Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    For the last 5 years I have promoted a specific merchant and averaged about 50 to 75 sales EVERY MONTH.

This merchant moved from the network they were on to CJ in late March.

And guess what...sales are down 97%...same merchant, same banners, same text in the links. They all go to the same place.

The traffic is the same targetted traffic I have generated for the last 5 years.

what does this tell you about the 'trusted 3rd party' guys?

Go figure.

I hope you would have brought this to the attention of the merchant. I think most here suspect this is a much more widespread problem at CJ and other programs.
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

Definitely contact the merchant and ask them what's going on. Doesn't seem to be any reason for this, other than a tracking problem.

Let us know what they say when (if) you hear back from them.

Andy

hmmm sounds to me like cj said to that merchant would you like to partner with our great 180solutions whenu and gator partners to me
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Is the merchant Lamps Plus?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Merchant and CJ both dropped the ball on launching this one without through testing of the tracking cookie. Might be a Yahoo store front as the free Yahoo affiliate tag still might be active, which auto kills CJ's custom yahoo store tag. The old network sales parsing tag might be whacking the CJ reporting. The merchant might have installed a common "clickstream data mining" program killing off tracking or making it haywire.

Regardless the merchant is blowing smoke up all your butts if they didn't notice something wrong immediately after going live.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    "same merchant, same banners, same text in the links. "

If they switched networks i assume you got new banners, text links etc.

Can't be Lamps Plus, they weren't on a network.

So you're saying that in April you had the same amount of click-throughs but just generated 2 sales instead of 50-75? If that's the case, it certainly sounds like a tracking problem of some kind.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    If sales were down by 30%, that's a problem.
    sales down 97%, that's the merchant problem or you problem, parasotes are not at 97%.. yet
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

I looked at network wide stats ans imps, clicks, leads, sales and commisions seem normal. It sounds like you may have some advertiser or code specific issues.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

A few possibilities

1. Parasites (but shouldn't be that much)

2. Norton/Mcafee ... (But not all people using)

3. Merchant does not setup tracking properly. (I think this is the reason)

If your sales is down by around 30% like Fer said, that means your merchant is setting up the tracking properly and everything is running as expected. Because the 30% has been taken by parasites, Norton and Mcafee.

ABW Ambassador
    Can't be 1 or 2 since the merchant came from another network. All networks go thru the same problems.

Is it ebay? I noticed a pretty significant drop when they switched to CJ.

Now that you mention it, the drop is probably around 90%.

Thats interesting keith. But, i heard that ebay have extended their business realtionship with CJ fr another 2 years..If they did not do well with CJ, where is the question of extending their relationship??

quote:
    If they did not do well with CJ, where is the question of extending their relationship??

Well, If they are paying 90% less in comissions, but getting the exact same traffic, then it would seem to make sense that they would want to extend the relationship.

now that makes sense.

One thing that I recently learned is that ebay cookies compete with affiliate cookies:

" cookies from eBay’s natural search traffic will compete with cookies from all other affiliates and partners".

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I looked at network wide stats ans imps, clicks, leads, sales and commisions seem normal.

Sounds like a reporting issue then. Commissions accidentally credited to the wrong "publisher"?

As for eBay, it is no reporting issue.

If a user clicks through on eBay fromn your site and makes a bid. But, later in the day they search Google and directly click through to eBay's site, eBay's cookie wins and the publisher does not get anything.

I am going to cease my affiliation with eBay because I consider this to be an eBay scam.

If I sent the original traffic, but the user later visits eBay through Google. I should get the credit.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    If I sent the original traffic, but the user later visits eBay through Google. I should get the credit.

No, you shouldn't. Last cookie wins. That's been the rule in affiliate marketing since day one. If the visitor had returned via another affiliate, you wouldn't be saying this. Why the hell should merchants pay you for traffic that didn't convert.

ABW Ambassador
    what markymark said.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    No, you shouldn't. Last cookie wins.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the premise, but if someone makes a bid, I'd consider that a sale even if the same buyer goes back to ebay a dozen times later through a dozen different links. If a buyer makes a purchase from any other merchant, the commission isn't transfered if the buyer later revisits the site through another affiliate.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, misread the original post. Apologies for that. I believe that EBay does credit affiliates with their nickel for the bid - that should happen automagically at the time the bid was placed.

I was thinking more about the many posts I've read from affiliates who believe that even if the sale came from a search engine or PPC listing that they should be paid if their's was the last affiliate cookie set.

Normally, I would agree with you MarkyMark. Last cookie does and should win.

I think it is unclear on eBay's behalf what their cookie overrides. My understanding is that If I send someone, they bid, then they come back through Google and even look at anything on the eBay site and not even bid, then ebay gets credit.

Essentially, if they check to see how the bidding is going by going through a Google link, then I lose the sale.

I appreciate the analogy of a bid being a sale.
    Many of these bids are for "Buy It Now" items.
    If they bought it through my link, it should be end of story. It shouldn't matter that they visit ebay through Google later in the day.

quote:

Sounds like a reporting issue then. Commissions accidentally credited to the wrong "publisher"?

HMMMMM. I heard THAT one before! And guess what! I still do not have resolution! (Been a month!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast