2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I used to show sales every month for this CJ merchnat and all of a sudden in February 2004 all sales ceased. I look over there site and now see the culpret was one Bonsai Boys also took to divert affiliate sales. HUGE 1-800# banners with action calls on top of every page to place more orders to a non-commissioned call center.

Obviously I need some way to over come this diversion but they don't offer individual product links to focus landing pages on some great buys.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Okay it looks like there is a limit after all, and that place has crossed it!

When I talked about selling despite an 800 number, I was talking about when the merchant has it like in that button ad (just the number). Prominent, but not all that enticing when a person has decided to buy online. And not giant call-to-action advertisements.

For a lot of product types, even those giant ads may not get many customers over to the call center. But I would think that most average-Joe-and-Joann type people have questions about buying blinds or installing wallpaper, so in this case it's probably causing a significant bleed-off.

quote:
    they don't offer individual product links

The ads are on every page so that wouldn't help enough, or at least not for this type of products. Plus there are a lot of questions to be answered before buying blinds even if the person knows exactly what look they want. Is the size right? Do they need extenders? Should they get 8-guage or 10? Metal or vinyl? (Yes I have recently been doing actual shopping for blinds.)

Bah...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Two points:

1) these are not banners for their affiliate program, they are creative on their landing pages.

2) a product catalog should be available in a few weeks.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    One point:

Merchants with diversionary tactics get dumped.

Internet Cowboy
    I hope those phones are ringing from traffic they generate on their own, because they have slapped their affiliate publishers in the face by placing those atop every page.
    I would suggest they save their time in setting up a product catalog because nobody in their right mind would use it.
    As for me.....PUBLISHER EXPIRED for these nice people!
    Bye Bye
    Scott

Another point:

Tactics like this are solely to remove the affiliate commission from the picture. Blantant banners like this are not necessary for a company to provide good customer service.

Dump 'em! Tell them they can save their time and energy in rolling out that product catalog. No one will need it!

Andy

If their product catalog is in the form of a datafeed I'm not spending $250 for the privelige of them paying for their 1-800 number with my lost commissions anyway.

If I can promote them for free the least they can do is furnish the datafeed to do it with for free.

which maybe they will, I really don't know anything about them so what do I know!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread