Regarding our thread that you closed and had others at CJ read, CJ's Fiduciary Responsibility Regarding Parasites, will you please share with us their thoughts? Will any action be taken?

Thanks.

OK - thanks again for everybody's participation in the original thread.

I guess there are three things that resulted from the thread:

1) We cannot provide information to publishers on our advertisers' partners due to our contractual obligations. I think an alternative is to contact advertisers yourself and ask them about their marketing partners and strategies to see if they are working with publishers that are inconsistent with how you would do business.

2) We are in the process of working with the original participants of the CoC to update it.

3) We are in the process of auditing our policies on how we enforce the CoC and any future changes to it.

One other thing I would like to mention is the upcoming Microsoft SP2 for XP, which will help eliminate some of the issues related to software-based advertising and make our jobs easier.

This is not just lip service. We are committed to working with our advertisers and publishers to ensure that commissions are fairly credited to the appropriate publishers.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Thank you for that.

_____
    now, let's all go make a buck

Thanks, Todd. A followup to that orginal post with the information you provided here is much appreciated.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Todd

quote:
    We are in the process of working with the original participants of the CoC to update it

As in Linkshare and so on or internal at CJ.

NB regarding our call last month , not dead, just slow

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    1) We cannot provide information to publishers on our advertisers' partners due to our contractual obligations. I think an alternative is to contact advertisers yourself and ask them about their marketing partners and strategies to see if they are working with publishers that are inconsistent with how you would do business.

I hate to beat a dead horse but I don't think anyone specifically asked that merchants identify specific parasitic partners. What we asked for was a simple question in the form of - Does the merchant support relationships with parasitic applications or even does the merchant allow downloaded programs to participate in their program along with an answer from the merchant.

The questions we desired to be stated and made available to affiliates is no more "divulding of confidential information" than what you already do in requiring affiliates who have downloadable applications to specifically state their business model for merchants.

It is more than hypocritical and unfair to require affiliates to provide a specific model of operation to be stated when the reverse relationship "somehow is pushed by yall" as a violation of client confidentiality.

You answers in the regard IMO do not make sense, is completely unfair and seems a legitimate basis for cj supporting non disclosure and even discrimination.

I'm going to side with happypoon on this one. We never asked for CJ or their advertisers to reveal anything about the various partnerships.

All we want to know is the exact same thing advertisers want to know about us.

Does the publisher use software downloads?

Does the advertiser allow publishers who use software downloads?

No big deal, not revealing any secret or proprietary information.

Not providing this information places all of your publishers at an unfair disadvantage.

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    All the ABWers here at the time of the original CoC meeting know full well this group endorsed pushing for this complete disclosure policy at that time. It was the only unanimous policy piece carried by our affiliate representatives at thta time as a bone to throw affiliates if a CoC turned into a whitewash affair.

Haiko should re-post my policy proposal as it's inside the "invite only" discussion area. It scared the pants off the networks opening up a new level of transparancy. Complete upfront disclosure of all diversion tactics allowable by merchants in their public profiles ...before signup. The A-G list included acceptance of S/W download and "incentive" affiliates as a Yes/No option.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:

2) We are in the process of working with the original participants of the CoC to update it.

3) We are in the process of auditing our policies on how we enforce the CoC and any future changes to it.

This is not just lip service.

Fool Me Once, Shame On You.
    Fool Me Twice, Shame On Me.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I concur with the previous statements regarding disclosure. To ensure trust among all three parties to the contract disclosure must be available to *all* parties. If a merchant is flagged as partnering with incentivized sites that's sufficient information for me. I can do the rest of the research myself.

As far as CJ is concerned I'm in a bit of a holding pattern. I don't intend to join any new programs for a while although I'm continuing to work with merchants who track and convert. I'll be investing my time this Summer promoting other networks which have been profitable for me, one in particular which I know to be parasite free. (Use any definition of parasite you're comfy with.)

Todd, you guys have to get it right this time. CJ has so much of value in its network and interface to muck it up by alienating the best and brightest of the affiliate community.

ABW Ambassador
    For those who might be interested to know what's coming in XP SP2 as Todd mentioned:

quote:

Internet Explorer Add-on Management allows users to view and control the list of add-ons that can be loaded by Internet Explorer with more detailed control than before. It also shows the presence of some add-ons that were previously not shown and could be very difficult to detect. These add-ons might provide undesired functionality or services and, in some cases, might present a security risk.

For example, a user might unintentionally install an add-on that secretly records all Web page activity and reports it to a central server. Previously, specialized software and deep technical knowledge might have been required to identify and remove that add-on. Internet Explorer Add-on Management provides an easier way to detect and disable that add-on.

Add-ons include:
    • Browser help objects
    • ActiveX controls
    • Toolbar extensions
    • Browser extensions

You can read more about this at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...on131121120120.

Regarding fair disclosure:

Many of you have pointed out that simply because an advertisers has partnerships with publishers that utilize software does not mean they have partnered with publishers that you believe to be parasitic - likewise if they offer rewards. I do not believe that disclosing whether an advertiser works with publishers that use sofware of offer rewards would be telling you anything that would help you make a business decision.

As I said above, you need to contact advertisers yourself and ask them about their marketing partners and strategies to see if they are working with publishers that are inconsistent with how you would do business.
    Todd Crawford

On the subject of suggestions and I know this has been mentioned before. Why doesn't CJ implement a system whereas the CJ servers would ping the merchants servers regularly to see if their servers are indeed tracking sales.

But Todd, providing that information Would In fact help us make business decisions consistent with how we wish to do business.

You wouldn't even have to disclose who DOES it ...Just let us know who DOES NOT.

Then, based on that information, we can make those desired business decisions. We can decide to apply to those merchants instead of just looking elsewhere for GOOD partners.

As for "asking advertisers yourself", that is Part of the Monumental Task you have when using independents.

JJJay,
    This is off topic. Please start a new thread and I will respond.

Thanks,
    Todd Crawford

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Yeeks, I find myself agreeing with Happypoon and Andy on this one issue.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Ideally, this information should be displayed in CJ's (and all other networks) interface, but it's not.

But, in the two minutes it takes to email the AM and ask, you find out the 2nd most important thing in an affiliate relationship - what kind of AM you'll be dealing with.

Yes, we all have merchants with a "dead" AM that still convert well, but the majority of our relationships need a live, helpfull, proactive AM to thrive.

So a two minute investment on your time can tell you a lot of IMPORTANT things you NEED to know before you committ to the relationship.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread