The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    If you go to Boscov's main page, there's a pop-up "join our email list" screen.

I was just on a coupon site, and clicked their page about Boscov's, and Boscov's email popup popped up!!!

I never clicked thru to boscovs.

Checked my cookies and sure enough it was there - listed as a popunder.

Is this cookie stuffing?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    If the cookie set was an affiliate tracking cookie, then yes.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    setting a cookie without any physical click being performed is "cookie stuffing". Merchants employing this often overwrite affiliate tracking cookies with a house account cookie via some alert/promo/e-mail gathering popup. sneaky!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

The boscovs popup appeared bedore I clicked thru to boscovs - so I'm assuming it originated with the coupon site.

Odd, the coupon site lists about 2 dozen department stores, and they are all mentioned in my cookie.

Billy,

Copy and paste the contents of the cookie in a pm to me along with the cookie name (ie yourusername@whateverdomain) and I can let you know.

It is possible to auto set a Merchant's cookie from the affiliate site without the Merchant's site "showing" as a browser load. In these cases, you WILL sometimes see any any pop up the Merchant may be using load on the affiliate's site.

Billy,

Got your pm. Definite cookie stuffing of the tracking cookie. At just a quick glance of the page in question, it appears they are using iframes to set it through a js call.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Guess I know who will be first when I "Clean House" shortly!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Cheesehead,

I have no idea as to whether or not Boscov condones such activity or not. Someone else may know.

They may not even be aware the affiliate in question is engaging in such activity. Then again they may. Just don't know.

Before you dump Boscov's, see if they will take care of the situation. Most merchants are against cookie stuffing tactics.

I wrote it right into our affiliate terms of service, and take care of anyone doing it as soon as I see it (or am alerted to it).

As a merchant, it is hard to monitor what everyone is doing. Sometimes it needs to be brought to our attention before we can fix a problem.

Is this cookie stuffing?

Just as sure as one hand is in the cookie jar, and cookie crumbs are on their lips!

Andy

quote:
    I have no idea as to whether or not Boscov condones such activity or not. Someone else may know.

http://www.boscovs-affiliate-program...agreement.html

Boscov's Affiliate Agreement:

"4. In addition, you may not:" [snip, snip] "(b) in any way modify, redirect, suppress, or substitute the operation of any button, link, or other interactive feature of our site;"

Sounds to me that cookie stuffing is forbidden.

Also see the last part of Section 11: "Should you be a participant in any fraud with respect to our site, you agree to repay us all dollars that we have paid you under this Program, to forgo any amounts we might owe you, and to be responsible for all of our costs in identifying and recovering any fraudulent disbursements or shipments. You should also understand that it is our general policy to prosecute fraud that we detect to the fullest extent possible under the law."

Interesting . . .
    Mike Allen | <a href="https://twitter.com/mta1">@mta1</a>
    <a href="http://www.businesswright.com">Businesswright Consulting</a> | <a href="http://www.shopping-bargains.com">Shopping-Bargains</a>

Boscov's was NOT involved (I just used them as an example because the popup window before clicking thru was a dead giveaway) - and the situation is being taken care of - suffice it to say... one down, many more to go...

I sent the URL to a few selected ABWers - and they all saw the cookie stuffing.

I sent the URL to some selected/affected merchants, and they all saw the cookie stuffing (and emailed me they will be taking appropriate action)

I sent to URL to "generic support" at Linkshare, and after I had to explain what cookie stuffing was (shouldn't they know this kind of stuff??), next day they said they forwarded it to Legal Dept for action.

Sent the same URL to AAQ at CJ and they said "Gee, I don't see it, but thanks anyway". (It wasn't Garret or Liz!!)

Wonder how they could not see a pop-up window before clicking thru to merchant. Wonder how they did not see all the cookies that were set in their cookie file?

Anyway, Todd, I'm PMing you the URL. If I'm an idiot, great - call me an idiot.

But if the support guy doesn't know what to look for, maybe a quick tutorial is in order.

quote:
    Originally posted by Billy Kay:
    Sent the same URL to AAQ at CJ and they said "Gee, I don't see it, but thanks anyway". (It wasn't Garret or Liz!!)

Wonder how they could not see a pop-up window before clicking thru to merchant. Wonder how they did not see all the cookies that were set in their cookie file?

Just wondering here what would happen if they had a popup blocker installed. Would they see the popup or popunder and if not, would the cookie still be set anyway?
    Mike Allen | <a href="https://twitter.com/mta1">@mta1</a>
    <a href="http://www.businesswright.com">Businesswright Consulting</a> | <a href="http://www.shopping-bargains.com">Shopping-Bargains</a>

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread