Who's good at math? If WhenU has a "Network audience of more than 30 million active desktops" (http://www.whenu.com/about.html) and the population is less than 300 million in the US, isn't that a signifigant # that we are competing against?

I know some people have more than one computer. I mean, I personally have 7 laptops. And it's possible that 29 million installs are in other countries.

What gets me is even if it's only 3 million active Americans, that's a lot of barries to my cookie penetration.

I had to take a day job with the rapid decline of eBay revenues. I installed a weather app from WhenU and saw eBay popups implying discounts like "save instantly on this purchase"

Who wouldn't click on that even though it isn't valid for most purchases?

I got the popup when visiting the eBay discussion board through a book mark. Now if I buy something WhenU gets paid. All because i visited a message board!

How can I compete against that?

And why do companies like eBay pay for leads and sales on their own site that people came from Google or just typed "ebay.com" into their browser?

eBay and other companies are paying for leads that aren't leads.

I don't know who the biggest sucker is.

Who's good at math? Who would like to extrapolate these numbers?

What I'd like to know to help determine the sucker feature is how much of WhenU's success is showing great stats and dollar transactions to advertisers to show them how effective they are.

I mean, if I could meet someone in an aisle at my local WalMart then get a commision for walking them to the checkout, WalMart would look like a fool.

I'm just rambling. Sites like mine that were built around eBay are seriously hurt by the recent changes. I know all of this has been said before. I just can't understand why eBay would pay WhenU $16 for "leads" that should be free but they will only pay the little guy $5 and reverse a lot of that.

Finally I wanted to let you know that the company I work for during the day got slammed this week with spyware removal calls.

I personally have worked past midnight this week cleaning these machines up and myself alone has billed more than $1000 this week on spyware removals.

Things are going to change. Look for big technology advances this summer for Windows users and then the lawsuits and then the new laws.

How long can WhenU last? Maybe not too much longer.

I hope we can outlast this latest challenge.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Report them to the FTC as that's the only Fed agency tasked with passing laws to make Whenu and their Ilk's hidden and drive-by installs illegal.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

15 years and counting
    quote:
    I personally have worked past midnight this week cleaning these machines up and myself alone has billed more than $1000 this week on spyware removals.

You should send the bill to the networks like Linkshare, Performics and CJ.
    They are the ones monetizing these crooks, spreading the disease and making a profit.
    Your customers and affiliates like us are the victims.

Be sure to send a complaint to eBay about the WhenU pop up as well. Promising to "save now on this purchase" when there is no savings is deceptive, and should not be tolerated.

eBay knows it's crawled in bed with crooks, and their business model depends on the trust of the people who use eBay. eBay is proving to not be very trustworthy lately. They need to clean up their act.

Andy

Internet Cowboy
    I guess the bottom line is that we must make sure we represent merchants who don't participate in such tomfoolery.
    Am I correct that if an advertiser does not participate with WhenU, then no popups will show when the customer is on their page with our freshly-loaded cookie?
    Scott

Isn't there an Affiliate National Organization or something like that, to represent us a group.

We need to fight this together people and communicate, with honesty, ethics and morale values here, these issues are a stake in our business world.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Unfortunately wachywoman their is just the few of us over the years yelling down the sewer grating at the affiliate industry underworld.

They come out occassionally, when the heat turns up, and do PR spin hoping we hang of their words as if the truth is coming from the mouths of GWB-Kerry and Howard dean.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    Am I correct that if an advertiser does not participate with WhenU, then no popups will show when the customer is on their page with our freshly-loaded cookie?

Not completely.

No popups for the nonparticipating merchant will show.

But that merchant's *competitor* may pop up on the site, (promising a "better deal" or somesuch). While your cookie for the nonparticipating merchant may stay intact in that scenario, the competing pop may still lure the customer over to another site altogether. There have been lawsuits over this from sites targeted by WhenU (for instance, 1-800 Contacts sued to keep competing pops off their site).

Yes it sucks that parasites can interfere even when the merchant you're dealing with is parasite-free.

At least if you're dealing with a nonparasitic merchant, the cookie will stay intact and there's a chance that the customer will ignore any competing pops. How much of a chance it is, I suppose depends on how compelling the competing offer is. And, of course, some people "X" all pops without reading them as a matter of course.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread