.)

Kudos to Gordon for having the cahones' that it would take in order to accuse CJ of ANYTHING..

CJ seems to have an answer for anything. Of course many of their answers are extremely lame and there's nothing that we can do about that, I guess.

Personally, I am very tired of spending about 80 hours a week promoting CJ merchants over the last 4 years only to have my sales (and clicks to some degree) diminish extensively over the last 6 months while they due all of their 'upgrades'. (Yes, like many other affiliates, I believe that the CJ updates DUE cause "tracking to be affected"!)

I really feel that we are getting ripped off some how. Don't any of you feel this way as well? I've had various situations with different CJ merchants where I would check my Google rankings because my CJ sales were down and then found that my Google rankings were all the same but my CJ sales were way down. The Google rankings stayed 'fairly' constant (i.e. my rank didnt fluctuate more than #1 to #20, most of the time my Google rank didnt vary more than a couple of spots.. like from #3 to # 5.

But my sales went down so fast and hard that you would think that my search engine listings ceased to exist!!

I wish that I had not spent so much of my time over the last 4 years promoting CJ merchants. On another note.. I love making predictions and,... OK, I know this probably is not too difficult but here goes...

I predict that Ron will be either the 1st ore 2nd responder to this post.

If we don't get some kool rules ourselves...... pronto........ then we'll just be bogus too.. ~Jeff Spicoli~

ABW Ambassador
    *cough* Linkshare *cough*

ABW Ambassador
    I dont have the CJ feeds. Not paying for them as they sound rubbish, and dont qualify for them for free at this time of the year.

On a lighter note:

quote:
    Originally posted by Easy Money:
    Kudos to Gordon for having the cahones' that it would take in order to accuse CJ of ANYTHING..

I believe Gordon has cojones. He probably has cajones too, but keeps his socks in those

I would have bet myself that this would be right:

quote:
    Originally posted by Easy Money:
    I predict that Ron will be either the 1st ore 2nd responder to this post.

... but I have spoiled that for you too.

I agree Gordon, that affiliates deserve answers for supporting CJ all this time. I also agree Pete, there are other places.

Build sitemaps and keyword rich content
    - EASILY.

ABW Ambassador
    It's an incredible business all the way around huh.

Networks who love these "technology providers" seem to know very little about using technology themselves.

And by the way, it's not just CJ that has screwed up datafeeds. I've seen a ton of them! In a day where technology is really used to businesses advantages, it seems the support system here for most is at best - terrible!

Some enterprising group of folks will wake up and provide the right tools and services regarding datafeeds but I don't think it will be the networks we know. They seem to clearly not understand technology (we can't even get and epc like figure from most networks).

Our rights as an affiliate are next to nothing when it comes to the networks and merchants.

We get crappy pay for the services we provide, we only get a small percentage of credit for sales on the benefits we provide merchants (1-800 numbers and no credit for phone sales), cookie washers, parasites and so many other things come into play that dilute our earnings it's not even funny! Children have more work rights than we do!

Not only are we forced to try and compete with parasites who "electronically steal" and divert our commissions and our visitors into their folds, when we file a COC violation complaint we don't even have the rights to know what actions are being taken..... I know how long 60 days is but some who "supposedly love and understand technology" sure don't.

You expect these same people to give us good tools and a fair shake? I don't think so. They standard policy seems to be "throw whatever crap you can at them as fast as you can with little efforts and don't even worry about updating it".

The few companies I have with datafeeds where you really can tell they are serious about providing quality data that is updated are the ones that have good business practices and convert. The ones that are rarely updated, or seem to constantly change with little or no notice, and ones that have a screwed up format of the data provided in the first place is a pretty good indication of what you can expect.

With that I'll say the same as I started....

It's an incredible business all the way around huh.

Use google adsense instead of CJ. You will likely make more money.

http://www.google.com/adsense

1) WhenU and eBates, to my knowledge, do not use data feeds.
    2) Advertisers update their datafeeds. Most are pretty good at updating them daily. Some are not very good at updating them. If you are getting old feeds, I believe you can request to have your data feed subscription(s) changed to eliminate this.
    3) Publishers are charged a nominal, one time fee to get feeds if they have not generated a certain level of sales volume. This is to ensure that only the publishers that can actually use datafeeds to make money are receiving them. There are not unlimited numbers of feeds available. As we add more feeds we need to add more hardware to support the added load.

As for the issue related to categories - I can't respond to "they are screwed up". I would need more constructive feedback as to what the issues are.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    posted July 14, 2003 04:37 PM

Pete, So Todds a little late in responding to this thread. Ya can't say he doesn't try to answer them all
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    1) WhenU and eBates, to my knowledge, do not use data feeds.

Really...? And why should they work harder than they have to promoting their own stuff? Their earnings come from other affiliates' work anyway.

I wonder how long you would stay in YOUR job if someone else was collecting YOUR paycheque and CJ said "it's ok Todd, they're compliant with our business practices, just work harder. They'll make more money off of you but your cheque will also increase".

Catwoman

Talk about resurrecting a thread! Seems like a good one to revive.

quote:
    CJ seems to have an answer for anything. Of course many of their answers are extremely lame and there's nothing that we can do about that, I guess.

I especially like the one where they don't seem to be able to define parasites. You know, the "What is a parasite? What's considered to be a parasite by some, isn't by others..." answer.

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Maybe the question to this answer needs revision...1) WhenU and eBates, to my knowledge, do not use data feeds.

Proper question: Is it true that CJ and the other networks automatically update the BHO "incent" offerings via special merchant incent feeds?

Seems like during the incubation and beta testing of incent BHO's the networks devised a way to automatically update daily the database of offering for the BHO's hundreds of merchants. Are we to expect eBates-iGive-iWon-Upromise ect ect...all manually update those coupons -rebates and specials popping up daily on several 100 million systems?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

quote:
    I especially like the one where they don't seem to be able to define parasites. You know, the "What is a parasite? What's considered to be a parasite by some, isn't by others..." answer.
    I really like how every post gets turned into a parasite discussion.
    Todd Crawford

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:

There is a reason for that.

This is now the public image that CJ has created for itself because of partnering with and Wholeheartedly Promoting parasites.

It's like Pavlov's Dog. So many of us think of CJ and parasites just automaticlly come to mind.

People's paychecks are missing money.

I imagine that even those people who Still get substantial checks from CJ are Probably missing lot's of money from those checks, because of parasites.

Yes, it's good of you to come here and answer questions. I don't envy that position.

But, if you're wishing that people would just "move on and forget about" the CJ/Parasite partnerships ...That ain't gonna happen!

It's imbeded into our brains!

And every time we get our checks from CJ, it serves as another reminder. A reminder of what that check really should have been and ONE of the Primary reasons why.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Chock it up to jealousy. None of us have figured out how to take some crappy thrown together 5 page web site showing a merchant link directory and pull in $700,000 monthly CJ paychecks. Instead we build CJ merchant showcase pages in 350 page Cybermalls like www.ecomcity.com/webworld/seaeagle.htm and maybe earn a few bucks a month.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

My point is even when there are good discussions or information exchanges, someone always seems to jump in with off topic comments, mostly related to parasites. Others have very valid points to make and I don't think they appreciate have their topics changed.

I understand everyone's concerns, I just think these issues can be discussed separately and not get every post off topic.

In the case of this post, Gordon tries to bring up a valid issue but clutters it with parasite issues that are not related to his concerns about the quality of data feeds.

There is a lot of speculation out there and as I point out on a regular basis, most of it isn't true.
    Todd Crawford

Gotta agree with Todd on this one.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

quote:
    None of us have figured out how to take some crappy thrown together 5 page web site showing a merchant link directory and pull in $700,000 monthly CJ paychecks.
    Mike, the day you earn 1% of this, is the day you will stop posting your conspiracy theories here and start getting serious about making money.
    Todd Crawford

Well, I'm sure life would be just dandy for Todd without all those danged parasites bringing all that dosh to CJ...

Swampy I don't agree.

There are some sticking points beyond which meaningful communication can't progress.

quote:

And why do you suppose that is?

A lot of affiliates feel that it's a very real and very serious problem.

I think the thread started out, in part, as a parasite discussion.

CDC

THE THREAD IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE THREAD!
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do...

Radegast,

I hear what you're saying and understand the basis. What I do agree with Todd on is that every single time a thread that is even remotely related to parasites (and I do mean remotely sometimes) it just turns into a bash session. We need a place to gripe, given. CJ (and others) need to address those issues, given. But get some other questions answered without it occasionally.

On this one, Todd has a point. As for the ebates and whenu comments, he needs to deal with that one to. But let him answer the datafeed question.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

I guess Todd's job here would be a lot easier if he didn't have to CONSTANTLY skirt around the main issues.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    [Translation Engine Initialized. Awaiting Input_]

quote:
    INPUT: Proper question: Is it true that CJ and the other networks automatically update the BHO "incent" offerings via special merchant incent feeds? ~Mike {End Input}

[Translating... Translation Complete_]

Output: There is some kind of live, self-updating CJ Feed in existence that would be no work once integrated, yet would never go out of date

OH? Is this true Todd? Did I translate that right? If so, what are the requirements? Is it an XML feed like Amazon's? This definitely sounds like it'd be worth getting my mitts on if I could work it into my business model...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Let's all log in and see if there are any updates....logging in, checking note in upper left section...reading information linked to CJU Online...

Download new promotional links via the data transfer system.

The CJ Account Manager now has functionality for you to download all promotional links via the data transfer system. Download promotional links from all the advertisers you are joined to and receive promotional links from advertiser programs you are not joined to with a link to the advertiser detail page to easily join. To get started with promotional link type data feeds contact client services via "Ask a Question" and under "Linking" find "Advanced Linking" and request a promotional link data transfer.
    Todd Crawford

I rest my case.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast