do any of you guys see an affiliate partnership with ebay profitable? why?

thanks.

well, we can start with "partnership." I don't see one any more.

I've reduced my links to very few until I see/hear some improvement in the program.

Depends on your buiness model. I am a Ebay Live Auction site so it is very profitable to be an affiliate with Ebay. With me, it more then covers any listing costs with extra left over.

Brian

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Personally, I think they need to shift away from pay per lead and more into pay per sale. Raise it from a nickel to, say, thirty cents per transaction, they would get my attention.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

eBay used to be great. But if I were going to start out with them right now, I'd take a pass on them. They need to get their program fixed.

The lousy nickel per bid is ridiculous. They ought to drop the lead fees and raise the bid payouts, with a bonus for Buy It Nows, since that closes the auction. We should get at least a dollar for those.

Andy

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    If they raised the bid payment, they'd have to make it for winning bids only, which would lead to another reversal nightmare.

Although I can see an argument for the value of BIN's to be raised. :^)

Heck, I would be happy with a percentage of winning bids. 5% is okay, with a bonus for certain levels of payouts. At least that way eBay would get some affiliates promoting expensive auctions. They would get more traffic looking to buy boats, cars, houses, rings, motorcycles, what have you.

This $5/lead which most likely gets reversed and reversing nickels fer chrissake is more of an irritant than a money maker for me.

If they went to a % of sales, I'd promote them once more.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not adding eBay to any new sites, removed them entirely from one, and am only leaving up eBay specific pages that have already been indexed on sites I'm redesigning...
    For the most part, I'm replacing them w/ adsense... When asked why they're gone (editor kit listings) and I explain my reasoning, the response has always been in agreement and usually followed by "F--- eBay!" :P
    If they ever pull their heads out of their asses, you betcha I'll promote them more, but I'm not holding my breath..
    Hi, I'm a signature.

I dumped them from almost all of my sites too. My earning went from several thousand dollars per month to several hundred when they changed their program recently. It's no longer worth it. Ebay's affiliate program is dead to me.

ebay are worth having in the battery of merchants to call on, but I wouldn't rely on them for a solid amount per month. I use them for stuff where there's no real affiliate programme elsewhere, for rare and collectors stuff or for "hot" items that come and go.

The nickel bids are an irritation and I'd rather they didn't clutter up my CJ stats - 200 for $10 what's the point? Add the 5c reversals in too and it's doubly irritating.

I use the sniplet generator which I always open in a new floating window and they do fine.

thanks to all who participated and shared their opinion.

This thread really helped me on my decision.

I am sure ebay will hear about this thread and hopefully put some improvements on their aff program.

thanks y'all!

T.N.T.,

You might want to check this thread out
    Here

I just joined there, I don't know if they're good or not yet but, the pricester.com site looks interesting.

Sal.

new email today announcing some kind of dynamic ad or ad-served something. when you go to what they claim is a sample, you actually have to go into CJ to see ebay's page of 45 "advanced" ads.

I still don't know which one is capable of showing an ad based on content, which is what I think they are talking about.

Adsense rules.....don't bother with e-bay...all it does is make my CJ page look very red with reversals.

Malc - www.gadgets4kitchens.com is this months site of the year (in my opinion of course )
    Adverts

Thank you all for a very engaging and thoughtful thread! The eBay Affiliate Program is always seeking input from our community of affiliates and we are interested in your thoughts on an eBay revenue sharing model and how it should be structured.

We welcome your ideas on a rev share structure and any tools that might supplement the proposed model. Please visit the eBay Affiliate Discussion Boards for the latest news regarding our program and to share your thoughts about rev share: http://forums.ebay.com/db1/forum.jsp?forum=118

Thank you,
    The eBay Affiliate Team
    http://affiliates.ebay.com

Thank you for dropping by form time to time, and thank you for the link.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread